Patient Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your psoriatic arthritis?

Comment from: TIREDRN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 31 after having my 2nd child. I was bedridden with severe knee swelling and pain. I was able to get Enbrel along with methotrexate. Vioxx was wonderful but taken off the market. I'm allergic to Celebrex due to a sulfa allergy. Also I have ulcers from NSAIDs. For the last 12 years I have done fairly well on my current medications along with Lortab one 1hr before I get up and one in the evening.

Comment from: Honey Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have taken Diclophenic since 2000 when I enter a clinical research project involving double blind test of pill and spray form. I take it after breakfast in the morning with great results. Recently I was diagnosed with psoriasis of the nails. My Dr. told me to wear gloves when doing housework, using water and always when gardening or beekeeping. My nails totally improved in 6 weeks. I also get lots of sun and use Voltaren gel in my painful joints. Good luck to you!

Comment from: Cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year at 40. It took almost two decades for a proper diagnosis. I had perfect health and perfect skin as a child, never used any type of drug, not even aspirin or other OTC medicines until after my 25th birthday. I started getting severe joint pain in my ankles, hips and spine at 22. I also had outbreaks of ugly psoriasis, which also didn"t get diagnosed until last year. The VA treated it as dermatitis with every itch cream on the market, which didn"t help at all. The arthritis in my spine and sacroiliac joints make it painful to stand, walk, sit, or lay down. Finally I got a diagnosis and am being treated with Enbrel. It changed the pain from unbearable to tolerable. Due to my allergies to medications, I don"t want to be on other medicines especially if I have to use them simultaneously. My doctors all say I should lose weight to put less stress on my joints. I work a highly physical job of stocking groceries all night, and don"t eat half as much as my overweight friends.

Comment from: adi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 36 years old I had my psoriasis since 2012 and still going on. I already have been having treatment with UVB Narrowband light and so on but it didn't help; until I found out that the skin problem was causing the joint problem (psoriatic arthritis). And digestive problem causing the skin problem. So I tried fasting to give it a chance for healing itself and I feel better and better every day, because my digestive system had time to rest every two days. With that, I still have my topical Vaseline for my skin from skin specialist doctor. I hope this can help.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 34 year old mother of 2. I have had psoriatic arthritis since I was 14. I was diagnosed with everything from bursitis to being told my knees hurt because women's hips are wider so their knees wear to the sides! I was finally diagnosed properly 5 years ago. I went into remission with my first pregnancy but suffered terribly with my second. My disease has consistently gotten worse since. all of my joints are affected usually only one to a few at a time, constantly jumping from joint to joint. I have tried numerous medications. I refuse to take medicines with side effects that scare me! I struggle to find a safe medicine that I can take without feeling "stoned". I am the primary caregiver to my children and need to be alert and somewhat functional. I have decided to take indomethacin to take the edge off and deal with the stiffness and swollen joints just so I can be a mom.

Comment from: DaisyGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had psoriatic arthritis since I was 11, but back then they just called my swollen joints growing pains, I used creams and tar wraps to no avail, it was horrible growing up with flaking skin and not being able to run in track class. So I was made fun of quite often. It was years before I finally got my family doctor to really take an interest, he found that I had the classic pitting on the nails and that my toes had the sausage appearance to them. Now I see a Rheumatologist that has finally helped get my disease under some sort of control. I take Arava daily, plus Remicade every 6 weeks, plus a couple of muscle relaxants to help with the joint pain. I just wished my previous doctors had not brushed my concerns under the rug per say. Thank you to Dr. Jonnala for getting me on track!

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: How was your psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?