Patient Comments: Pubic Lice (Crabs) - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you or your partner receive for public lice (crabs)?

Comment from: cherie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was infected with pubic lice many years ago after I had "made out" with someone without having intercourse and I later found out from the rumor mill that this person was infected. In an unrelated incident, while working in a shelter (years after I was infected myself), some of the residents reported being infected with pubic lice without having had intimate contact with anyone so most everyone assumed the infection was the result of sharing a bathroom. I really don't know what else it could have been and fortunately I was not infected that time. So in both cases, there was no sexual intercourse and the lesson I learned was to be very careful about touching anyone you don't know well. When I was infected, I was so horrified that I shaved my entire pubic area to remove all of my pubic hair and then I covered the entire area with Vaseline until I was sure the lice were gone. This worked for me. It was a disgusting and humiliating experience which still haunts me nearly 30 years later but the good news is that it is relatively easy to get rid of them with a little patience and time to yourself.

Comment from: cdm1729, 45-54 Female Published: November 28

Don't know how I got it and my husband doesn't have this. He is adamant he hasn't cheated. He says I'm always petting animals and that's how I got it. He could of had this by cheating and cleaned up before I realized I had it. Now I'm using Rid-X and different oils - (5 drops each), lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea leaf in 1/3 of olive oil. Have this for several weeks and still haven't gotten rid of this. I use two times a day now.

Pubic Lice (Crabs) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pubic lice in you or your partner?
Pubic Lice (Crabs) - Personal Experience Question: Have you ever been diagnosed with "crabs" or pubic lice? Please share your experience.