Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: cherokee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

With enlarged prostate I have trouble starting to urinate; it stops and goes. I am going a lot in small amounts.

Comment from: Theresa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis aged 33. I had had my right knee swell up red hot out of the blue. I ignored it and it went away in a week. Then a month later my toes on my left foot started swelling (sausage toes). Every morning another one had swollen. I saw my general physician who immediately sent me to a rheumatologist thinking it was rheumatoid arthritis. It turns out its psoriatic arthritis. I only have a small patch of psoriasis on my scalp which I didn't know about. I tried sulfasalazine but I had a bad reaction to it. I wasn't given anything else. They are watching and waiting. No more sweet till this year (2 years later) and still no medicines. Now I am going to ask for something as my left foot is in a lot of pain! I also have fibromyalgia diagnosed a year ago and an underactive thyroid diagnosed in late twenties. No one in my family have either conditions or psoriasis but autoimmune issues run in my family.

Comment from: sloshie420, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis I'm now 32 and married for 7 years and have a 7 year old son. I have had this for about 5 years now, for the first 3 years I did not have health insurance, I lived on my couch in the worst pain you could imagine. I couldn't keep up with the house work, yard work, dinner, and needing help taking care of our son. My mom lives with us and she worked and took care of me and my son throughout all of this. When I was finally able to afford health insurance I went to a doctor. He was no help and I went to a second. Within 10 min he knew I had psoriatic arthritis and sent me to my first arthritis doctor and he diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. After a year and many drugs later I got another opinion and he diagnosed me with both. I take a load of pills a day and Humira, and have had many trips to the emergency room for migraines. I know how lucky I am to find my doctor who listened to me, just want to say don't give up, keep changing doctors; you are not crazy! Your pain is real and don't let them tell you otherwise. I pull my strength and hope from these kind of sites. You are the only ones who know how it is.

Comment from: Jackie Paramore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I got psoriasis 8 years ago, it started behind my right ear, and had progressed to nearly every part of my body. Sadly so, I have started two days ago to get it on my face by my eyes. It itches and burns. It is often associated with infections. I started getting the arthritis part of it 3 years ago. In my hands. I have swollen nail beds and crooked knuckles. Very painful. Nothing has helped it skin wise. It has progressed into my feet, knees, shoulders, hips and back. I've lost muscle control in my legs. It has taken my life away as I knew it. The pain is excruciating beyond measure. I take ketoprofen every 8 hours and Norco 5/325 3 times a day. It is helping me bear some of the pain. On really bad crippling pain days I wish I could die. I've taken years of physical and occupational therapy. I just keep getting worse. I feel that there is no hope left. I am using a walker and am needing a nurse's aide more and more. I hope for a cure for us all! I tried Neurontin and it gave me permanent tremors.

Comment from: colleen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed 6 years ago after being misdiagnosed for 5 years. I now have fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis systemically. My physician diagnosed me in 5 minutes after looking at my rashes, hands and feet. I could not tolerate methotrexate, but have been on Enbrel. I just started on Humira but have problems with infections and some of my family who are not supportive.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 2 years ago. I never knew I had psoriasis until I read that the disease can be as mild as to appear in the belly button only. No one in my family has psoriasis, but we do have eczema. Now, I have widespread joint involvement. I have just developed some nail separation in a few nails. I just changed from Humira to Enbrel, and am waiting for improvement. Up until this point, I was leery about this diagnosis. Not a lot of swelling, but a whole lot of pain. I think doctors (and people, too) equate lack of swelling to lack of pain.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?