Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Published: June 11

I am 56 and I contacted the disease about a week before my 56 birthday. I got the rash first and since I am allergic to Poison Ivy, I thought that was what it was. Went to my MD and received a heavy injection of Prednisone. Three days later I was rushed to the hospital by Ambulance unable to move my arms or legs and unable to sit up. I had no been able to drink for three days with, my throat so swollen. I was very scared, no had a clue what was wrong with. I was given morphine injections which really didn't help. They released me from the hospital the next day, still no knowing what was wrong. I went home and three days later returned to the ER, with uncontrollable pain and swelling all over my body, my fingers looked like sausages and if they were to swell any more but fingers would burst open. The ER doctor gave me Decadron IV, which really helped and he told me I had Psoriatic Arthritis but my Rheumatologist would have to treat me. I saw my Rheumatologist and he has me on Methotrexate 7.5 mgm weekly and folic acid 1 mgm daily. So far I am doing better, except that I am extremely tired. Acquiring this new autoimmune disease has made my other one more intense. I have fibromyalgia along with two other auto immune diseases. I decided when I acquired this new disease, to check out my doctors credentials, even though I felt he was a excellent doctor. I would advise anyone to check out their doctors credentials

Published: June 10

Hello, I'm a 40 year old male, and have had psoriatic arthritis for the past 10 years. Over the past 4 years I haven't had any treatment for it. I'm on SSD and my insurance company hasn't approved any of the newer drugs like Enbrel, Celebrex, these two meds are the only ones that have worked for me. In the past I've tried most of the older drugs, but had too many side affects.

Published: June 09

At 44 years old, I feel and often look like I'm in my eighties. I don't sleep well due to the pain in my joints. I can't lie on either side due to the pain in my hips. I'm waking with a heavy piercing pain in my chest, at the top of my cleavage, which only allows me to breathe somewhat comfortably if I am in an upright position. My left arm will not move at all in the mornings. I must move it with my right. I rise from bed through a series of rocking motions and my children must put my socks and shoes on. At 29 I was diagnosed with Lupus, though my doctor says that the two conditions are not related. I've not been able to bend properly, sit on the floor, or perform many regular household duties in over 16 years. I thought it was due to breaking my tailbone at 30 years of age, but now I wonder if it is not related to this condition. I don't know what to take to make the pain stop. I currently take 18 herbal medications a day. Without them I can't even get up. My doctor is starting me on something called Metasone.

Published: June 09

My husband developed it when we were building our log home. I understand that stress may have caused it. Anyhow, a couple of years the dermatologists said he had this Psoriatic Arthritis and prescribed HUMIRA injections. He has cleared up a ton, but his joints hurt all the time. He has also been prescribed several topical meds, so I don't know which helped.

Comment from: Adriana, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My daughter is seven years old now. She was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of four. Around two years ago she started complaining about pain in her knees and elbows. Her Dermatologist has referred us Rheumatologist because we just noticed some swelling in the knee joint. It is really strange that she even has psoriasis, when studies show that it in not common in “black" people. She is so young for her to be suffering this way.

Comment from: thor64, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I got severe pustules on my feet at age 10 after walking barefoot in the woods. I have spent years with raw, oozing, bleeding feet as an adolescent until finally receiving topical steroids and getting it under control. All my life, I have maintained with topical steroids. Age 30, had severe dermatologic outbreak on back, chest, and buttocks (basically t-shirt coverage area). Eventually benefitted by topical steroids and Xylocaine. I have moisturized skin immediately after bathing ever since, and have issues when I don't. Started having joint stiffness 2 years ago, evolving into pain, and excessive "popping" of almost all joints. Rheumatologist wrote this off completely, as I also have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. I've had some trouble with eyes as well lately. Now, the pustules have begun to show up on my hands. I'm a 44 year old male, 6'0", 175 lbs, athletic for now.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?