Comment from: stacycap, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I experienced chest pains mostly on my right side near my shoulder and right lower side. I could not inhale fully without having sharp pains and felt a lot of pressure near my sternum. I went to urgent care and they did blood tests and chest x-ray (which came back fine). My blood test was abnormal so had to get a CT scan and they found multiple blood clots in my lungs. Still don't know why or how this came along since I am 20 years old, young and healthy adult. #1 they think it is from Nuvo Ring, don't ever take it. Now I am on Coumadin 6months and Lovenox for 5 days.

Comment from: JBB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a medium amount of chest pain - right in the center of my chest. I've had angina before and thought that was what it was. I was very surprised when they said the CT scan showed a few pulmonary embolisms. No other symptoms. And then two weeks later I had another one. Same - just chest pain.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Today I am finally home after 9 long days in the hospital. I was found to have clots in both lungs. It started 3 month ago when I had my asthma so flared up I couldn't seem to get better no matter how many breathing treatments I had. I ended up with bronchial attacks and on top of that I also got a very hard case of the influenza. It took me 4 days to get rid of the high fevers. I was having a lot of coughing spasms. I noticed two weeks before than that suddenly I had a very sharp pain on my left upper arm directly into my left breast; it felt like someone had dug a knife. I thought it was because I had been coughing so hard for many weeks. Never would I have known it was clots in my lungs. I had more frequent shortness of breath especially when climbing the stairs or walking too fast. I had notice I was losing myself. My daughter took me to the ER because my breathing was getting harder and my heart started to race. She knew I was getting discoloration in my skin and the fever was not helping. If it wouldn't have been for her forcing me to go I might not be here sharing this with you. We just seem to take everything for granted and we ignore many signs that the body gives us. In my case I don't have insurance and that played a big factor. I am still young and my children need me. I am so blessed I have another chance. God Bless you.

Comment from: Dotlen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

A few weeks ago I was on a walk and became short of breath in an odd way. I thought it was related to my asthma, which I haven't had that long. The shortness of breath continued for a week. I mentioned it to my therapist, who suggested I go to the ER. I was reluctant to do so, since I didn't feel sick, but I did make an appointment to see my doctor the next day. He sent me for a chest x-ray and some blood tests. That night I had a pain in my leg that felt like a cramp. The next morning, they called to say my D-dimer test, which should be between 0 and 600, was 3,000! They said I should go to the ER, and it was found that I had PE -a bunch of small clots in my lungs, and a big clot in my leg (DVT). I guess I won't ignore symptoms anymore. I had none of the risk factors for clots.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had pain in my left breast bone and back. I was thinking maybe my bra was too tight. I was sweating a lot at night but, I was thinking early stages of menopause. I could feel something in the middle of my chest when I took a deep breath. I was unaware of the symptoms of PE. I still knew something wasn't right so I went to the ER. They ran test and admitted me to the hospital for 7 days. Watch your diet. I was feeling great then the nurse told me I could eat green vegetables. Every since, I have been feeling bad. I had my blood tested and it was a little low.

Comment from: staggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My symptoms included pain on the right side of my back, and severe pain in top of my shoulder, like I ran into a door box. At first I thought I was having another Kidney Stone attack , and then after being in emerge all day , they decided to send me home, the nurse came to check my vitals one last time and my oxygen had dropped to 79% then the panic was on. So I did have a blood clot in my right lung, and the bottom part of my lung had collapsed. Later that night is when I had the shortness of breath.

Comment from: Robin, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 77 years old and in good health. I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. After I awoke from the anesthesia, I felt some pressure on my chest which I reported to the anesthesia doctor. He called the cardiologist who sent me for tests on my heart which was fine. I went home the next day, slept well, got up the next morning, and while reading the paper, suggested to my husband that he go on his walk. Fifteen minutes later I was gasping for air. He returned home about 15 minutes after that and called 911. Had he gone to the grocery store, I'd be dead. As a prophylactic, blood thinners can and are given before operations.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?