Comment from: kind girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 45-year-old female, who is reasonably healthy. I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism two months ago. I was placed on warfarin (Coumadin) tablets each day. I go for weekly blood tests to check my INR levels. The trouble is, the INR levels are very erratic. I am presently taking 12.5 mgs of warfarin each day. The doctor would like INR levels to stay between 2.0 and 3.0 (target), but warfarin 12.5 doesn't seem to be able to keep the INR levels stable. They bounce up and down from 1.1 to 3.1 Apparently, diet is a big contributing factor.

Comment from: jess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I'm 28 years old and otherwise very healthy. However, I was on medroxyprogesterone and had a pulmonary embolism. As a result, I had an infarction on my lower lobe of my lung, which then resulted in a lower lobectomy. For the past three years, I have had ongoing medical treatment and have been diagnosed with chronic pleurisy. I have, as they tell me, severe nerve damage and am constantly in pain.

Comment from: rsqman68, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

My symptoms began just after dinner week. I felt a squeezing pressure in my center chest, difficulty breathing, dizzy, and light headed. I took two Tums, the chest pressure went away and the other symptoms eased off. The next morning as I was getting ready for work I passed out three times. I went to the emergency room where I underwent a 12 lead EKG, a D-Dime test, chest x-ray, CT scan of head and lungs, an Echo cardiogram of the heart, and ultrasound of the carotid arteries and legs. Now on Coumadin and Lovenox probably long term.

Comment from: StMiP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

With Factor V, just one chromosome affected, even with Coumadin, I started having pain on my left side of my chest from my waist to my arm pit. I have had pleurisy before; however, I did not have a cold, sinus infection, or any bronchial cough. This narrowed down the possible causes. After four days the pain was worse with heavy breathing, sharp pain, and slight shortness of breath. Was sent for a CAT Scan and found two pulmonary embolisms, one in each lung. Was inpatient for four days and switched from Coumadin to Arixtra as the shots do not have nearly the food/other medication interactions. I did have pleurisy which is subsiding and hoping the shots will work better to keep new clots from forming. A year before I had 7 DVT's in my right leg which was not good, but this is the first time I had clots anywhere else which is much more concerning. Any similar symptoms will make me immediately go to my doctor or ER if after hours. Time is always critical.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I woke up to severe pain on my right side. I first thought I slept wrong, like on my arm, but after a few and I mean a few seconds, the pain when I would breathe was unbearable. I couldn't breathe and was getting light-headed, my wife rushed me to the hospital were the ER doctor, knew what was wrong and started treatment immediately and found both lungs were full of clots. After being admitted and more testing I was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden. I spent 13 days in the hospital on Lovinox shots twice daily and Warfrin oral tablets.

Comment from: Curly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had been feeling short of breath for a couple of months, and thought, wow, am I really that out of shape? It was getting worse and worse, and I began to have pains in my back and chest. Looking back, I did have cramping in my leg, but thought nothing of it. It is so important to listen to your body. I didn't think it was too serious, and I was initially told it was anxiety. Then asthma. I collapsed at work, and thankfully my coworkers called 911. It was found that I had hundreds of blood clots in both lungs. A week long hospital stay, and two months later, I am still having fatigue and a bit of shortness of breath with too much activity or talking. But it is getting better, and I am thankful to be alive. Always listen to your body, and do not take things for granted. Get checked out, and demand your healthcare provider be thorough. This could have turned out very different.

Published: August 10

I am a 38 year old male, african american, when I was diagnosed with blood clot in my right lung. My chest pain began on Tuesday but because I am in the military and in good health I just thought of it as a gas pocket that was moving through the body. I couldn't take a full deep breathe and my shoulder was having very sharp pain to the point it hurt to lift it. It wasn't until that Friday that I went to the hospital because now the shortness of breath worsen to where I couldn't take a normal breath without the sharp pain. So I went into the ER and they did X-rays, CT scan and found that I had an elevated diaphragm and blood clot in my right lung. Now I'm taking blood thinner until my INR get up to 2 or 3. Doctor said I will be on blood thinner for the rest of my life.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?