Comment from: Wahela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My only symptom of pulmonary embolism was shortness of breath when I walked around. I'm a nurse, and stupidly I thought perhaps my asthma was worse, or maybe pneumonia. I drove myself to the emergency room (ER), they did a CT scan and I was on a helicopter to the big city within 20 minutes. I had a saddle embolism covering both sides of my chest. I had lytic therapy that night, and went home 3 days later on Lovenox and warfarin. I hadn't had chest pain or any other problems. My pulse would be normal sitting unless I stood up and walked a few feet, then it would go up to 150 or so. My blood pressure was also high. SaO2 was between 92% when sitting to 80% when standing. I had had a DNA test for a research study and they said I had an MTHFR gene that was damaged. My Mom had blood clots for years, my grandmother, great grandfather and great-great-grandfather all died of blood clots that broke loose causing emboli. So I will be on warfarin for life. My vascular surgeon said there is clearly a clotting disorder in our family and I believe him.

Comment from: Kellygreen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I just got home from a 4 night hospital stay. I am 45 and broke my ankle 1 month ago. I was in a cast and was told not to put weight on it. So I spent a lot of time sitting. Saturday night I developed severe right back pain. It was getting worse and then I was short of breath. I tried to lie down to sleep but the pain was so severe and the shortness of breath was worse. I went to the emergency room (ER) and after having a CT of my chest with contrast I was diagnosed with several bilateral embolisms. Also I was on the birth control 'Yaz', which puts you in a higher risk category. I was put on Lovenox and Coumadin. What a painful experience! I am happy to be alive but will now worry about every little symptom and wonder if I am developing another clot!

Comment from: Sisqi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was a healthy 32 year old who had just had a baby. I had pain in my back. I'd had two sets of clots. One in my spleen and one in my placenta only 2 weeks before. The pain got worse over about 30 hours. Because of the recent clots I went to the Accident and Emergency room. Whilst there and being hooked up to monitors I suddenly couldn't breathe. The doctor came in; very calm and said, oh it's a panic attack. (Very right I was panicking!) It turns out I had many clots on my lungs. Because of the doctor I didn't get treated for days. I ended up with bad scarring on my lungs. I've since had 3 more lots of clots and been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome. I have to have warfarin and Clexane for life. I've always said clots have a very unique kind of pain. For me they start with a feeling of a bruise. Then an achy feeling. To a point of agony (especially the spleen ones I've had). Always get checked. Better safe than sorry.

Comment from: Jayde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 36 years old and was on birth control pills. I'm also a nonsmoker. I started having a lot of pain in my left shoulder. I thought I pulled a muscle. Then that night the pain started under my left breast bone, and continued into the left side of my back. It wasn"t going away so the next morning I went into emergency room. They did a scan and found I had blood clots in both my lungs. They said it was from birth control pills. I was hospitalized for 5 days. I am now on warfarin and was on the shots in my abdomen for 5 days. I will be on warfarin for 6 to 9 months. Please be aware of the risks of birth control pills, and please go to emergency if you have any unusual pain.

Comment from: Exprssurslf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a healthy 41 year old women who started out with just an ordinary urinary tract Infection. I went to be checked to see if my kidneys were part of the UTI (urinary tract infection) because I had left flank pain from my side around my back and then the pain radiated up into my shoulder and neck, but only on my right side. It lasted the entire day and into the night. My doctor told me that if the pain didn"t go away, to go to the emergency room. After the pain woke me up in the night, it was then making me short of breath and I couldn"t inhale fully. I finally went to the ER. A CT showed several blood clots in both my left and my right lungs. I have no risk factors for pulmonary embolism. Good thing I listen to my gut!

Comment from: Promethius, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have not been diagnosed yet with pulmonary embolism. I"ve been having increasing shortness of breath with heart speeding up when I try to do anything like walk outside or pick something up from floor or even talk while washing my hands. I thought it was worsening anemia since I do have anemia, though have not had this breathing symptoms as bad as this. Then during the night and today suddenly I got severe shoulder pain in left shoulder for no reason. Yesterday I had stabbing pain near the breast, which I thought maybe was a breast problem and dismissed it. The shoulder is hard to ignore. I have autoimmune disorders and have wondered for quite some time if I have antiphospholipid antibodies, but so far no one will test. Oddly, nearly a year ago I went to the emergency room for 10 out of 10 pain in other shoulder which was never really diagnosed; I don"t know if that"s related to this. I haven"t been out much due to snow so it's hard to assess if I can breathe doing normal stuff like shop. In terms of preceding leg pain, because of autoimmune stuff I often get leg pain and heaviness and muscles stuff, so telling what"s different and what's usual leg pain is hard.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests you received that led to a diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Venous Doppler Question: Did you have a venous doppler study, or ultrasound? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Embolism - Thrombolytic Therapy Question: Did you or someone you know receive thrombolytic therapy for a pulmonary embolism? Please share your story.
Pulmonary Embolism - Experience Question: Please share your experience with pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Symptoms Question: Please share your experience with symptoms of pulmonary embolism.
Pulmonary Embolism - Treatment Question: What treatments did you undergo for pulmonary embolism?
Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism?