Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: Daisy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 48 and have psoriasis my entire life. In the beginning I used cortizone creams, but like we know you can't keep on using that. Last year I started to use co-enzyme Q10 and omega-3 capsules. The blotches on my stomach are gone. Always apply cream as often as possible, just ordinary light body cream that is not too oily. Stay away from refined foods, alcohol, and eat healthy. I just wish that I could put my hair up like other people.

Comment from: Karen Antolick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have a rare auto immune disease which is pustular psoriasis. First I noticed small pustules on my hands then it covered my feet and entire body. They treat me as if I have plaque psoriasis because not much research is done on my type of psoriasis, and they don't know which medication to use. I have had it and the pain for two years. I now have liver damage and so afraid they will not be able to treat me.

Comment from: Psoriasis Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm 15 and I have had psoriasis for about half my life. I first developed it after a dandruff infection, and was diagnosed after I got a rash in my pelvic area. Eventually we realized that most of my other problems stemmed from my psoriasis. My occasional arthritis, spots on my fingernails, heart problems. I've had rashes basically on my arms, underarms, genital area, and scalp. I used T-Gel and now Head and Shoulders for my scalp. I use Fucidin H on one type of rash, Betnovate and Dovonex for the other, and Hydrocortisone for the general itching.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My scalp is red and tender like a bad sunburn. It itches and has small bumps filled with fluid. I first had the condition around age 63 while going through extreme stress over the death of my parents. I am now 66 and under an extreme amount of stress again and the condition has returned. I feel that in my case stress brings it on. I have also noticed my hair is very thin.

Comment from: m4ryj4n3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with a severe case of psoriasis when i was fourteen. When I was seventeen my dermatologist put me on a 3 month daily regimen of the antibiotic doxycycline or similar to that spelling and told me a team of doctors believed it was a cure. He tried me on it because my case was so severe. I am now 36 years old and it has not broken out since I was 17!

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: July 26

Psoriasis can be controlled by your diet. Candida causes psoriasis to flare up and get out of control. If I eat any type of natural sugar like in fruit or have some wine or bread with yeast, I can wake up the next morning and the top of my forehead is all red and my head itches really bad. It is controls by your gut, it is like a fungus. Tea tree oil helps a lot. I only have it on my scalp and will NOT use tar products.

Comment from: strife, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had psoriasis for years now. First it started on one knee, I thought it was some sort of parasite so I put salve on it and later learned it didn't work. I went to my doctor and was told it was psoriasis. Which made we stress out and made it even worse. Now 2 years my body is covered including un-metionables. I've used cortisone and pine tarsol which took a long time to work and only worked to a certain point.

Comment from: P, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I developed psoriasis in 2000 on my right elbow which advanced to my left elbow, then my knees and from time to time my finger and toe nails. I thought I caught a skin condition from a work colleague but my GP disagreed, yet neglected to tell me what the problem was even though I pressed for an answer. This condition is now at an advanced stage in the areas mentioned and I only realized it was psoriasis after reading newspaper articles and information on sites like this one. I have not sort out any treatment as I realize the skin problem is only a symptom of something deeper. However, my finger and toe nails are treated effectively with Lamisil from time to time.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?