Comment from: deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 54 year old woman and was hospitalized with a very large saddle pulmonary embolism last November. I had been very unwell with shortness of breath, palpitations, a terrible cough, and chest and back pain. I am on Xarelto for life and have suffered depression and anxiety. It's been a long and painful journey and my biggest fear is that the clot will recur.

Comment from: JudeM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

Besides childbirth, the pain from the pulmonary embolism (PE) was the most unbearable I have ever experienced. I am 48 years old, a non-smoker and overall quite healthy. I have been very tired for the past few months and I noticed getting winded just going up 14 steps to the bedroom. I figured I was out of shape because I haven't been walking in the lousy weather. The pain woke me up out of my sleep about 1:30 in the morning. When I got out of bed the stabbing pain took me down to the floor and I couldn't breathe without horrible pain. I cried which made everything even worse. I thought it was a heart attack and figured this was the end. The pain was on my right side from my spine to my breast bone, my shoulder and down my arm. I drove to the emergency room (ER) the next day and they found the PE with a CT scan. I was immediately put on blood thinners and pain medications. I spent 2 and a half days in the hospital. I will be on blood thinners for 4 to 6 months. Bleeding is ridiculous. One little stab, and there was a puddle of blood. Very scary! This whole mess was due to birth control pills. If I knew then what I know now!

Comment from: northwestgordon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Following knee surgery, a few days after taking it easy, I was outside feeding our ranch dog. As I was making my way back to the house, I took in a breath that felt like I just entered a walk-in restaurant freezer, it felt ice cold. Suddenly my heart rate started racing, and as I walked up the steps to my front door I felt very weak and faint. When I made it to the door, I just lay down on my back as I was about to black out. My heart started calming down, I started to think clearly again, so I got up and opened the door, and my heart started racing again as I tried to get to our bedroom where my wife was sleeping. I made it to the couch where I collapsed again. Then after a while, I calmed down and made it to the bedroom and collapsed on the bed and woke up my wife. She had to take me to the hospital for an ultrasound, and then they had me take anti-coagulant shots for a couple of weeks before starting me on Coumadin. I really didn't experience much pain at all with my pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Katie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been having wheezing and some shortness of breath. I thought it was due to my asthma. I have also had some mild chest pain and shoulder pain. I went to urgent care, who sent me to the emergency room. Thank goodness! They ran blood tests, and a CT scan which found the blood clot (pulmonary embolism) in my lower lung. I was hospitalized and given shots. I am now home and on Xarelto.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (PE) in May 2014 and this was the scariest time of my life as I was 8 months pregnant! The pain started in my right leg; I had large veins that spread up to my groin. I went to the doctor and he told me it's just varicose veins! My boyfriend massaged my calf muscle after I finished work which felt good as my calf was so painful. I then went for a Doppler scan on my leg and it was negative. I think it was too late, the clot had already moved. I experienced shortness of breath but mainly heart palpitations and anxiety. I still would like to know how I got this clot and why. Consultants say it is all pregnancy related but I'm still not convinced. I had lots of blood tests they are all ok. I'm on warfarin now for 9 months.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I may have had a blood clot in my left lung (according to my doctor) the day after I had sat in a prone, slightly tilted downward position for 2-1/2 hours in the dentist's office. The night of the day following I awoke with severe sharp pains on the left side of my chest. I could not take a deep breath. This lasted about 15 minutes, gradually decreasing. The pulmonary embolism must have taken care of itself spontaneously.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?