Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: debbijane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I started off with psoriasis on my elbows and developed swelling in the joint of my right little finger as well as my neck. After having X-rays of my neck, my joints are severely affected and painful. I exercise regularly and go to physiotherapy when the pain is bad in my neck. I am on medication now but I believe that it takes a while before I will see the results. My psoriasis is not as itchy anymore, but it has not gone away.

Comment from: gidgeup, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I was diagnosed with arthritis at 7 years old. I was told I would grow out of it. However, this did not happen. I was told at 18 that I had psoriatic arthritis. I am now 25 and my body doesn't agree with medication very well, so I am now stuck as to what to use or do? It affects my hands, one knee, my toes, my neck and my lower back, but I still manage day-to-day things. I have also had shortness of breath and chest pains since I was 14.

Comment from: chloe 30, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 74 year old female who was told that I have psoriatic arthritis in my feet about 3 months ago. I had some psoriasis on the instep of my right foot about 13 years ago and had to take methotrexate to get it to clear up. Now my feet hurt so bad I can hardly walk. I have been told that I had plantar fasciitis. I had to have my big toe operated on. The doctor had thought it was gout, but the fluid taken out showed no crystals. I was referred to a rheumatologist who said psoriatic arthritis. My feet burn and hurt so bad I can hardly stand it, and it hurts to walk. I have also been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease back in January. I don't know what to take anymore, but I have to see the rheumatologist on the 26th of this month. Hopefully things will get better.

Comment from: Katy , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was 21 and I went to the doctors with a swollen foot because I couldn't walk properly on it and after two months of tests I was finally diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I only had it in my left foot. I am now 22 and it has spread to both feet, both knees, and my right hip. Every day is a struggle and it frustrates me when people say you don't have arthritis you're too young. But they don't feel the everyday pain I go through and it really makes me angry if only they could just have one day with the pain I have then maybe they would understand.

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My doctor noticed the blood tests were off and the leg had scabs on them (flaky), I have a lot of aches and pains and have had back pain for some time. As well, joint pain and severe pain in the feet and ankles.

Comment from: Gayle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I would like to know if anyone who has psoriatic arthritis does not actually have psoriasis. Psoriasis runs in my family and my doctor knows that I have arthritis because of blood work, but about 6 months ago said it was psoriatic arthritis. With that being said, does anyone have hives with it. I have seen an allergist and dermatologist and they seem to think it might be related to the psoriatic arthritis or lupus (which I have not been diagnosed with). If anyone has an opinion I'd like to hear it. I think having the hives is almost as bad as the arthritis.

Comment from: tallbrit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a Nurse Practitioner, 66, who has self diagnosed. I have had very mild psoriasis off and on since age 14, usually one tiny patch at a time that clears up with cortisone cream. I also have ulcerative colitis with very few flare ups and am on no meds. My knees and hips, back and neck have hurt for years and I basically ignore it. More recently, I wake up in the morning and limp to the bathroom as both feet hurt.I find myself limping due to hip and leg/foot pain. I had an MRI and the doctor said it was either bursitis or avascular necrosis, but no arthritis. The arthritis in my knee was worsening so I get three shots of Buspartz yearly and that allows me to hike. Recently, my right index finger swelled up, was red and painful to bend. The other fingers in my hand ached as well. I saw a rheumalogist who said I had severe joint degeneration(after xray) and he gave me a cortisone shot and said he could "fix" my finger with surgery. No thanks. I would never be able to bend it again. Since then, the other hand is hurting, hip is worse, neck and spine hurt continuously. Motrin helps, but I had an ulcer years ago, so I don't take it regularly. I ski, hike, ride a bike,dance and swim and I cannot fathom not being able to do these things. I am type A and never sit still for a minute. I am now going to research holistic treatments as I do not want any of the DMARD meds. I ice my knees after dancing or hiking, take some meds, and try to ignore everything else.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?