Patient Comments: Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I went to hospital for scheduled surgery (colectomy). I was very dehydrated upon arrival and no one could start an IV. They (surgeon, anesthetist and nurses) tried about 10 times. Finally they got it going on top of the foot. They took me on to surgery and said they would put me under anesthesia and then get on. I came out of surgery thinking everything was ok. My oxygen saturation dropped on top of that I received Soma and some other medications I was not on. Now I was in full blown respiratory failure and no one knows what happened. I think I was overloaded with fluids, then medicines slowed my breathing, and then oxygen saturation kept dropping because of fluids in my lungs (pulmonary edema). I have never had and anesthesia problem. When I walked in and they could not start IV I was real dehydrated. I think I was overloaded with fluid loading my lungs and oxygen saturation dropping chain reaction. Now I have all these diagnoses that happened because I am just about back to normal.

Comment from: chachacha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had a CAT scan to check for cancer and was told that there was something wrong with my lungs. They looked foggy. I needed to see a lung specialist. The lung specialist diagnosed me as having pulmonary edema. He feels it is due to having worked doing paint and body work on vehicles during my 30s and 40s. My lungs have caused me shortness of breath and coughing ever since. I have thought that I had pneumonia quite a few times. When I visited the doctor, I was told that I didn't. There are times when I have had crushing chest pain but my angiogram came back totally clear. I am confused about why I have had a corticosteroid prescribed when I don't have asthma. I have very low blood pressure and still feel very confused about the whole thing.

Comment from: DLNew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

While kayaking I overreached to pull debris out of the lake and was immersed. I immediately grabbed bag with camera, etc., and tried to get back in kayak but it had filled with too much water. Husband came over to help and I realized that I couldn't catch my breath which didn't make sense because I wasn't expending that much energy and am an excellent swimmer. Husband towed me behind him in water while I'm holding on to my kayak to get to a rock in the middle of the lake. I crawled up on the rock panting and coughing clots of blood. Water was cool but not cold but we had been paddling steadily. I was finally able to catch my breath after we dumped out the water in my kayak and he towed me to shore. I coughed up bright red sputum until next day and then it was rusty colored. Breathing is still not as deep as before.

Comment from: Trivedi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Thank you very much. These informative articles have helped us a lot. The water pill did the job. Since we are in a remote place the information was like a life saver.

Comment from: Redwood, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 29

Our 27-year-old son just died of pulmonary edema and aspiration. He had had two previous episodes of pneumonia, both requiring stays in the ICU for five days each. The second time, they told him he had most likely had pneumonia for several days and he thought it was bad seasonal allergies. We knew his lungs and heart were compromised because of these previous episodes, so chest pains, followed by sweating, plus heavy snoring at night should have been a clue. However, when you are 27, you think you are invincible. He was wrong. Get checked out!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was experiencing shortness of breath, attempted to drive myself to the hospital, had to pull over and call 911. Firefighters arrived first, thank goodness EMTs (emergency medical technicians) arrived soon after. My oxygen saturation levels were in the low 80s and I felt like I was drowning while on dry land. I have never been so afraid of anything in my entire life.

Pulmonary Edema - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for pulmonary edema?