Patient Comments: Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema.

Comment from: Runningtomuch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am a fit mom of two and sometimes I like to run hard to help alleviate stress. I will end up with a blood taste in my mouth and pain in my tongue during or afterwards. I just read that pulmonary edema can occur in people sometimes after running or intense workouts. Not sure if this is something that should be checked out, but, I figured I would post it for anyone experiencing the same issue.

Comment from: Velvet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One of main symptoms that isn't listed when you read about pulmonary edema is "coughing." I cough all the time, day and night. Obviously the fluid (edema) is causing it. I am also out of breath and dizzy most of the time.

Comment from: Gemini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I recently had a fall which cracked one of my ribs. During the x-rays they found fluid in my left lung. I have not had one single symptom as listed, so I was shocked to see the fluid they drained out. My heart and my health is fine, so I have no idea what caused it. I am having cardiac tests to make sure I am okay. My overall health is excellent.

Comment from: Triune, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I am 75 years old, and am in very good shape. I don't take drugs and I eat well and exercise. But two months ago I started to get a "pot". I also gained some weight. I began to get shortness of breath and found it hard to bend down to tie my shoes. I also had a dry cough and had to clear my throat all the time. Finally I went to our doctor to have an X-ray and was told my right lung was almost full to the top with fluid. They drained two and a third liters of fluid, which is four and half pounds, and have another liter and a half to go. Thank God for good Canadian Medical System.

Comment from: LadyBow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I feel lucky to be alive. I have had pulmonary edema and pneumonia twice at the same time. My oxygen dropped to 68% on O2. I did suffer some brain damage. After five years I still at times struggle to put sentences together.

Comment from: CY, 55-64 Male Published: October 17

I am a 58 year old male that just had a bad cough and a little shortness of breath. I noticed a severe bout of indigestion with a little chest pain, nothing serious. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Three days later, after they had drained 1.5 liters of fluid from my right lung, I had a triple bypass with mitral valve replacement. It's serious, get it checked.

Comment from: mother, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My son has hepatitis C and he is diabetic. His kidneys failed and he does dialysis three days a week. He gets pulmonary edema once in a while and when this happens, he gets short of breath, chest pain, weakness, off-balance, and sleepy.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My dad is on dialysis, he does not want to go to his treatment as required, he usually gets two treatments a week. He is always congested but he is not coughing up any mucus. He still has a very good urine output. Could this congestion be due to him missing his treatments and I would like to know if a diuretic would help him.

Pulmonary Edema - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for pulmonary edema?