Patient Comments: Pulmonary Edema - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary edema?

Comment from: Lesley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My episode of acute pulmonary edema was secondary to a heart attack. I was in the emergency ward of a small country hospital after going by ambulance. Suddenly I was in APO but it is all hazy from here. What I do remember is that I was terrified and was fighting for my life. I had one breath left and no matter what the doctors tried to do I fought them. As they tried to apply a CPAP mask, I felt they were suffocating me but all the while I could not be settled until they sedated me. Finally I was flown by helicopter to the nearest major hospital where I had a stent put in. I am so thankful for the professionalism, the skill and care of all staff as otherwise I wouldn't be here. I look back now and can't believe how close I came to dying.

Comment from: allymcb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

They are still trying to figure it out for me- although this sounds spot on. I have been on chemotherapy for cancer which caused my left ventricle to not work well. I had to stop treatment for 5 months. The dry cough which gets worse laying down started in that time. I had pneumonia and another breathless trip to emergency in the middle of the night. I am easily winded, breathless, some chest pain, and feel like I am older than I am.

Comment from: myanna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My symptoms included crackling when breathing, vomiting, and I had no energy.

Pulmonary Edema - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pulmonary edema.
Pulmonary Edema - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of pulmonary edema?
Pulmonary Edema - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for pulmonary edema?