Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your pulmonary embolism?

Comment from: christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and was in the hospital for one week. When I got home I still wasn't breathing normally so I went back to the ER they told me that my oxygen level was not good to do some blood work that they did. The doctor ordered a CT scan of my lungs and they found two blood clots in my lungs. Now that I have read information on Pulmonary Embolism it has become apparent to me that the chest pain that I was having for years was not anxiety. The lightheadedness and lack of energy wasn't depression, so it took them 5 years to figure out what was wrong with me. Don't let your chest pain go as anything because it would come and go never consistent, but very sharp pain when you breathe. The embolisms have affected my lungs so bad that I now Suffer with COPD I am 33 with four children.

Comment from: concerned friend, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

I am concerned for a co-worker, who has had chest pains for a week. She is still able to work, but only because her family is depending on her. She is about 30, African american, over weight, but, steadily losing after having a baby last year. Last week she was taken to ER from work. She complained of major chest pains. I think she said something of shortness of breath and a little on and off fainting. Stairs are a part of her job and the climb is hard. She said that right side of chest is inflamed, noticed when touched, and nausea. My aunt died of similar symptoms plus a few more that I am unsure of, don't want to ask and upset my mom. Aunt was 50.

Comment from: Bonnie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a 44 year old mother of 4. I run a small restaurant and antique store. I lead a water exercise class 4 nights a week. I am on my feet for quite a few hours a day. I developed a cough the beginning of June that has lasted all summer, just a dry nagging cough which for awhile worsened if I tried to lay flat. I often sleep propped up on pillows. For most of the summer I have experienced shortness of breath while exercising. I passed it off to weight gain and being out of shape from a long winter. This past weekend (Aug 9th) it seemed to get worse. I was easily winded and my heart would start racing when I walked or worked quickly. I didn't have any sharp pains, just a heaviness in my chest. Right now it almost feels like a marble rolling around in there. I broke down and went to the doctor who sent me to the emergency room. I thought maybe it was exercised induced asthma. The chest x ray seemed clear, but some blood work done indicated that I probably had a blood clot. After a CT scan I was told I had a clot in my left lung and several in my right lung. I was started on Lovax injections and warifan orally. My oxygen sats were 93 to 96, my blood pressure is low. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I still don't know where these clots came from since an ultrasound of my legs showed nothing. I was sent home because Blue Cross and Blue Shield would not cover more than 2 nights for this. I have no real answers yet, but just want others to know that I was active the whole time and this happened. The only time I had leg pain was in the winter, I kept getting Charlie horses in my right leg. I did go to my doctor then wandering if it was a clot but he said no, it was probably from shoveling. Now I wonder if I wasn't right and it did travel to my lungs over the course of the last 6 months.

Comment from: Connie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a 40 year old woman that has recently had a surgery performed on my shoulder. I had to have some of the bones reshaped, which was done laparoscopically, and with no complications. Four days after my surgery, I awoke at 5a.m., and was having problems with shortness of breath. I than began to get a headache, and started having dry heaves. After 2 hours of suffering, my husband talked me into going into the ER. I did end up having a normal chest x-ray, but my D-dimer test was very elevated. The Dr. ordered a CT scan with contrast that was "grossly positive for PE in the proximal segmental branches to both lower lobes, but also present within the right upper lobe and the left upper lobe." Luckily things were caught in time, and I ended up spending a week in the hospital and not six feet under. Please be aware that clots can form, even if you have been told that "it's unheard of from the type of surgery you had!" If something just doesn't "seem right," PLEASE get it checked!

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 63 years old. In late November, I developed a soreness in my right calf. Thinking I had pulled something, I didn't go to the doctor. After about two weeks with the pain almost gone, I started hurting in my left lung area. I went to work and right after lunch I started hurting very badly in my left shoulder and lung. The pain was unbearable. I could barely breathe. I drove 45 miles to the doctor, and he sent me for tests. I had deep vein thrombosis with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I was told I was lucky to still be alive. I had shortness of breath for eight years before this, and they could not find anything wrong. If you get shortness of breath for no reason, insist on doing tests for blood clots.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.