Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis

How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?

Comment from: Brazeng, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

This has defiantly ended my nursing career. I found out I have psoriatic arthritis two months ago. The podiatrist says I have a bunion or Morton's neuroma. The psoriatic arthritis is painful. Funny part was that my skin psoriasis has weirdly disappeared in the past six months. I had it since I was 20; I am now 52. Taking lots of Motrin and Aleve each day must have kept me from noticing, plus the 16-hour shifts. I almost bled to death; that's when I had to deal with it. It's not anything I ever expected, and now it's probably a matter of managing the pain. My first step now is to try a detox.

Comment from: voodoo mama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I guess I'm new to the club. I've had psoriasis since I was bitten by a spider more than 13 years ago. I have been told it's hereditary, but can't seem to find a family member who has it. But plenty of family members have autoimmune problems, so I guess this is mine. It's been an ugly, itchy, long journey in which I've denied and hidden my pain for so long. I'm only 43, and in my mind, I'm like 21. I hate this.

Comment from: lallen75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

When I was 34, I started having severe joint pain in a couple of fingers. My grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis, so I went to see my doctor. After some initial blood work showed signs of inflammation in my body, I was referred to a rheumatologist. Through various tests, rheumatoid arthritis was ruled out. I continued to have joint pain in hands, one wrist and one hip. He was always asking me about psoriasis or a family history of psoriasis and there was none. I happened to scratch my head at an appointment (I thought I had dandruff) and he noticed. He looked at my scalp and suspected psoriasis and it was confirmed by a dermatologist. I then was formally diagnosed with PsA.

Comment from: JR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Aged 45, I contracted chicken pox, which laid me low for 12 months off work. I was like a zombie most of the time and unable to work. About 12 months after this I got morning pains in my heels/feet, which was like walking on glass which lasted about 2 hours. My ankles were swollen as well. I was finally diagnosed 5 years later but also contracted in no order, engina, sleep apnea, Psoriasis, type 2 diabetes, Carpel tunnel syndrome, osteoarthritis. Before the chicken pox, I was a normal adult with no major health problems.

Comment from: Robert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I got out of bed for work when I was 30 years old, and within a few steps, I was overwhelmed by a sudden pain in my hip and fell to the floor. I could not walk for a year while going from doctor to doctor trying to determine what was wrong with me. A pain doctor, not a rheumatologist, determined that I had psoriatic arthritis. I have had psoriasis from age 4. Once properly diagnosed and medicated, I started to slowly improve and am now able to walk with assistance from a cane. Things progressed rapidly for me, destroying almost every joint in my right hand before treatment could be made effective. Every single joint in my body would hurt. I would have to circle the entire body to explain where I hurt. Many people treat me as if nothing is wrong with me because they cannot see it. I take Methotrexate, Humira, Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Hydromorphon (morphine), Opana, Propolanlol, and Hydrachlorathiazide. Before medication, I remained in the fetal position in indescribable pain. Now, nearly six years later, I can slowly walk like an old man with a cane.

Comment from: Matthew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I was misdiagnosed for two years while working in the UK and by the time I was correctly diagnosed all the cartilage in the toes of one foot had gone and one knee and a few fingers .We're beginning to be attacked too. If I had been correctly diagnosed earlier and put on methotrexate this suffering and irreparable damage could have been avoided. I was thirty when this started and am now forty and living with the condition. I had to have surgery to wire my toes together and can no longer run, but exercise as much as I can with swimming and cycling which definitely helps the pain and soreness. Once a year or so I have my knee drained and steroid injections in it.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?