Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It all started with a pain under my right rib cage. I thought I had pulled a muscle because I had the flu and had been vomiting for a couple days. The pain did not subside after a couple of days. Then the pain moved under my right rib cage with cramping and shortness of breath. I went to the emergency room. I was told a had blood clots in each of the three lobes of my right lung, scary! I was admitted immediately, given hephron IV, and started on coumadin right away. I'm feeling great now with no pain at all. I just a little short of breath, but that is to be expected for a little while while my lungs heal. I never imagined that this was possible. I'm active not sickly. The doctors are doing extensive blood work to find out how and why I got the clots.

Comment from: Ouroborus, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 29 year old male. I initially had a nagging cough that refused to go away and did not respond to antibiotics. After a couple of weeks I started having trouble with stairs. The problem got progressively worse until I could not keep up with a walking five year old. I went to my doctor again when I started coughing up blood, he ordered a Quantitative D-dimer test which came back very high. He told me to go to emergency. I arrived at emergency barely coherent with Sp02 of 89%.

Comment from: Palenaka, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My 55 year old husband has been very tired and has had shortness of breath for quite a while. He got up in the early morning to go to the bathroom and passed out hitting his head on the bed. I took him to our family doctor who referred him to a heart specialist, immediately. He was admitted to the hospital where they started all kinds of tests. Both of his lungs had several blood clots. He was put in ICU where they started Coumadin and heparin. My worry is how do the doctors get rid of all these blood clots? They say if they cause more problems, they will blast them at the Hospital. This is very dangerous.

Comment from: ernie1109, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

About 35 years ago I had a massive pulmonary embolism (PE) and my lung collapsed a month after surgery. I felt nauseated and had a pain in my back. The PE covered 3/4 of my right lung and it collapsed a week later. At the same time, my aunt and my uncle also had a massive one. It was determined it was hereditary. In 2000 after moving, the new doctor told me if there is a Protein deficiency of C & S there was indication blood clots would happen. I am on Coumadin for the rest of my life. Grateful for new discoveries in medicine that keeps me alive. I am 80, watch my health carefully, and live a normal life.

Comment from: Warren, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I experienced no pain with pulmonary embolism but 4 times in about a half hour I had to hold on to something to keep from falling. The last time it was a cab and he drove me to the hospital where I stayed in emergency for five days. I had 2 cat scans and numerous other tests. I am now on coumadin.

Comment from: gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

With my pulmonary embolism, I experienced pain the lower legs at night, which kept me awake. I also had pain in the chest and I was coughing blood.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Most of the comments here mention pain. However, pain is not a requirement! I had the flu, and about a week and half later, I had a lot of trouble breathing. My heart was just pounding. I thought it was pneumonia and went to the doctor. Thank heavens he was overly cautious! I had clots in both lower lobes of my lungs without any pain. Four days later, I'm home from the hospital. I have no pain, and I am slowly getting my breath back.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was having trouble with breathing. I have asthma so for two weeks of taking steroids I was put in the hospital. After tests they found a clot in my right lung. Now I am giving myself shots and taking a pill.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Up until now I was a fit and healthy catering manager always on the go, don't drink smoke take drugs, I was admitted to AE in February with pain in my upper leg, after 4 days I was told that I had blood clot in my left leg, pelvis and left lung, Warfin does not work. I was on 35mg per day and I only reached 1.1 at best. I am now on Tinzaparin injections. I get short of breath chest pains and light headed pass out, my GP is concerned, but I cannot get the doctor at the hospital to do any thing, my GP thinks that they should operate on me.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?