Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My scalp is red and tender like a bad sunburn. It itches and has small bumps filled with fluid. I first had the condition around age 63 while going through extreme stress over the death of my parents. I am now 66 and under an extreme amount of stress again and the condition has returned. I feel that in my case stress brings it on. I have also noticed my hair is very thin.

Comment from: m4ryj4n3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with a severe case of psoriasis when i was fourteen. When I was seventeen my dermatologist put me on a 3 month daily regimen of the antibiotic doxycycline or similar to that spelling and told me a team of doctors believed it was a cure. He tried me on it because my case was so severe. I am now 36 years old and it has not broken out since I was 17!

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: July 26

Psoriasis can be controlled by your diet. Candida causes psoriasis to flare up and get out of control. If I eat any type of natural sugar like in fruit or have some wine or bread with yeast, I can wake up the next morning and the top of my forehead is all red and my head itches really bad. It is controls by your gut, it is like a fungus. Tea tree oil helps a lot. I only have it on my scalp and will NOT use tar products.

Comment from: strife, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had psoriasis for years now. First it started on one knee, I thought it was some sort of parasite so I put salve on it and later learned it didn't work. I went to my doctor and was told it was psoriasis. Which made we stress out and made it even worse. Now 2 years my body is covered including un-metionables. I've used cortisone and pine tarsol which took a long time to work and only worked to a certain point.

Comment from: P, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I developed psoriasis in 2000 on my right elbow which advanced to my left elbow, then my knees and from time to time my finger and toe nails. I thought I caught a skin condition from a work colleague but my GP disagreed, yet neglected to tell me what the problem was even though I pressed for an answer. This condition is now at an advanced stage in the areas mentioned and I only realized it was psoriasis after reading newspaper articles and information on sites like this one. I have not sort out any treatment as I realize the skin problem is only a symptom of something deeper. However, my finger and toe nails are treated effectively with Lamisil from time to time.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Male Published: March 21

When I married my husband he had a patch of psoriasis in his hair and on both knees. This went on for many years getting no worse, however, he was ashamed to wear shorts and the psoriasis would clear up when we went to the beach. Non the less, he also seemingly had a milk allergy so I started him on the generic lactase enzyme. He took this every morning for several years and one day we noticed he didn't have psoriasis on his knees anymore and even when he quit taking the lactaid the psoriasis has never returned. However, he never skipped taking the lactaid. We have always wondered if there was a connection between the lactic acid and psoriasis.

Published: March 21

I am in constant pain every day. My psoriasis is located on the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands. Some days I can't even hold a pen! It hurts to walk and the cracks in the skin bleed. The doctors are at a loss as to what I should do. I don't think I could live with this for the rest of my life.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm 40 and I've been diagnosed with guttate psoriasis. I've been offered biologic treatment because cream doesn't work much for my condition. Ever since, I decided to crash my immune system by cutting down on eating 1000 cal max par day. I stopped proteins. It worked. Instead of crashing down my immune system artifically with immunosuppressants, I made it all by myself. If you don't eat proteins you immune system will be down. Worth trying it!

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?