Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Jayde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 36 years old and was on birth control pills. I'm also a nonsmoker. I started having a lot of pain in my left shoulder. I thought I pulled a muscle. Then that night the pain started under my left breast bone, and continued into the left side of my back. It wasn"t going away so the next morning I went into emergency room. They did a scan and found I had blood clots in both my lungs. They said it was from birth control pills. I was hospitalized for 5 days. I am now on warfarin and was on the shots in my abdomen for 5 days. I will be on warfarin for 6 to 9 months. Please be aware of the risks of birth control pills, and please go to emergency if you have any unusual pain.

Comment from: Exprssurslf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a healthy 41 year old women who started out with just an ordinary urinary tract Infection. I went to be checked to see if my kidneys were part of the UTI (urinary tract infection) because I had left flank pain from my side around my back and then the pain radiated up into my shoulder and neck, but only on my right side. It lasted the entire day and into the night. My doctor told me that if the pain didn"t go away, to go to the emergency room. After the pain woke me up in the night, it was then making me short of breath and I couldn"t inhale fully. I finally went to the ER. A CT showed several blood clots in both my left and my right lungs. I have no risk factors for pulmonary embolism. Good thing I listen to my gut!

Comment from: Promethius, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have not been diagnosed yet with pulmonary embolism. I"ve been having increasing shortness of breath with heart speeding up when I try to do anything like walk outside or pick something up from floor or even talk while washing my hands. I thought it was worsening anemia since I do have anemia, though have not had this breathing symptoms as bad as this. Then during the night and today suddenly I got severe shoulder pain in left shoulder for no reason. Yesterday I had stabbing pain near the breast, which I thought maybe was a breast problem and dismissed it. The shoulder is hard to ignore. I have autoimmune disorders and have wondered for quite some time if I have antiphospholipid antibodies, but so far no one will test. Oddly, nearly a year ago I went to the emergency room for 10 out of 10 pain in other shoulder which was never really diagnosed; I don"t know if that"s related to this. I haven"t been out much due to snow so it's hard to assess if I can breathe doing normal stuff like shop. In terms of preceding leg pain, because of autoimmune stuff I often get leg pain and heaviness and muscles stuff, so telling what"s different and what's usual leg pain is hard.

Comment from: Diana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am 65 and just had knee replacement surgery. Two days later my blood pressure dropped drastically (but no other symptoms) and I was sent for a CT scan which showed I have a blood clot in my lungs. I was put on a heparin IV for 4 days and am now taking rivaroxaban, it's an alternative to warfarin which is rat poison and it demands lots of blood tests etc. It's expensive but well worth it!

Comment from: Janesman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with PE (pulmonary embolism) twice within the last 2.5 years. My symptoms were not the usual. I had no shortness of breath, no problems listening to the lungs, D-dimer test negative, pain was in my right side lower abdomen. All tests were negative to PE, but I eventually found out that I had a large clot both times. Only severe pain the first time, and my insistence to my family doctor the second time, that I needed to be admitted into hospital probably saved my life.

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I broke my foot and had to have surgery to have a metal screw put in. Two months later I woke up one morning with pain in my right ribcage radiating into my back and up into the right side of my chest. I didn't consider it a heart attack since it was on the right side and I don't have a gall bladder so I thought I'd dislocated a rib since I'd done it before. The next evening as I climbed into bed I had a searing pain in the left side of my chest and I knew I was going to pass out. I tried to get to my husband but passed out. When I came to, I managed to crawl through the door and get his attention. I was taken by ambulance to an emergency room where the nurse and doctor that cared for me immediately had suspicions and sent me for a CT right away. I had a massive PE (pulmonary embolism) and was transferred to a hospital with an available ICU. It was 10 days before I came home. I was put on a heparin IV, Lovenox shots and Coumadin. They finally removed the heparin but then my liver enzymes went way up. Finally they put me back on the heparin and stopped the Lovenox which finally resulted in my enzyme levels dropping. I am now home and on 7.5mg of Coumadin per day. I am extremely fatigued though and wondering when I will be back to normal.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.