Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: anice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I I am 25 and was diagnosed 2 months ago with a PE, and have been weak, tired and developed Restless Leg Syndrome. It has been very trying and I still don't feel like things are working. It's very trying.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had 3 blood clots hit my lungs so far, they installed a filter in my leg on Kumiden for life and have a pace maker. My heart seems to quiver at times producing more blood clots. I have lost 60% to 70% of lung tissue, moving from one room to another. I am out of breath and close to a panic attack. I am 69 and on Medicare so no chance of lung replacement. I live alone and find ways to do what I have to, life is still worth while to me.

Comment from: Sal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was just diagnosed with a PE. I am a very healthy male with no risk factors. I just completed a half marathon. I took a day off and went back to my usual routine, which includes running and weight lifting. I had severe back pain for a day. I thought I pulled a muscle. The following day I became very short of breath. I went to the ED and via CT was diagnosed. All tests came back negative. The doctors stated that this is a strange case. I was hospitalized on heparin for a week and discharged on warfarin. I still don't know and never will know what caused the PE.

Comment from: vmcmillen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed, I had a kind of hard dull something moving into my right side, it was like when someone swallows a large grape, and you feel it go down the esophagus, hard, well my "grape" seemed to stop in the middle of my chest. It had happened several times a day for two or three days, when my sister finally insisted I go to the ER. They did blood work, and a CAT scan, and saw several clots in my right lung. Women, listen to your body, if something unusual starts that isn't necessarily painful, keep track of it, it may save your life.

Comment from: JOYCE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had sudden acute pain in the chest, shortness of breath and felt I lost the use of my legs for approx 15 minutes. I felt I could not exhale or inhale my breath. I was admitted to the hospital where I was told there was nothing wrong with me. I am very worried as I had an aneurysm on my lung 4 years ago which got treated with an embolization.

Comment from: Cynthia669, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I did have shortness of breath followed by the chest pain. I thought I was having a heart attack. I was lucky the doctor said 2 more days and I would have died. I will be on blood thinners probably for the rest of my life he says, but at least I'm still alive!

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

Felt like a gas pocket in my shoulder. Pain would subside when I tried walking around. Never would have thought it were blood clots in my lungs. The doctor wanted me to go to the ER because I have bleeding disorder and thought I might have been bleeding internally. Good thing I went! Pain continued to get worse over 12 hour period. Felt like pleurisy pain in the hospital, hard to breath, yawn, etc. It is complicated to treat my condition with blood thinners and also having bleeding disorder. Still working on a treatment plan.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My husband is finally home after nine days in the hospital from a pulmonary embolism. We would have never known he had three blood clots in his left lung. He is still doing so-so and he has to take three blood thinners. He is not out of the woods yet.

Comment from: Cameron, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was playing volleyball and I discovered I was having shortness of breath and black out spells and decided to go to the emergency room. They told me I had a pulmonary embolism in my right lung and deep venous thrombosis in my right arm. If I hadn't have went, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.