Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had an outbreak of psoriatic arthritis after I went on the meat-intensive Scars Dale diet. A rheumatologist prescribed Naproxen for a short time and then Motrin. This relieved the pain and swelling substantially. Then I went to the seashore, ate only fish for a week, and forgot to take the Motrin. All pain vanished. Since then, several decades, I limit beef and turkey servings to 3 or 4 a week and eat plenty of fish. If I pig out on meat, I feel it. I don't know if this would work as well for everyone, but it does for me. No side effects of medicine, and the diet is overall healthier.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I developed psoriatic arthritis fairly suddenly two years ago. I had scalp psoriasis for a couple of years previously but had not seen a doctor about it. I began to suffer extreme fatigue and had a checkup with no particular findings. About two weeks later, I started experiencing severe pain in my shoulders, back and hips and was bedridden within a week. I was referred to a rheumatologist. I had continuing pain in my back, shoulders, and hips with off- and-on pain in my knees and feet. I had swollen fingers (that weirdly didn't hurt), and psoriasis in one toenail, with that nail detaching almost completely. I have worked my way through various combinations of prednisone, pain medications, Methotrexate, Enbrel and Humira. I am currently seeing some good results with Methotrexate and Humira.

Published: July 31

I have learned people have so many different experiences with PsA. The range of symptoms is very wide, as is the severity. While exercise can be helpful, at some point in the disease manageent, some peple experience flares too severe to exercise and need to get some control of pain and inflammation first, before restarting/continuing exercising. It is very important that people acknowledge these differences in personal stories/experiences. I am one to like exercise. However, when I am crippled with a severe relapse, I cannot possibly exercise, as I cannot even walk, lift a glass/cup, bathe, dress, etc. The pain is excruciating, even with treatments. I hope medical research continues as we need better (and safer) treatment options than are currently available to us! Blessings to all... those suffering with PsA, and those supporting their beloved family memebrs, friends with this extremely painful condition! : )

Published: June 25

At 57, I have had psoriasis most of my life. Many topicals I've used, but no relief until methotrexate perhaps 10 years ago. It worked very well to clear most patches. Seeking a more perfect cure and fear of possible liver damage led me to try Enbrel. This too worked, but did not clear patches on calf of each leg. I tried Remicade and this failed after three moths with major onset of psoriasis like I haven't seen since before the methotrexate years ago. Both legs and body were quickly involved. Along with this attack and for the first time has come the rheumatoid arthritis in both my feet. I am back on methotrexate. I have seen a podiatrist and am heading for a rheumatologist.

Comment from: scouterlorraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I was a healthy active woman, I walked the dog one night, did a few household chores- felt fine, went to bed woke up in the morning my knees were the size of basketballs and I couldn't walk. I went to emergency and they drained 1 knee and started treating me for gout, the next day was even worse, I was back at the hospital for x-rays and blood work, ultrasound- they did know what was happening because it was so sudden, I finally saw a specialist after the critical phase, so I have to wait for a flare up to be treated, any suggestions in the mean time some days my hands hurt, other its my feet or back, nothing I have tried so far has worked.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am a 31-year-old woman who has had psoriatic arthritis for seven years now. I have been on sulfasalazine for a couple of years, then I was put on methotrexate (10 tabs a week) for four years. I am now on the etanercept and it's like a miracle. It is so, so good and easy to use. I wish I was offered it seven years ago, as I struggled terribly being a single parent with a 3-year-old son, trying to have as normal a life as I could. I have always worked through having it although it was awful and the tiredness killed me. I have been on it for eight months. I am able to go to the gym three or four times a week. I work more hours now in my job and even play games with my son in the park. I would highly recommend it, although the side effects are bad. I try to put them to the back of my mind, and as long as I get my blood tested every four weeks, I should be fine.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?