Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: Rhonda j, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I always had a bad scalp and crusty stuff behind my ears. At the age of 23 I got strep throat and had a full body outbreak of psoriasis. My brother had this 6 years before me after a spider bite. At the age of 34 I started falling apart. I painted my pre-kindergarten classroom and the next day I could barely walk. Gabapentin and meloxicam were prescribed. It got a little better, then my jaw started hurting real bad, along with my feet. Eventually my hip joined in; then my fingers and my fingernails started separating from my nail bed. With all of the hurting I blamed it on age and maybe depression - remember "depression hurts - Cymbalta can help?" Well, I tried Cymbalta and no, it didn"t help. I went to another family practitioner and he did blood work and confirmed that it is psoriatic arthritis. I thought finally I know that it"s not in my head - there is something wrong. My inflammation level was double what it should be. After being on Humira and methotrexate, and hydrocodone which I only take when it"s unbearable, it worked for about 3 months but here I am with the hurting worse than what it ever was. Now I am back at square one but even worse and I went to my rheumatologist today, and nope, no magic cure.

Comment from: KC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My psoriatic arthritis started at age 42 with a rash behind my ears, followed by one swollen finger. Weird! Then another finger, with pain always worse in the morning. This went on for months. One day I woke up, and it was in my right jaw. That"s when I got scared because I couldn"t open my mouth to get a toothbrush in there! I went to a rheumatologist, and was started on methotrexate but couldn"t handle the side effects. I"ve been on Humira now for 6 weeks, and the improvement was dramatic and life-changing. I now realize just how exhausted I really was from this disease. I didn"t even know how bad I felt until I felt better. I estimate that I was gradually getting sick for 2 years, in retrospect. I started exercising again after 2 years, and eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I am back to my old self, healthy and active, lots of energy, amazing!

Comment from: GET ACTIVE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 5 years ago after countless referrals to doctors for knee problems, joint pain, fatigue, etc. You need to advocate for yourself you know your body best. After being sent to a knee specialist, the OT (occupational therapist) said she thought it was a good idea for me to go to the "Arthritis Society" and see another OT. She saved my life and hooked me up with a proper doctor. The self-administered needles and medications that I took mad me sick for 4 years but held my pain and inflammation at bay, which I was grateful for. It enabled me to get active! Three months ago I was introduced to "Melt Method" and my life has yet had another crossroads. I have been needle free for 3 months with no more pain or inflammation than when I was on my methotrexate and V12. I still take my Apo-Naproxen. It has been a long painful journey from the pain of the disease to working though pain at the gym doing Pilates, weights, and toning. If you have psoriatic arthritis bottom line is, it is going to hurt! You must work though that and be active every day. It gets easier. I went from not being able to sleep, do my job properly, chronic pain, to cross-country skiing, Pilates, and doing tai chi, I am 51 years old now and live with less pain which is gradually dissipating. It may hurt to get active, but trust me it will hurt even more if you are not! Good luck with your journey.

Comment from: Rob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 43 year old male. I was diagnosed with PA (psoriatic arthritis) about 10 years ago. It first manifested itself in the genital area which wigged me out; then my back and behind my ears. Then it was arthritis soon after, when my left foot swelled up to twice the size as my right. I tried methotrexate but it made me feel awful. I just started triamcinolone for my skin and pop 3 ibuprofen as soon as I get up, to dull the pain in my joints. My joint pain jumps around and currently resides in my ankles and a knee. I don't have it as bad as a lot of you out there and empathize with you. I work on my feet which helps the joints stay warm.

Comment from: missy1987, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was diagnosed at 16 after a year of going from doctor to doctor telling me I was clumsy and the pain that was keeping me from walking was due to stubbing my toes, etc. I went to one final doctor who took one look and sent me to a specialist who I have been seeing for 10 years. I have been on and off of methotrexate since the beginning. I took Enbrel for about two years, Humira for about three and Cimzia about four years. I have been on IV Remicade for the past years along with methotrexate with no major psoriatic outbreaks for about five years. The pain when it does arise can usually be subsided with OTC pain relievers. However on the occasion of the crippling pain the OTC medicine doesn't even touch. My doctor refuses to prescribe medicine for pain management, claiming my young age (26), that I am too young to have pain medication readily available.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?