Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: AK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am suffering with a pinched nerve in my lower back. I initially thought this was arthritis but after 3 x-rays my doctor confirmed it is definitely a pinched nerve. Sometimes the pain goes down my hips and knees, and sometimes leaves a numbness in my hips. I get some relief from painkillers, and not sure what other treatments may be successful.

Comment from: KT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis at age 24 after a severe strep throat infection. It took 5 doctors to determine what it was and then 2 more doctors before there was any relief. This resulted in 10 months of being covered in lesions on every part of my body. Nothing topical worked (both prescription or over-the-counter) and nothing relieved the itching. The dermatologist eventually told me to make a choice; increased risk of skin cancer or psoriasis. I choose the increased risk of skin cancer and began lying in the sun covered in baby oil every day for 20 minutes. It cleared within a month! Six years later and I am suddenly covered in guttate psoriasis again. Unfortunately, the sun is not helping this time so I'm back to square 1 but at least I know what is wrong with me this time!

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I had psoriasis for 20 years. After all the useless preventative treatments and excessive costs, I used Enbrel for a few years until I couldn't afford it anymore. Even with insurance, I would have to pay a large deductible ($2,500 to $4,000), and after satisfying deductibles, insurance would pay only $100 maximum for continued treatments, leaving me with an additional copay of $100. I'm glad to have health insurance, but psoriasis requires 'specialty' medications/treatment and a lot of money! I'm waiting for 2015 to start treatment again. I believe anxiety/stress worsens my psoriasis. It's a cyclical pattern, and when it's bad, I pick, scratch, and even scrape with a knife until it bleeds. The itching is insatiable! I use Medicated Gold Bond to relieve the itching temporarily. My doctor recently prescribed clobetasol, and 0.5/zinc spray; I've had some relief as I did with ointments such as clobetasol and halobetasol and yes, the skin gets used to these after a while. One side effect of Enbrel, I believe, leads to thinning of the skin where minor cuts or scrapes can cause bruising/excessive bleeding.

Comment from: joan b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

At age 18 I developed scales on elbow and knees. This lasted until age 65 and disappeared. Shortly after, I developed pustular psoriasis on the bottom of my left foot. If I take an antibiotic for a different reason it clears up but returns even worse when antibiotic is ended. It itches and is painful. My dermatologist has no remedy.

Comment from: tyzac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I developed guttate psoriasis approximately 5 years ago, after seeing 2 skin specialists with reasonable results. About June last year it flared up into something awful on my legs, arms, hands, buttocks, back and scalp. I gave up my job as it involved contact with the public and off I went to another dermatologist. He just asked a few questions, had a look at the affected areas and immediately arranged for phototherapy treatment at the local hospital. What magic! After 21 sessions which ended on a 2 minute treatment, 95% of lesions disappeared. Now I just use Daivobet cream for body and gel for scalp when it looks like something maybe forming. I shampoo and condition with T-Gel alternating days with goat milk hair products. Needless to say, I am much happier these days.

Comment from: NAIL, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 18

Because of heel spurs, when walking, I have been feeling pain from below my ankle to middle of my left foot for many days.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?