Comment from: 8180JMB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

After giving birth, I had DVT in my leg. Within two days it developed into a pulmonary embolism. It went into my lungs. The ER doctors gave me an X-ray, and told me there was no sign of bronchitis or pneumonia which I knew. (I told THEM that it was a clot, and was ignored.) I was sent home three nights in a row and they told me to put a heat pack on my back. I did that and my back blistered. I didn't even know I had blistered because the pain of the clot in my lungs was overwhelmingly painful. I thought I was going to die! It wasn't until I went to a different hospital that doctors took notice of what was happening. Three weeks later I finally went home. I want people to know that if you get DVT and your lungs start hurting soon afterwards to go to hospital and make doctors take notice of what's going on! I'm sure I would've died had the second hospital sent me home.

Comment from: kevins wife, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My husband has been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism and is being treated with Coumadin (warfarin). Since being put on this, he has become confused, weak, trembley, staggers, and at times can barely speak clearly (garbled). He has been off work for almost three months now and the doctor says there is nothing wrong with him. I am not able to leave him alone for very long since he may become confused and do something very risky. Is this normal? I am at my wits end and our financial situation is going down the drain as well. He is only 45 years old, but is increasing becoming more of an invalid than is expected. I need someone else's take on this condition.

Comment from: macca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a slight pain in the chest because of pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Marillyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 71 and thought I was in good health. Two months ago, I had increasing shortness of breath resulting in a trip to the ER. I was diagnosed with PE in both lungs, spent 3 days in the hospital on heparin and am now on Coumadin for 6 mos. There was NO indication of DVT and I am fairly active - work out, etc. I have been on Arimidex for some 3 years due to a lumpectomy for breast cancer. Diagnosis indicated the PE was a result of the Arimidex. Watch those hormone treatments!

Comment from: guidance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 48-year-old female and am in good health. I recently went on vacation and felt a sharp pain on the left side of my chest. I was very scared and decided to take it easy. Upon returning home a week later, I felt the same pain, but more intense. I decided to go to the doctor and explained my symptoms. She questioned me about any recent travel. I informed her that I recently came back from vacation (via plane). I was also on birth control. I was sent to get a CT scan, an X-ray, and also had an INR test. I was admitted to the hospital for five days, and am now on warfarin and Clexane. My blood levels have not reached 2.5 and it has been over a month. I am trying not to panic too much.

Comment from: rickey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had only one episode of shortness of breath and felt like I would faint or vomit I went to the doctors office where she could find nothing wrong all vitals were normal and I felt better But something made her say I should go to er and get checked There also no real bad symptoms After awhile they did do a ddimer test and it was positive so I had the CT the doctor was waiting in the door way with the injection as I came out I had a large clot in left lung that had passed thru my heart(that was the odd feeling I had) no pain what so ever anyway had several clots on my leg. Now I still cough a lot and can fell the place where the clot was in my lung it kinda hurts.

Comment from: Apples, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 58 years old and on July 20th I fell off a step ladder and broke 4 ribs and my arm on the left side. It took almost 3 months for my arm to heal and it is fine now but my ribs are still sore. It is now December and about 2 weeks ago I started coughing and thought I might have bronchitis so I went to my doctor and she put me on antibiotics. That same night I felt sharp stabbing pains in my right side and up into my shoulder. That pain went away the next day but I felt very tired. I went to work on Monday and started feeling very short of breath and would start feeling cold and clammy. I went home after work and I slept fairly well but when I got up and started moving around the shortness of breath was worse and that is when I went to the ER. They found through a CAT scan that I had blood clots in both of my lungs the size of apples. I had no pain in my legs at any time and the only time I was inactive was for a short time when I broke my ribs and I still feel that this was the beginning of my problems.

Comment from: L.C. grand, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I did not have any pain but found myself having trouble breathing. Then I found myself getting weak and tired more easily. I went to my doctor for a regular check-up and mentioned these things to him. Since I had recent heart surgery he immediately placed me in the hospital. Where testing and a CT-scan confirmed a pulmonary embolism. I'm now on Coumadin for an indefinite time.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?