Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: GET ACTIVE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 5 years ago after countless referrals to doctors for knee problems, joint pain, fatigue, etc. You need to advocate for yourself you know your body best. After being sent to a knee specialist, the OT (occupational therapist) said she thought it was a good idea for me to go to the "Arthritis Society" and see another OT. She saved my life and hooked me up with a proper doctor. The self-administered needles and medications that I took mad me sick for 4 years but held my pain and inflammation at bay, which I was grateful for. It enabled me to get active! Three months ago I was introduced to "Melt Method" and my life has yet had another crossroads. I have been needle free for 3 months with no more pain or inflammation than when I was on my methotrexate and V12. I still take my Apo-Naproxen. It has been a long painful journey from the pain of the disease to working though pain at the gym doing Pilates, weights, and toning. If you have psoriatic arthritis bottom line is, it is going to hurt! You must work though that and be active every day. It gets easier. I went from not being able to sleep, do my job properly, chronic pain, to cross-country skiing, Pilates, and doing tai chi, I am 51 years old now and live with less pain which is gradually dissipating. It may hurt to get active, but trust me it will hurt even more if you are not! Good luck with your journey.

Comment from: Rob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 43 year old male. I was diagnosed with PA (psoriatic arthritis) about 10 years ago. It first manifested itself in the genital area which wigged me out; then my back and behind my ears. Then it was arthritis soon after, when my left foot swelled up to twice the size as my right. I tried methotrexate but it made me feel awful. I just started triamcinolone for my skin and pop 3 ibuprofen as soon as I get up, to dull the pain in my joints. My joint pain jumps around and currently resides in my ankles and a knee. I don't have it as bad as a lot of you out there and empathize with you. I work on my feet which helps the joints stay warm.

Comment from: missy1987, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was diagnosed at 16 after a year of going from doctor to doctor telling me I was clumsy and the pain that was keeping me from walking was due to stubbing my toes, etc. I went to one final doctor who took one look and sent me to a specialist who I have been seeing for 10 years. I have been on and off of methotrexate since the beginning. I took Enbrel for about two years, Humira for about three and Cimzia about four years. I have been on IV Remicade for the past years along with methotrexate with no major psoriatic outbreaks for about five years. The pain when it does arise can usually be subsided with OTC pain relievers. However on the occasion of the crippling pain the OTC medicine doesn't even touch. My doctor refuses to prescribe medicine for pain management, claiming my young age (26), that I am too young to have pain medication readily available.

Comment from: elizabeth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had psoriasis since 21 years old. I was 55 years old when I started to get severe pains in my hands and feet, I felt like I was walking on sharp stones. My general physician sent me to a rheumatologist and I was put on numerous medication but nothing helped. I felt like I was banging my head on a brick wall and my specialist didn't seem to believe what I was saying because nothing was showing up in the tests he was doing. But after an outbreak of psoriasis I was finally diagnosed, but it had been 2 years of extreme frustration. I couldn't tolerate some of the medication I was given, but I am now on sulphasalazine, amitriptyline and co-dydramol and doing reasonably okay. But the psoriatic arthritis is now affecting my tendons in my feet so I am going to see a physiotherapist and hope they can help.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at 15 months. I was checked for rheumatoid arthritis at age 17. No RF (rheumatoid factor) was seen so the doctor told me it was in my head. I was formally diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 44. I was put on methotrexate and ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times per day. Then I progressed to Humira (severe headaches), Enbrel and Remicade I.V. (It damaged my vagus nerve and caused my intestines to not work efficiently). For pain, I am on OxyContin 60mg 4times per day and use Norco 10/325 for breakthrough pain. Summers and warm climates are best and now that winter is almost here I remain inside most of my days... feel like a prisoner. Every biological caused at the least infections, many infections; at the worst, lengthy hospital stays. My feet, hands, wrists, elbows, and spine are affected. It is just beginning to get into my right hip and I get Supartz injected into my knees. I am trying really hard to keep walking with no cane. I was in a wheelchair for two years and escaped. It was very hard, took a long time and required discipline and patience, but I am walking.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?