Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: grady, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have arthritis I have been suffering with. I am in pain so bad that I wish I were dead. I take Dilaudid 240 4mg tabs /month and morphine 90 60 6o mgs/month. My legs are often giving way and I have broken my wrist and shoulder several times. I am an artist who used to sell 50 or more paintings a year. My ankles and feet swell up. I do all the right things and still am only functional 2 or 3 days/week. I have a caregiver who shares my home otherwise I would not be able to get out of a chair.

Comment from: HappyNanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 60 and after years of pain and being dismissed as a hypochondriac I finally was diagnosed with PA (psoriatic arthritis). I tried Plaquenil but it messed me and my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) up. I left a message with my doctor today and I may have to start methotrexate next. I have been told it is an immunosuppressant drug. I work in health care so I am concerned that it will make me more likely to pick up bugs either at work or from my 6 wonderful grandchildren.

Comment from: staying strong, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had psoriatic arthritis since the age of 11 diagnosed as soft tissue growing pain. At the age of 60 finally I had a correct diagnosis after repeatedly attempting to relay to doctors the extent of my pain. I cried myself to sleep with leg and joint pains for many years. Now I am on Enbrel, methotrexate and Salazopyrine. I have chronic atrial fibrillation and am on heart medication as well as for spondylitis.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was diagnosed at age 23 with psoriatic arthritis. I worked night shift as a nurse at the time. I fought the pain for 2 months before going to my doctor to get some relief. After diagnosing myself through some Internet searching, I was referred to a Rheumatologist who started me one sulfasalizine to begin and ketoprofen. The sulfa did not help so I am currently on Methotrexate. I thought it was working but just about 3 weeks ago my knee and 2 additional toes are swelling. Meanwhile I have been moved to day shift and still pulling 12 hour + shifts. I know someday I will not be able to work them, and the time is becoming closer. I love nursing and I cry when I have to hobble in pain to see my patients thinking I need to be a patient myself.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I first started with psoriasis near my 50th birthday. I did not end up with psoriatic arthritis until about 4 years later. My psoriasis at times has been severe with pustules on my palms and feet, making it difficult to walk or use my hands for work. I was treated with Soriatane which helped, but I lost my hair. About three years after the Soriatane the psoriasis returned full force and so did the psoriatic arthritis. I was then treated with methotrexate, which helped but now everything is flaring up again including my Achilles tendon. I strove to lose weight and have lost 28 lbs. which helps the arthritis and I eat mostly vegetables and fruits and low gluten grains. I am allergic to fish, so I cannot eat that. I eat very little meat, only chicken (turkey makes my psoriasis flare). I do Yoga every day and take long walks. Having retired last year at 62, has relieved some of the stress and I am mostly able to manage my symptoms with only OTC drugs. The psoriasis condition does run in my family, starting with my grandparents on both sides. We also have many auto immune conditions in our family, including Hashimoto' s, Lupus and RA.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 69, female, and in relatively good health. I was shocked in April when I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I had been accepting the deformity and weakness in my hands as part of old age and been 'fighting back' with increased exercise of my hands - not good I learned due to the inflammation. A doctor treating my mother suggested there may be a treatment for me and I saw a rheumatologist as soon as possible who immediately put me on methotrexate 10 mg, folic acid 1 mg. She increased it a month later to 15 mg & 2 mgs. Four months later she added Enbrel 50 mgs. and now I face the new alerts about side effects in the media. I have increased agility, but I suspect the disease is beginning to affect my feet and I am desperate to stop the progression and maintain use of my hands. I can't seem to learn enough and I am grateful for all who have shared here.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?