Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: dpeiso, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had psoriasis for 6 months after I was told that I have Parkinson's, a nervous reaction. I am A positive in blood group and I found my blood group diet, stuck to it and the psoriasis left in around 5 months, that way 2 years ago, clean since.

Comment from: Kelly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've had plaque psoriasis since I was a small child. I had it in my knees, elbows, and then later on my scalp and in my ear canals. The knee, elbow, and ear psoriasis cleared up in my late teens but the scalp psoriasis only got worse. I still have it now, and my knee psoriasis is back, but well controlled with steroid cream. I've also developed a small patch in my pelvic area. It is very unpleasant and nothing seems to work on it. It often affects my sex life. I did take injections of Triamcinolone Acetonide in my scalp. It cleared for well over a year. When it reappeared, it came back with a vengeance. I went back for more injections but sadly, they no longer worked. My grandfather had it all over his body. He was ashamed of it and so would wear long sleeves year-round. Covering it up (occlusion) is often really bad for it and can make it worse. He was a farmer and always out in the sun. It could have really helped him. My dad didn't have it until later in life (in his 60s). My older brother (now in his 40s) has it in the palms of his hands. Eucerin cream at night helps him a lot. My cousin has it on her scalp. It definitely "chose" our family. While I am frustrated with my psoriasis, I am grateful I only have it over a small percentage of my body. My heart goes out to those with large/painful plaques.

Comment from: jojo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I had psoriasis in my early 30's; but was only diagnosed when I was 37. It started with rashes on my scalp (it causes flakes which I thought was dandruff), elbows, buttocks. After visits with doctors, I was advised to take several medications: tar shampoo fixed the scalp problem; moisturizers fixed the elbows; I also was prescribed "Methotrexate" to lower my immune system. All these medicines cost a lot of $$$! Skin started to improve after 2 months, but then after a year, they're back. I'll have to consult with my doctor again.

Comment from: doll711, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I have had psoriasis for years, a hereditary factor given to me by my grandmother. Mine is mostly scalp related and when it acts up, my scalp literally falls apart. I have used every shampoo I know of, switched shampoos regularly to avoid "getting used to it", and I have finally found something that calms it down. Baby shampoo. How simple is that? I wash my hair every day so I began to wonder if that wasn't part of the problem. Baby shampoo is mild, has nothing that will harm you and bonus, no more tears! I am pretty happy with this and have also switched my laundry detergent to Dreft. It's cheap, smells great and won't irritate the skin.

Comment from: brinda, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

My husband has had this horribly irrating disease since a heart attack about 4 and half years ago, and has tried everything. I suggested hot wax and he has been doing that for the past week. He paints his spots and areas with hot wax, covers it with plastic and leaves it on over nite. In the AM he peels it off, showers then uses Vaseline and plastic in the day time. It has made it non irrating and the lesions are not scaly but soft and non irritating.

Comment from: bobby 2ls, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 75 and have had psoriasis for over 50 years. I had a dermatologist who treated me with a cortisone injection every two or three months and this I find most helpful. The trouble is trying to find a doctor who will give me the injections. I had a serious fall and dislocated my right shoulder resulting in three tears. I feel that my immune system is going crazy trying to treat the injury.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

It started with itching, flaking feet that I thought was athletes foot. Simultaneously the bottom of my feet felt like I was walking on cornflakes and there was tingling in both feet particularly at night. After diagnosis and treatment with Cortisone, it continues to develop and my feet began to crack and then there were some spots on my palms and eventually my thumb and fingertips. There is cracking, peeling, pain and burning in all affected areas.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?