Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: Zebu dee, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I went over a jump on a horse and heard a crack when we landed. My hand got very sore very quickly. I fractured my fifth metacarpal and had a cast for four weeks. It's now off but it has been really painful since all over my wrist and hand due to the way it held in cast. I'm getting movement back but the pain in my hand wakes me early every day.

Comment from: Linda makarm, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have a son 5 years old he is suffering from something I don't know. He suffers scaling of his nails and then they fall, otherwise no other manifestations. I am wondering if this is psoriasis.

Comment from: magnumtrk826, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had psoriasis for nearly 4 years now but am treating it myself and it is clearing slowly. My back was covered all the way across and about 6 mm high and very thick white. My hands were so bad on both sides I couldn't remove bills from my wallet to pay for groceries. I have spent many thousands of dollars on trying doctors with no help, just get greasy with that $900 salve. I tried everything and finally found what works! It is killing the psoriasis.

Comment from: kikay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I"m not sure if its psoriasis but 3 years ago, there were some itchy, scaly, red spot at the back of my neck. It took about 6 months to cure by not scratching it and taking some cream on it then again another same thing on my fingers (scaly, red and itchy) and toes. Sometimes, I can"t help myself but scratch them. But since I have this thing, my blood pressure went high. All my blood tests, cholesterol/SGPT/sugar levels were normal and I do regular exercise (jogging 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes).

Comment from: bogmonster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For years I had a tiny spot on my right deltoid and I always thought it was a scar from an injection. I noticed one day that not only was the spot scaly but around the spot on my normal skin was scaly. I went to my primary doctor and he gave me a cream to use for a month but it did nothing. He then referred me to a dermatologist and again the dermatologist prescribed me a cream and it did nothing. After using the cream for two weeks I went to the dermatologist for a follow up and he gave me options, another cream or biopsy. We were shocked when the pathologist said it was psoriasis because it was a tiny spot about the size of the end of a pencil.

Comment from: Nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I'm 19 and about two and half years ago I noticed a patch on the nape of my neck. I've tried everything to treat it. It burns, it's flaking, and sometimes even bumps appear. It started as a small patch but it's gradually moving down my back and it's spread now to my shoulder blades. Honestly I'm not sure if it's psoriasis but I'm starting to think it is.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My daughter suffers from psoriasis behind her ears. I found out that sometimes dipping a cotton ball into salt water solution (which I make myself by adding a teaspoon of salt into a glass of water) helps reduce and ease the symptoms. I believe salt does miracles. In Persian we have a saying which in English is: if something is rotting, you add salt to it.

Comment from: Tlorynp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm confused about my psoriasis because I have one round patch on my left ankle that is always there and has been for years. It's itchy, burns, and has a white patch of scaling on it. I see people saying they get "flare ups" but mine is present 24/7 365 days a year, for years now. I noticed it around the age of 30 and I'm 36. It never moves, I never get it in any other area of my body. Is it possible to have it always present? It sounds like people are saying the patches go away. I also had a large indentation on my thumb nail which has gone away inexplicably. What really concerns me most is that this is an "auto-immune" disease. That freaks me out. I really worry about this.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?