Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: joan b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

At age 18 I developed scales on elbow and knees. This lasted until age 65 and disappeared. Shortly after, I developed pustular psoriasis on the bottom of my left foot. If I take an antibiotic for a different reason it clears up but returns even worse when antibiotic is ended. It itches and is painful. My dermatologist has no remedy.

Comment from: tyzac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I developed guttate psoriasis approximately 5 years ago, after seeing 2 skin specialists with reasonable results. About June last year it flared up into something awful on my legs, arms, hands, buttocks, back and scalp. I gave up my job as it involved contact with the public and off I went to another dermatologist. He just asked a few questions, had a look at the affected areas and immediately arranged for phototherapy treatment at the local hospital. What magic! After 21 sessions which ended on a 2 minute treatment, 95% of lesions disappeared. Now I just use Daivobet cream for body and gel for scalp when it looks like something maybe forming. I shampoo and condition with T-Gel alternating days with goat milk hair products. Needless to say, I am much happier these days.

Comment from: magnumtrk826, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had psoriasis for nearly 4 years now but am treating it myself and it is clearing slowly. My back was covered all the way across and about 6 mm high and very thick white. My hands were so bad on both sides I couldn't remove bills from my wallet to pay for groceries. I have spent many thousands of dollars on trying doctors with no help, just get greasy with that $900 salve. I tried everything and finally found what works! It is killing the psoriasis.

Comment from: kikay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I"m not sure if its psoriasis but 3 years ago, there were some itchy, scaly, red spot at the back of my neck. It took about 6 months to cure by not scratching it and taking some cream on it then again another same thing on my fingers (scaly, red and itchy) and toes. Sometimes, I can"t help myself but scratch them. But since I have this thing, my blood pressure went high. All my blood tests, cholesterol/SGPT/sugar levels were normal and I do regular exercise (jogging 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes).

Comment from: bogmonster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For years I had a tiny spot on my right deltoid and I always thought it was a scar from an injection. I noticed one day that not only was the spot scaly but around the spot on my normal skin was scaly. I went to my primary doctor and he gave me a cream to use for a month but it did nothing. He then referred me to a dermatologist and again the dermatologist prescribed me a cream and it did nothing. After using the cream for two weeks I went to the dermatologist for a follow up and he gave me options, another cream or biopsy. We were shocked when the pathologist said it was psoriasis because it was a tiny spot about the size of the end of a pencil.

Comment from: Dona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been diagnosed with psoriasis of the hands. However, when I read about it, it does not sound like what I have. I have open sores on the back of my hands. My hands are very dry. My doctor has tried many kinds of creams, with no good results. My skin is not scaly and it does not itch. Does anyone else have anything that looks like this?

Comment from: Georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I developed psoriasis shortly after the birth of my child. I have used topical medicines with occlusion to try to clear it when it's at its worst. As I started menopause, my symptoms became worse and I changed topical meds, which helped, but not much. I did not want to take HRT because I wanted to deal with menopause naturally. I tried everything available and did not get any relief. I suffered for seven years and was at the end of my rope. I went on hormone therapy and within a month my psoriasis has all but cleared up. I wonder if hormones had a part in the remission. I have looked for information on that question and have not found anything. I'm enjoying being able to wear shorts and short-sleeved shirts, even in winter.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?