Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Published: July 18

I was diagnosed at the age of 21 with psoriatic arthritis. I didn't have the skin condition and still rarely get any rash. I had surgery on my hands at the age of 22 to regain movement due to synovial inflammation. I currently take 25mg of Methotrexate and 10mg of Arava a week with 500mg a day of Celebrex, without these I'd be stuffed. I find rigorous exercise of huge benefit a few hours before bed to help with movement upon waking. Hot showers work very well and a positive attitude. It hurts, but allowing it to rule and dictate all of life's activities hurts more.

Published: July 15

I'm a 26-year-old female who was diagnosed with psoriasis at age 22. The patches were insane. I was cured with cortisone hormones, and it all went away. Then it all came back, but much worse and I developed the arthritis quickly and painfully. I have been on Humira for the past seven months and the patches have all disappeared, leaving a slight white mark, but completely smooth. Due to the harsh side effects of Humira, I developed a cold that was pretty awful and was not able to inject the Humira for nearly a month, and so the patches started again, along with the pain. I have been back on it for about a month now and things are looking better. Good luck to everyone!

Published: June 25

I am a 58-year-old male that had swelling and tenderness in my joints for about five to six years before it got so bad that I had to see a doctor. He ruled out lupus and after blood tests, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I had a reaction to methotrexate and ultimately was placed on Enbrel. The affected areas were my fingers, elbows, wrists, hips and feet-in addition to mild psoriasis on my skin. The Enbrel made a big difference and improved my overall well-being greatly. Unfortunately, after a couple of years of treatment, I had a reaction to it (red blotches similar to allergic reaction) and had to stop taking it.

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 7. The chicken pox activated it. Suddenly, at the age of 17, the arthritis kicked in. It got to the point that about 75% of my body was covered with patches, and I was in a wheelchair. Every movement was unbearable. By 20, I was introduced to Enbrel by my doctor. I now only have a few on and off out brakes of patches a year, and I am able to move around much like I used to! Of course, it's not the same, I have my limitations, but my life is MUCH better!

Published: June 17

I am a 39 year old female. A couple of years ago, I developed painful red bumps on the joints of my fingers on both hands. One of my index fingers swelled like a sausage. I also developed horrible pain in my jaw, pain in my wrists, and numbness in one arm. I was being treated by a dermatologist who did not know what was wrong with me. I eventually saw a rheumatologist. About a year ago, I started on Methotrexate weekly and Prednisone daily and felt wonderful. I was weaned off of the medication to see if my pain had gone into remission. As soon as the Methotrexate was out of my system, the pain returned. I was started on a lower dose of Methotrexate, but immediately began experiencing dizziness. My medication was switched to Leflunomide about two months ago. My pain has become worse and I am now having daily pain and numbness in my feet, as well as shortness of breath and occasional diarrhea, in addition to the pain in my hands and wrists and numbness in my arm. I've had severe inflammation of one of my eyes and was told it was related to my arthritis. I am returning to my rheumatologist a month earlier than my scheduled appointment this week to see if I can figure out what is going on and possibly change medications. I have taken Aleve, Celebrex, and Arthrotec, but none have provided much relief.

Published: June 16

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 22. I became covered from head to toe with large patches. I was frustrated and embarrassed, but through many trials of creams and ointments I was able to get things under control. At the age of 30 I noticed stiffness and swelling in my hands and feet and a general sense of fatigue. After a year of suffering through what I thought was just stress related ailments, I went and saw a rheumatologist. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at the age of 31. It has been 5 years now and I am constantly trying new medicines and treatments. I am never pain free, but I have good days and bad ones. Currently my arthritis has moved into my spine and is causing me serious problems and pain. If anyone has some new miraculous idea for me I would love to hear it! I have tried it all!

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?