Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with PA 11 yrs. ago at age 48. I have suffered with it mainly in my feet. I feel like I'm walking on hot, pointed, burning rocks and have spent a zillion dollars on 12 different meds and shoes and nothing has given me relief. I am waiting now for the results of an MRI and hopefully will get on a new treatment as I have been med free for over a year. I worked up until 2 yrs. ago and still am in pain all day from the second. I wake up and get out of bed and stand up. It really is exhausting - I go every 3 weeks for massage and chiropractor for my back. I certainly can relate and empathize with everyone that has this cruel disease.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 29-year-old woman who was diagnosed with PsA about three years ago. I have had mild -moderate psoriasis since I was 14. I started experiencing debilitating pain in most of my joints when I was 22 and just starting my professional career. I endured a couple of years of testing, misdiagnosis, and doctors who implied I was faking it. Since I started seeing my current rheumatologist, I have tried a number of different medications including Naproxen, Mobic, Sulindac. My current treatment has worked best - Methotrexate 20mg, Enbrel, and Celebrex. The side effects can be bad, but keeping some anti-nausea medication around usually helps. I still find that the pain limits my activity to a huge degree. I find myself exhausted from the constant discomfort after being up and about for a couple of hours. I had been using prn medications for pain (Vicodin). I was able to return to work while taking the pain medications - without it, I was so distracted by the pain. I recently switched to a round-the-clock pain medication delivered through a patch that I wear for 72 hours. I have found that this patch keeps me pain free, doesn't make me feel “drugged,” and is so easy compared to constantly popping pain pills (which makes me feel like a drug addict). I'm hopeful that I'm going to be able to keep moving towards the kind of life a young person is supposed to have, not limited by my achy hips, unable to drive because of my immobile shoulder.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 22 after the birth of my first child. The arthritis came first, followed by whole body psoriasis. Over the years this condition has come and gone, but never gone completely. Now, at age 63 I have a major flare up of the arthritis but only a small persistent patch of psoriasis. I am questioning whether this latest flare up is as a result of Thyroxin. I have Hypothyroidism and had no trouble with the Thyroxin until the formula changed this year. The arthritic flare up this year co-incided with the change in Thyroxin.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had an outbreak of psoriatic arthritis after I went on the meat-intensive Scars Dale diet. A rheumatologist prescribed Naproxen for a short time and then Motrin. This relieved the pain and swelling substantially. Then I went to the seashore, ate only fish for a week, and forgot to take the Motrin. All pain vanished. Since then, several decades, I limit beef and turkey servings to 3 or 4 a week and eat plenty of fish. If I pig out on meat, I feel it. I don't know if this would work as well for everyone, but it does for me. No side effects of medicine, and the diet is overall healthier.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I developed psoriatic arthritis fairly suddenly two years ago. I had scalp psoriasis for a couple of years previously but had not seen a doctor about it. I began to suffer extreme fatigue and had a checkup with no particular findings. About two weeks later, I started experiencing severe pain in my shoulders, back and hips and was bedridden within a week. I was referred to a rheumatologist. I had continuing pain in my back, shoulders, and hips with off- and-on pain in my knees and feet. I had swollen fingers (that weirdly didn't hurt), and psoriasis in one toenail, with that nail detaching almost completely. I have worked my way through various combinations of prednisone, pain medications, Methotrexate, Enbrel and Humira. I am currently seeing some good results with Methotrexate and Humira.

Published: July 31

I have learned people have so many different experiences with PsA. The range of symptoms is very wide, as is the severity. While exercise can be helpful, at some point in the disease manageent, some peple experience flares too severe to exercise and need to get some control of pain and inflammation first, before restarting/continuing exercising. It is very important that people acknowledge these differences in personal stories/experiences. I am one to like exercise. However, when I am crippled with a severe relapse, I cannot possibly exercise, as I cannot even walk, lift a glass/cup, bathe, dress, etc. The pain is excruciating, even with treatments. I hope medical research continues as we need better (and safer) treatment options than are currently available to us! Blessings to all... those suffering with PsA, and those supporting their beloved family memebrs, friends with this extremely painful condition! : )

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?