Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 7 months ago, when I was 25. It started in my fingers. (By the way, I first had spots in my nails few months before the finger pain, when I started taking birth control pills. I wonder, can there be any connection.) First I was on Recoxa for one month, but it didn't help, so I was put on sulfasalazine. A month later the disease spread in my toes (doctor thought, that maybe Salasopyrin wasn't working yet and didn't change the treatment). Three months later arthritis spread everywhere, in my neck, spine, ankles, knees, wrists, ribs and so on. Now we started with methotrexate (Trexan in Estonia) and it seems to be working, at least for now. But the pain is still there, every day and I am very sad, that our national health insurance does not cover biologics for the patients, who would need them.

Comment from: biologics, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with RA 8 years ago, but never felt that it was the correct diagnosis. Finally this month the doctors have confirmed it to be PA. I have been on Humira Remecade enbrel orencia and now simponi. Some have not helped at all and others work well but have side effects that are dangerous. I am having severe problems with side effects from the biologics. Kidney infections and skin cancer now too. Even with all the fancy drugs my spine and rib cage are still swollen and my toes and fingers are constantly aching. My heart goes out to all who have these terribly painful diseases. It's hard to find quality of life when you hurt all the time. But keep your chin up, and find things to smile about everyday. Hugs to all.

Comment from: Robbie56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year. 17 years after being told I had serum neg RA. The only thing that I couldn't figure out is why I had such buttock pain. I have had that my whole life, but no one believed me.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 20 years old. The doctor I was seeing said I'd be in a wheelchair within 5 years. I dropped him as quick as I could!! I needed someone who would help me not feed into my depression and pessimism. I saw another doctor and was on all the drugs over the years...methotrexate, sulfasalizine, Enbrel and finally Humira. I worked until I no longer could (age 45) and had to go on disability. I ended up losing my prescription coverage a few months ago and cannot afford most of my medications. Eight months without Humira...bad idea. Everything hurts!

Comment from: cindy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 39 years old. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 3 years ago. I was on embrel but went off 4 months ago and now experiencing the worst pain ever. I'm waiting on my insurance to approve Humira. I'm a nurse and it is so hard to work at times. I'm affected by the psoriatic arthritis in my left knee and foot. At times I can't even walk! I hurt so bad. I can't do so many of the things that I once did.

Comment from: Penny, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I am writing for my youngest daughter, she was diagnosed at 10 months with JRA. I had picked her up from daycare with a swollen ankle and within two weeks her ankles, knees, hips and a thumb were fully inflamed. She is now 20 years old and has been re-diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. She has been struggling over the past 7 years with trying to find a drug that will continue to work for her.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I've not been diagnosed with PA but I've had chronic back pain since I was 7 years old, I've always had skin problems, I have chronic diarrhea, chronic tendonitis and fused toes and joints in my back. Doctors have recurrently tested me for B27, but I'm B23 and so they've sent me home with naproxen prescriptions. In my country women has traditionally not received expensive medical care. I'm currently going through a very bad phase but I am still trying to live a normal life. I am afraid I will not be able to do that much longer.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?