Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?

Comment from: shannon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I got an electric shock in my apartment swimming pool. The pool equipment was not connected to a GCFI (ground-fault circuit-interrupter) and after entering the pool, I dove forward. The feeling was excruciating like I was being slammed into a brick wall head first. It blew me back in the water, and pivoted me. Moving through the water was extremely difficult. It felt like the water was quicksand, slightly pulling me backwards. I pulled myself forward like I was dragging myself through chest deep sand. I couldn't lift my leg up in the water. I reached in the water with my hand and lifted my left foot onto the bottom step of the pool. I scraped my right elbow out over the pool side, got my arms propped under me and dragged my body out. I was immediately paralyzed. I had severe pain, like something had ripped apart all of my bones and tissue in my arms, hands, feet and legs. I called for help and a neighbor called 911. Half hour later I was able to walk with assistance and went to the emergency room. I have a herniated disk in my neck and nerve injuries in my arms and hands. The pain is most significant in my hands. I have regular neuropathy that has developed over the last 2 months. The incident occurred approximately 6 months ago. My memory and balance are off, my speech is affected, and ability to multitask is hindered.

Comment from: TIREDRN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 31 after having my 2nd child. I was bedridden with severe knee swelling and pain. I was able to get Enbrel along with methotrexate. Vioxx was wonderful but taken off the market. I'm allergic to Celebrex due to a sulfa allergy. Also I have ulcers from NSAIDs. For the last 12 years I have done fairly well on my current medications along with Lortab one 1hr before I get up and one in the evening.

Comment from: Honey Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have taken Diclophenic since 2000 when I enter a clinical research project involving double blind test of pill and spray form. I take it after breakfast in the morning with great results. Recently I was diagnosed with psoriasis of the nails. My Dr. told me to wear gloves when doing housework, using water and always when gardening or beekeeping. My nails totally improved in 6 weeks. I also get lots of sun and use Voltaren gel in my painful joints. Good luck to you!

Comment from: Cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year at 40. It took almost two decades for a proper diagnosis. I had perfect health and perfect skin as a child, never used any type of drug, not even aspirin or other OTC medicines until after my 25th birthday. I started getting severe joint pain in my ankles, hips and spine at 22. I also had outbreaks of ugly psoriasis, which also didn"t get diagnosed until last year. The VA treated it as dermatitis with every itch cream on the market, which didn"t help at all. The arthritis in my spine and sacroiliac joints make it painful to stand, walk, sit, or lay down. Finally I got a diagnosis and am being treated with Enbrel. It changed the pain from unbearable to tolerable. Due to my allergies to medications, I don"t want to be on other medicines especially if I have to use them simultaneously. My doctors all say I should lose weight to put less stress on my joints. I work a highly physical job of stocking groceries all night, and don"t eat half as much as my overweight friends.

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?
Psoriatic Arthritis - Diet Question: Have particular dietary changes helped your psoriatic arthritis symptoms and signs?