Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: Katy , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was 21 and I went to the doctors with a swollen foot because I couldn't walk properly on it and after two months of tests I was finally diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I only had it in my left foot. I am now 22 and it has spread to both feet, both knees, and my right hip. Every day is a struggle and it frustrates me when people say you don't have arthritis you're too young. But they don't feel the everyday pain I go through and it really makes me angry if only they could just have one day with the pain I have then maybe they would understand.

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My doctor noticed the blood tests were off and the leg had scabs on them (flaky), I have a lot of aches and pains and have had back pain for some time. As well, joint pain and severe pain in the feet and ankles.

Comment from: Gayle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I would like to know if anyone who has psoriatic arthritis does not actually have psoriasis. Psoriasis runs in my family and my doctor knows that I have arthritis because of blood work, but about 6 months ago said it was psoriatic arthritis. With that being said, does anyone have hives with it. I have seen an allergist and dermatologist and they seem to think it might be related to the psoriatic arthritis or lupus (which I have not been diagnosed with). If anyone has an opinion I'd like to hear it. I think having the hives is almost as bad as the arthritis.

Comment from: tallbrit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a Nurse Practitioner, 66, who has self diagnosed. I have had very mild psoriasis off and on since age 14, usually one tiny patch at a time that clears up with cortisone cream. I also have ulcerative colitis with very few flare ups and am on no meds. My knees and hips, back and neck have hurt for years and I basically ignore it. More recently, I wake up in the morning and limp to the bathroom as both feet hurt.I find myself limping due to hip and leg/foot pain. I had an MRI and the doctor said it was either bursitis or avascular necrosis, but no arthritis. The arthritis in my knee was worsening so I get three shots of Buspartz yearly and that allows me to hike. Recently, my right index finger swelled up, was red and painful to bend. The other fingers in my hand ached as well. I saw a rheumalogist who said I had severe joint degeneration(after xray) and he gave me a cortisone shot and said he could "fix" my finger with surgery. No thanks. I would never be able to bend it again. Since then, the other hand is hurting, hip is worse, neck and spine hurt continuously. Motrin helps, but I had an ulcer years ago, so I don't take it regularly. I ski, hike, ride a bike,dance and swim and I cannot fathom not being able to do these things. I am type A and never sit still for a minute. I am now going to research holistic treatments as I do not want any of the DMARD meds. I ice my knees after dancing or hiking, take some meds, and try to ignore everything else.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 7 months ago, when I was 25. It started in my fingers. (By the way, I first had spots in my nails few months before the finger pain, when I started taking birth control pills. I wonder, can there be any connection.) First I was on Recoxa for one month, but it didn't help, so I was put on sulfasalazine. A month later the disease spread in my toes (doctor thought, that maybe Salasopyrin wasn't working yet and didn't change the treatment). Three months later arthritis spread everywhere, in my neck, spine, ankles, knees, wrists, ribs and so on. Now we started with methotrexate (Trexan in Estonia) and it seems to be working, at least for now. But the pain is still there, every day and I am very sad, that our national health insurance does not cover biologics for the patients, who would need them.

Comment from: biologics, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with RA 8 years ago, but never felt that it was the correct diagnosis. Finally this month the doctors have confirmed it to be PA. I have been on Humira Remecade enbrel orencia and now simponi. Some have not helped at all and others work well but have side effects that are dangerous. I am having severe problems with side effects from the biologics. Kidney infections and skin cancer now too. Even with all the fancy drugs my spine and rib cage are still swollen and my toes and fingers are constantly aching. My heart goes out to all who have these terribly painful diseases. It's hard to find quality of life when you hurt all the time. But keep your chin up, and find things to smile about everyday. Hugs to all.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?