Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: Marillyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 71 and thought I was in good health. Two months ago, I had increasing shortness of breath resulting in a trip to the ER. I was diagnosed with PE in both lungs, spent 3 days in the hospital on heparin and am now on Coumadin for 6 mos. There was NO indication of DVT and I am fairly active - work out, etc. I have been on Arimidex for some 3 years due to a lumpectomy for breast cancer. Diagnosis indicated the PE was a result of the Arimidex. Watch those hormone treatments!

Comment from: guidance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 48-year-old female and am in good health. I recently went on vacation and felt a sharp pain on the left side of my chest. I was very scared and decided to take it easy. Upon returning home a week later, I felt the same pain, but more intense. I decided to go to the doctor and explained my symptoms. She questioned me about any recent travel. I informed her that I recently came back from vacation (via plane). I was also on birth control. I was sent to get a CT scan, an X-ray, and also had an INR test. I was admitted to the hospital for five days, and am now on warfarin and Clexane. My blood levels have not reached 2.5 and it has been over a month. I am trying not to panic too much.

Comment from: rickey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had only one episode of shortness of breath and felt like I would faint or vomit I went to the doctors office where she could find nothing wrong all vitals were normal and I felt better But something made her say I should go to er and get checked There also no real bad symptoms After awhile they did do a ddimer test and it was positive so I had the CT the doctor was waiting in the door way with the injection as I came out I had a large clot in left lung that had passed thru my heart(that was the odd feeling I had) no pain what so ever anyway had several clots on my leg. Now I still cough a lot and can fell the place where the clot was in my lung it kinda hurts.

Comment from: Apples, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 58 years old and on July 20th I fell off a step ladder and broke 4 ribs and my arm on the left side. It took almost 3 months for my arm to heal and it is fine now but my ribs are still sore. It is now December and about 2 weeks ago I started coughing and thought I might have bronchitis so I went to my doctor and she put me on antibiotics. That same night I felt sharp stabbing pains in my right side and up into my shoulder. That pain went away the next day but I felt very tired. I went to work on Monday and started feeling very short of breath and would start feeling cold and clammy. I went home after work and I slept fairly well but when I got up and started moving around the shortness of breath was worse and that is when I went to the ER. They found through a CAT scan that I had blood clots in both of my lungs the size of apples. I had no pain in my legs at any time and the only time I was inactive was for a short time when I broke my ribs and I still feel that this was the beginning of my problems.

Comment from: L.C. grand, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I did not have any pain but found myself having trouble breathing. Then I found myself getting weak and tired more easily. I went to my doctor for a regular check-up and mentioned these things to him. Since I had recent heart surgery he immediately placed me in the hospital. Where testing and a CT-scan confirmed a pulmonary embolism. I'm now on Coumadin for an indefinite time.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It all started with a pain under my right rib cage. I thought I had pulled a muscle because I had the flu and had been vomiting for a couple days. The pain did not subside after a couple of days. Then the pain moved under my right rib cage with cramping and shortness of breath. I went to the emergency room. I was told a had blood clots in each of the three lobes of my right lung, scary! I was admitted immediately, given hephron IV, and started on coumadin right away. I'm feeling great now with no pain at all. I just a little short of breath, but that is to be expected for a little while while my lungs heal. I never imagined that this was possible. I'm active not sickly. The doctors are doing extensive blood work to find out how and why I got the clots.

Comment from: Ouroborus, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 29 year old male. I initially had a nagging cough that refused to go away and did not respond to antibiotics. After a couple of weeks I started having trouble with stairs. The problem got progressively worse until I could not keep up with a walking five year old. I went to my doctor again when I started coughing up blood, he ordered a Quantitative D-dimer test which came back very high. He told me to go to emergency. I arrived at emergency barely coherent with Sp02 of 89%.

Comment from: Palenaka, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My 55 year old husband has been very tired and has had shortness of breath for quite a while. He got up in the early morning to go to the bathroom and passed out hitting his head on the bed. I took him to our family doctor who referred him to a heart specialist, immediately. He was admitted to the hospital where they started all kinds of tests. Both of his lungs had several blood clots. He was put in ICU where they started Coumadin and heparin. My worry is how do the doctors get rid of all these blood clots? They say if they cause more problems, they will blast them at the Hospital. This is very dangerous.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.