Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: JR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Aged 45, I contracted chicken pox, which laid me low for 12 months off work. I was like a zombie most of the time and unable to work. About 12 months after this I got morning pains in my heels/feet, which was like walking on glass which lasted about 2 hours. My ankles were swollen as well. I was finally diagnosed 5 years later but also contracted in no order, engina, sleep apnea, Psoriasis, type 2 diabetes, Carpel tunnel syndrome, osteoarthritis. Before the chicken pox, I was a normal adult with no major health problems.

Comment from: Robert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I got out of bed for work when I was 30 years old, and within a few steps, I was overwhelmed by a sudden pain in my hip and fell to the floor. I could not walk for a year while going from doctor to doctor trying to determine what was wrong with me. A pain doctor, not a rheumatologist, determined that I had psoriatic arthritis. I have had psoriasis from age 4. Once properly diagnosed and medicated, I started to slowly improve and am now able to walk with assistance from a cane. Things progressed rapidly for me, destroying almost every joint in my right hand before treatment could be made effective. Every single joint in my body would hurt. I would have to circle the entire body to explain where I hurt. Many people treat me as if nothing is wrong with me because they cannot see it. I take Methotrexate, Humira, Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Hydromorphon (morphine), Opana, Propolanlol, and Hydrachlorathiazide. Before medication, I remained in the fetal position in indescribable pain. Now, nearly six years later, I can slowly walk like an old man with a cane.

Comment from: Matthew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I was misdiagnosed for two years while working in the UK and by the time I was correctly diagnosed all the cartilage in the toes of one foot had gone and one knee and a few fingers .We're beginning to be attacked too. If I had been correctly diagnosed earlier and put on methotrexate this suffering and irreparable damage could have been avoided. I was thirty when this started and am now forty and living with the condition. I had to have surgery to wire my toes together and can no longer run, but exercise as much as I can with swimming and cycling which definitely helps the pain and soreness. Once a year or so I have my knee drained and steroid injections in it.

Comment from: Brazeng, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

This has defiantly ended my nursing career. I found out I have psoriatic arthritis two months ago. The podiatrist says I have a bunion or Morton's neuroma. The psoriatic arthritis is painful. Funny part was that my skin psoriasis has weirdly disappeared in the past six months. I had it since I was 20; I am now 52. Taking lots of Motrin and Aleve each day must have kept me from noticing, plus the 16-hour shifts. I almost bled to death; that's when I had to deal with it. It's not anything I ever expected, and now it's probably a matter of managing the pain. My first step now is to try a detox.

Comment from: voodoo mama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I guess I'm new to the club. I've had psoriasis since I was bitten by a spider more than 13 years ago. I have been told it's hereditary, but can't seem to find a family member who has it. But plenty of family members have autoimmune problems, so I guess this is mine. It's been an ugly, itchy, long journey in which I've denied and hidden my pain for so long. I'm only 43, and in my mind, I'm like 21. I hate this.

Comment from: debbijane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I started off with psoriasis on my elbows and developed swelling in the joint of my right little finger as well as my neck. After having X-rays of my neck, my joints are severely affected and painful. I exercise regularly and go to physiotherapy when the pain is bad in my neck. I am on medication now but I believe that it takes a while before I will see the results. My psoriasis is not as itchy anymore, but it has not gone away.

Comment from: chloe 30, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 74 year old female who was told that I have psoriatic arthritis in my feet about 3 months ago. I had some psoriasis on the instep of my right foot about 13 years ago and had to take methotrexate to get it to clear up. Now my feet hurt so bad I can hardly walk. I have been told that I had plantar fasciitis. I had to have my big toe operated on. The doctor had thought it was gout, but the fluid taken out showed no crystals. I was referred to a rheumatologist who said psoriatic arthritis. My feet burn and hurt so bad I can hardly stand it, and it hurts to walk. I have also been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease back in January. I don't know what to take anymore, but I have to see the rheumatologist on the 26th of this month. Hopefully things will get better.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?