Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: KT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis at age 24 after a severe strep throat infection. It took 5 doctors to determine what it was and then 2 more doctors before there was any relief. This resulted in 10 months of being covered in lesions on every part of my body. Nothing topical worked (both prescription or over-the-counter) and nothing relieved the itching. The dermatologist eventually told me to make a choice; increased risk of skin cancer or psoriasis. I choose the increased risk of skin cancer and began lying in the sun covered in baby oil every day for 20 minutes. It cleared within a month! Six years later and I am suddenly covered in guttate psoriasis again. Unfortunately, the sun is not helping this time so I'm back to square 1 but at least I know what is wrong with me this time!

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I had psoriasis for 20 years. After all the useless preventative treatments and excessive costs, I used Enbrel for a few years until I couldn't afford it anymore. Even with insurance, I would have to pay a large deductible ($2,500 to $4,000), and after satisfying deductibles, insurance would pay only $100 maximum for continued treatments, leaving me with an additional copay of $100. I'm glad to have health insurance, but psoriasis requires 'specialty' medications/treatment and a lot of money! I'm waiting for 2015 to start treatment again. I believe anxiety/stress worsens my psoriasis. It's a cyclical pattern, and when it's bad, I pick, scratch, and even scrape with a knife until it bleeds. The itching is insatiable! I use Medicated Gold Bond to relieve the itching temporarily. My doctor recently prescribed clobetasol, and 0.5/zinc spray; I've had some relief as I did with ointments such as clobetasol and halobetasol and yes, the skin gets used to these after a while. One side effect of Enbrel, I believe, leads to thinning of the skin where minor cuts or scrapes can cause bruising/excessive bleeding.

Comment from: joan b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

At age 18 I developed scales on elbow and knees. This lasted until age 65 and disappeared. Shortly after, I developed pustular psoriasis on the bottom of my left foot. If I take an antibiotic for a different reason it clears up but returns even worse when antibiotic is ended. It itches and is painful. My dermatologist has no remedy.

Comment from: tyzac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I developed guttate psoriasis approximately 5 years ago, after seeing 2 skin specialists with reasonable results. About June last year it flared up into something awful on my legs, arms, hands, buttocks, back and scalp. I gave up my job as it involved contact with the public and off I went to another dermatologist. He just asked a few questions, had a look at the affected areas and immediately arranged for phototherapy treatment at the local hospital. What magic! After 21 sessions which ended on a 2 minute treatment, 95% of lesions disappeared. Now I just use Daivobet cream for body and gel for scalp when it looks like something maybe forming. I shampoo and condition with T-Gel alternating days with goat milk hair products. Needless to say, I am much happier these days.

Comment from: miserable and itchy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was covered with psoriasis from head to toe as a baby my mother said, and was found to be allergic to milk. They replaced the whole milk with goat's milk and my mom said I improved. I only remember when I was 15 or 16 I had psoriasis in my scalp and maybe a small patch or two, I used tar shampoos then which seemed to give some relief, then for years my skin and head were clear. Then when I was about 38 I was drinking raw milk from a neighbor farmer and suddenly had a couple of bad patches on my legs. I stopped the milk and again my skin cleared for a good 10 years. With very little irritants, until now at 56, I had a total knee replacement 12/2013 and about 2 weeks after surgery I noticed patches around the same knee I had surgery on. Then It just went crazy, both legs are 40% covered, my arms, my back, torso, my scalp I feel even my eyes are affected, consistently watering and eye goop collecting on my lashes. My hair has thinned. It's just been a real bad 6 months, I've been to my dermatologist several visits, tried all the creams, steroids available with no relief, and the itch is almost unbearable. I've also used coconut and olive oil whipped which seems to give a little help but overall this has been the very worst in all my 56 years. I'm back to my dermatologist tomorrow for a more aggressive treatment. All through my years I didn't do anything special but stayed away from dairy products, but this time they told me it was a reaction from the surgery. I sure hope this clears soon as I'm to have a 2nd surgery on the same knee. Luck to me and to all you suffers of this dreadful skin disorder.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?