Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: colleen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed 6 years ago after being misdiagnosed for 5 years. I now have fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis systemically. My physician diagnosed me in 5 minutes after looking at my rashes, hands and feet. I could not tolerate methotrexate, but have been on Enbrel. I just started on Humira but have problems with infections and some of my family who are not supportive.

Comment from: Gould88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am a 44 years old RN (registered nurse), practicing for 25 years. I have had flares of mild to moderate scalp psoriasis since age 9. At age 12, I had debilitating pain in my knees and could barely walk for a few weeks. The doctor diagnosed me as "needy" - implied that I "over-exaggerated" my pain, and told my parents to spend more quality time with me. Frequent asthma attacks and bouts of severe pleurisy would put me on steroid treatment - and pain always got better. I've exercised since I was 13 just because I noticed how much better I felt when I did. Approximately 2 years ago, knees became severe, couldn't continue with running or walking for any length of time, I have put all energy since then into making it through 2, 12 hour shifts at hospital a week, then I have to rest. I have progressive fatigue- the doctors said it was stress and I'm "that age." Elbows are hurting now, hips hurting bilateral, and 6 weeks ago I "hurt" my back helping a patient. MRI showed significant spondylitis/sacroiliitis of lower spine. Progress of recovery has been slow! Out of desperation, feeling that I was being "over-reactive" to pain and maybe I was depressed, I started researching and trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I came across psoriasis foundation website, and saw nail changes that looked just like mine! I looked further and realized, I am legitimately hurting! I am not crazy! I am not needy! I have psoriatic arthritis! I discussed my revelation with the doctor this morning and he agrees; and I see a rheumatologist in 2 weeks. I'm a little scared about future, but also hopeful that at least now I'm validated after all these years.

Comment from: plumbobby0, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

At age thirty five I was diagnosed with bursitis and received cortisone shots to alleviate the pain, the treatment was successful. At forty, the pain had moved to the inside of my hip (Groin area) and since then have been diagnosed with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and have total replacement of both hips and one knee with the remaining knee on the block at this time. I had surgery on both feet to correct the overlapping of toes. I have tendon problems in my elbows and shoulders. I am on several drugs in an attempt to control the advancement. I have back pain from lower back to neck. Having read the information on this site about Psoriatic arthritis I believe that it might be in tune with my ailments and i will be asking my doctor to investigate if indeed this is the case. I offer kudos to this website for the detailed description for this disease, thank you.

Comment from: carusbrent@yahoo.com, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was first diagnosed with P/A at the age of sixteen when I had a bad fall in the winter. Then after I was bedridden for eighteen months, I was told by the doctor I may never walk again, but I wasn't giving up that easy. I'm very stubborn. After many injections, pills, and therapy I was back on my feet. I am now thirty five and it is gotten more severe. I've never wanted to accept my fate and in some ways I still don't want to accept that I have to live with this forever. Any information I can get about this will help me. And any support from other's who live with P/A may help me get out of having the blue's. It's very hard to explain or talk to other's who don't know what you're going through.

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 57 this year and three years ago my knees started to swell up and a rash appeared on my shinbones. My doctor diagnosed me with osteoarthritis, Ross river virus, and hip bursa, as I had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hence the rash on my shin bones. I was sent to a rheumatologist. It was psoriatic arthritis. Three years down the track not only is it in the knees but in the ankles, feet, hips, buttocks, and lower back and sometimes hands and chest. I have tried many painkillers. I'm taking methotrexate along with Embril once a week injection and Targin, painkiller (morphine based), and Lyrica. I am still going down hill. One day I'm on my crutches, another day I can use just a walking stick.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?