Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?

Comment from: Nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I'm 19 and about two and half years ago I noticed a patch on the nape of my neck. I've tried everything to treat it. It burns, it's flaking, and sometimes even bumps appear. It started as a small patch but it's gradually moving down my back and it's spread now to my shoulder blades. Honestly I'm not sure if it's psoriasis but I'm starting to think it is.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My daughter suffers from psoriasis behind her ears. I found out that sometimes dipping a cotton ball into salt water solution (which I make myself by adding a teaspoon of salt into a glass of water) helps reduce and ease the symptoms. I believe salt does miracles. In Persian we have a saying which in English is: if something is rotting, you add salt to it.

Comment from: Tlorynp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm confused about my psoriasis because I have one round patch on my left ankle that is always there and has been for years. It's itchy, burns, and has a white patch of scaling on it. I see people saying they get "flare ups" but mine is present 24/7 365 days a year, for years now. I noticed it around the age of 30 and I'm 36. It never moves, I never get it in any other area of my body. Is it possible to have it always present? It sounds like people are saying the patches go away. I also had a large indentation on my thumb nail which has gone away inexplicably. What really concerns me most is that this is an "auto-immune" disease. That freaks me out. I really worry about this.

Comment from: Kathy Lea, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

I developed psoriasis about 8 months ago. It began on the palms of my hands and then it moved to the bottom of my right foot. I have it in other places as well, but just small patches. I have been to the dermatologist and have to say that using too much product that was pushed at me every single visit was making my skin a mess and my nerves were shot. If anyone has it on their palms and it works, please let me know what you did to help. It is very difficult to function when your hands are constantly split.

Comment from: Kerlone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I guess I had psoriasis from 2009 and did not know I thought it was just heat rash. My back, shoulder, and under my breast was smooth, itching, burning, dry, scaly and cracked. I am currently on medication (Imovane, Resilo and Nise) and I'm having another breakout. I use a moisturizing body wash like Olay, or dove and it helped along with an anti-itch cream. I also have it on my scalp, looks like real bad case of dandruff. I would base my scalp with Top Brass and wash hair the next day, but by the next day or two it would be back. Being in the sun make it worse!

Comment from: BOB B., 65-74 Male Published: March 09

Got psoriasis when I was about 20, but didn't get to a doctor right away , but was diagnosed about a year later. Am 68 years now and have just kept it under control. Get a spot or two on my scalp, but have it nearly all the time on my elbows and one knee. Best product that has worked for me is OXIPOR. It works quite well, but takes a week or two to actually get rid of the spots. OXIPOR stops the itching and reduces the scale after a few days of application about twice a day. Always gets worse during late winter (Feb-April) as living on the West Coast of Canada we don't get a lot on sunshine in winter. Summertime there seems to be less outbreak. Be careful with OXIPOR. It will permanently stain clothing and some countertops and enamel sinks. Wipe it off immediately with a Kleenex or toilet paper. Keep away from eyes.

Comment from: Berth, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I can't afford expensive medicine, so I tried herbal cures. Boil guava leaves in water until it looks like a tea. Then take a bath using the water. Try to use it while it is still warm. You may look green after taking a bath, but it's the leaves curing the skin. Also try papaya soap, but nothing scented.

Psoriasis - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?