Patient Comments: Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema.

Comment from: Trivedi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Thank you very much. These informative articles have helped us a lot. The water pill did the job. Since we are in a remote place the information was like a life saver.

Comment from: Redwood, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 29

Our 27-year-old son just died of pulmonary edema and aspiration. He had had two previous episodes of pneumonia, both requiring stays in the ICU for five days each. The second time, they told him he had most likely had pneumonia for several days and he thought it was bad seasonal allergies. We knew his lungs and heart were compromised because of these previous episodes, so chest pains, followed by sweating, plus heavy snoring at night should have been a clue. However, when you are 27, you think you are invincible. He was wrong. Get checked out!

Comment from: Velvet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One of main symptoms that isn't listed when you read about pulmonary edema is "coughing." I cough all the time, day and night. Obviously the fluid (edema) is causing it. I am also out of breath and dizzy most of the time.

Comment from: Runningtomuch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am a fit mom of two and sometimes I like to run hard to help alleviate stress. I will end up with a blood taste in my mouth and pain in my tongue during or afterwards. I just read that pulmonary edema can occur in people sometimes after running or intense workouts. Not sure if this is something that should be checked out, but, I figured I would post it for anyone experiencing the same issue.

Comment from: Gemini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I recently had a fall which cracked one of my ribs. During the x-rays they found fluid in my left lung. I have not had one single symptom as listed, so I was shocked to see the fluid they drained out. My heart and my health is fine, so I have no idea what caused it. I am having cardiac tests to make sure I am okay. My overall health is excellent.

Comment from: LadyBow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I feel lucky to be alive. I have had pulmonary edema and pneumonia twice at the same time. My oxygen dropped to 68% on O2. I did suffer some brain damage. After five years I still at times struggle to put sentences together.

Comment from: CY, 55-64 Male Published: October 17

I am a 58 year old male that just had a bad cough and a little shortness of breath. I noticed a severe bout of indigestion with a little chest pain, nothing serious. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Three days later, after they had drained 1.5 liters of fluid from my right lung, I had a triple bypass with mitral valve replacement. It's serious, get it checked.

Comment from: Triune, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I am 75 years old, and am in very good shape. I don't take drugs and I eat well and exercise. But two months ago I started to get a "pot". I also gained some weight. I began to get shortness of breath and found it hard to bend down to tie my shoes. I also had a dry cough and had to clear my throat all the time. Finally I went to our doctor to have an X-ray and was told my right lung was almost full to the top with fluid. They drained two and a third liters of fluid, which is four and half pounds, and have another liter and a half to go. Thank God for good Canadian Medical System.

Pulmonary Edema - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for pulmonary edema?