Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: Tlorynp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm confused about my psoriasis because I have one round patch on my left ankle that is always there and has been for years. It's itchy, burns, and has a white patch of scaling on it. I see people saying they get "flare ups" but mine is present 24/7 365 days a year, for years now. I noticed it around the age of 30 and I'm 36. It never moves, I never get it in any other area of my body. Is it possible to have it always present? It sounds like people are saying the patches go away. I also had a large indentation on my thumb nail which has gone away inexplicably. What really concerns me most is that this is an "auto-immune" disease. That freaks me out. I really worry about this.

Comment from: Kathy Lea, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

I developed psoriasis about 8 months ago. It began on the palms of my hands and then it moved to the bottom of my right foot. I have it in other places as well, but just small patches. I have been to the dermatologist and have to say that using too much product that was pushed at me every single visit was making my skin a mess and my nerves were shot. If anyone has it on their palms and it works, please let me know what you did to help. It is very difficult to function when your hands are constantly split.

Comment from: Kerlone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I guess I had psoriasis from 2009 and did not know I thought it was just heat rash. My back, shoulder, and under my breast was smooth, itching, burning, dry, scaly and cracked. I am currently on medication (Imovane, Resilo and Nise) and I'm having another breakout. I use a moisturizing body wash like Olay, or dove and it helped along with an anti-itch cream. I also have it on my scalp, looks like real bad case of dandruff. I would base my scalp with Top Brass and wash hair the next day, but by the next day or two it would be back. Being in the sun make it worse!

Comment from: BOB B., 65-74 Male Published: March 09

Got psoriasis when I was about 20, but didn't get to a doctor right away , but was diagnosed about a year later. Am 68 years now and have just kept it under control. Get a spot or two on my scalp, but have it nearly all the time on my elbows and one knee. Best product that has worked for me is OXIPOR. It works quite well, but takes a week or two to actually get rid of the spots. OXIPOR stops the itching and reduces the scale after a few days of application about twice a day. Always gets worse during late winter (Feb-April) as living on the West Coast of Canada we don't get a lot on sunshine in winter. Summertime there seems to be less outbreak. Be careful with OXIPOR. It will permanently stain clothing and some countertops and enamel sinks. Wipe it off immediately with a Kleenex or toilet paper. Keep away from eyes.

Comment from: Linda makarm, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have a son 5 years old he is suffering from something I don't know. He suffers scaling of his nails and then they fall, otherwise no other manifestations. I am wondering if this is psoriasis.

Comment from: Dona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been diagnosed with psoriasis of the hands. However, when I read about it, it does not sound like what I have. I have open sores on the back of my hands. My hands are very dry. My doctor has tried many kinds of creams, with no good results. My skin is not scaly and it does not itch. Does anyone else have anything that looks like this?

Comment from: Georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I developed psoriasis shortly after the birth of my child. I have used topical medicines with occlusion to try to clear it when it's at its worst. As I started menopause, my symptoms became worse and I changed topical meds, which helped, but not much. I did not want to take HRT because I wanted to deal with menopause naturally. I tried everything available and did not get any relief. I suffered for seven years and was at the end of my rope. I went on hormone therapy and within a month my psoriasis has all but cleared up. I wonder if hormones had a part in the remission. I have looked for information on that question and have not found anything. I'm enjoying being able to wear shorts and short-sleeved shirts, even in winter.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?