Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I woke up to severe pain on my right side. I first thought I slept wrong, like on my arm, but after a few and I mean a few seconds, the pain when I would breathe was unbearable. I couldn't breathe and was getting light-headed, my wife rushed me to the hospital were the ER doctor, knew what was wrong and started treatment immediately and found both lungs were full of clots. After being admitted and more testing I was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden. I spent 13 days in the hospital on Lovinox shots twice daily and Warfrin oral tablets.

Comment from: Curly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had been feeling short of breath for a couple of months, and thought, wow, am I really that out of shape? It was getting worse and worse, and I began to have pains in my back and chest. Looking back, I did have cramping in my leg, but thought nothing of it. It is so important to listen to your body. I didn't think it was too serious, and I was initially told it was anxiety. Then asthma. I collapsed at work, and thankfully my coworkers called 911. It was found that I had hundreds of blood clots in both lungs. A week long hospital stay, and two months later, I am still having fatigue and a bit of shortness of breath with too much activity or talking. But it is getting better, and I am thankful to be alive. Always listen to your body, and do not take things for granted. Get checked out, and demand your healthcare provider be thorough. This could have turned out very different.

Published: August 10

I am a 38 year old male, african american, when I was diagnosed with blood clot in my right lung. My chest pain began on Tuesday but because I am in the military and in good health I just thought of it as a gas pocket that was moving through the body. I couldn't take a full deep breathe and my shoulder was having very sharp pain to the point it hurt to lift it. It wasn't until that Friday that I went to the hospital because now the shortness of breath worsen to where I couldn't take a normal breath without the sharp pain. So I went into the ER and they did X-rays, CT scan and found that I had an elevated diaphragm and blood clot in my right lung. Now I'm taking blood thinner until my INR get up to 2 or 3. Doctor said I will be on blood thinner for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I have shortness of breath, severe pain in chest when trying to take a breath, I had a tingling down my right arm, a feeling of your chest being crushed. Prior to this I'd suffered no injuries or had any pain in my legs, I just went to bed one night, woke up with this pain in my chest and thought it was a bit of indigestion at first, until I tried to move. I realized it was something more serious and called the emergency doctor out. He immediately called for the ambulance on seeing the pain I was in. It resulted in a two week stay in hospital. I was only 35 years old at the time. I suffered another pulmonary embolism two years later and have now been on Warfarin for 16 years.

Comment from: na, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I slept in my car overnight because I did not want to get a DUI. I slept in the front seat of the car with my feet trapped under the pedals because I am too tall. The next morning, I could not walk correctly because I had a cramp in my leg. I went to the doctor and the ultrasound showed it in my leg. Over the weekend it was in my lungs. This is something to take serious because since I got blood clots. I had to give myself needles in the stomach not cool.

Comment from: karenv, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had severe pain in my shoulder blade area, which came on very sudden, shortness of breath and felt sweaty. The pain level was a ten on a scale of 1-10. I thought it was a heart attack. I had an EKG, blood work that showed my potassium was a little low 3.2, a CT scan and nothing was diagnosed. I was given Prilosec, aspirin and an injection of blood thinner. I have had acid reflex on and off for years but this was nothing I have ever experienced.

Comment from: desperate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was very confused as to how I got PE. They are running test to determent how it happens. I was thinking, maybe I thought it came from me regurgitated into my lungs. I have an aneurysm in the carotid artery in my brain. I have a high family history of aneurysm. My sister, aunt, cousin, all on my mother's side has had one. I also have family history of Lupus and all types of cancer.

Comment from: vero, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a severe stabbing pain under my right breast, which increased when I took a deep breathe. The pain in turn, caused me to have shortness of breathe. It also caused me to panic, and for me to start sweating a bit.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.