Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: grady, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have arthritis I have been suffering with. I am in pain so bad that I wish I were dead. I take Dilaudid 240 4mg tabs /month and morphine 90 60 6o mgs/month. My legs are often giving way and I have broken my wrist and shoulder several times. I am an artist who used to sell 50 or more paintings a year. My ankles and feet swell up. I do all the right things and still am only functional 2 or 3 days/week. I have a caregiver who shares my home otherwise I would not be able to get out of a chair.

Comment from: HappyNanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 60 and after years of pain and being dismissed as a hypochondriac I finally was diagnosed with PA (psoriatic arthritis). I tried Plaquenil but it messed me and my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) up. I left a message with my doctor today and I may have to start methotrexate next. I have been told it is an immunosuppressant drug. I work in health care so I am concerned that it will make me more likely to pick up bugs either at work or from my 6 wonderful grandchildren.

Comment from: elizabeth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had psoriasis since 21 years old. I was 55 years old when I started to get severe pains in my hands and feet, I felt like I was walking on sharp stones. My general physician sent me to a rheumatologist and I was put on numerous medication but nothing helped. I felt like I was banging my head on a brick wall and my specialist didn't seem to believe what I was saying because nothing was showing up in the tests he was doing. But after an outbreak of psoriasis I was finally diagnosed, but it had been 2 years of extreme frustration. I couldn't tolerate some of the medication I was given, but I am now on sulphasalazine, amitriptyline and co-dydramol and doing reasonably okay. But the psoriatic arthritis is now affecting my tendons in my feet so I am going to see a physiotherapist and hope they can help.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at 15 months. I was checked for rheumatoid arthritis at age 17. No RF (rheumatoid factor) was seen so the doctor told me it was in my head. I was formally diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 44. I was put on methotrexate and ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times per day. Then I progressed to Humira (severe headaches), Enbrel and Remicade I.V. (It damaged my vagus nerve and caused my intestines to not work efficiently). For pain, I am on OxyContin 60mg 4times per day and use Norco 10/325 for breakthrough pain. Summers and warm climates are best and now that winter is almost here I remain inside most of my days... feel like a prisoner. Every biological caused at the least infections, many infections; at the worst, lengthy hospital stays. My feet, hands, wrists, elbows, and spine are affected. It is just beginning to get into my right hip and I get Supartz injected into my knees. I am trying really hard to keep walking with no cane. I was in a wheelchair for two years and escaped. It was very hard, took a long time and required discipline and patience, but I am walking.

Comment from: staying strong, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had psoriatic arthritis since the age of 11 diagnosed as soft tissue growing pain. At the age of 60 finally I had a correct diagnosis after repeatedly attempting to relay to doctors the extent of my pain. I cried myself to sleep with leg and joint pains for many years. Now I am on Enbrel, methotrexate and Salazopyrine. I have chronic atrial fibrillation and am on heart medication as well as for spondylitis.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was diagnosed at age 23 with psoriatic arthritis. I worked night shift as a nurse at the time. I fought the pain for 2 months before going to my doctor to get some relief. After diagnosing myself through some Internet searching, I was referred to a Rheumatologist who started me one sulfasalizine to begin and ketoprofen. The sulfa did not help so I am currently on Methotrexate. I thought it was working but just about 3 weeks ago my knee and 2 additional toes are swelling. Meanwhile I have been moved to day shift and still pulling 12 hour + shifts. I know someday I will not be able to work them, and the time is becoming closer. I love nursing and I cry when I have to hobble in pain to see my patients thinking I need to be a patient myself.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?