Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: mama4ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I experienced my first bout of psoriasis when just 8 years old and it had only gotten worse, patches on knees, scalp that never stopped itching, eyebrows that were always itchy and flaky, until I tried Wen hair cleansing products. The tea tree conditioning cleanser has worked miracles for me. I use it on my hair, elbows and eyebrows (carefully!) and after one wash the results were dramatic. I have tried the coal-tar and other shampoos and never had good results. I believe the sulfates in most of the OTC shampoos were just making things worse.

Comment from: Bobdole1, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with psoriasis at age 22. I knew I had had it since I was young but it had never flared to a noticeable point until my early 20s. I"m 33 now and have found the best way to control it. I have guttate psoriasis, scalp buildup and pitted fingernails and rarely, if ever, does anyone notice. I used clobetasol foam on my scalp (it"s like a normal hair product), Dovonex for my fingernails and I use a mixture of sugar and olive oil on my skin every time I shower. Does that seem weird? Heck yes, but it has no smell, it doesn"t leave my skin greasy and it seriously helps get rid of the psoriasis, quick! Try it out: 1 cup of sugar mixed with 1/3 cup of virgin olive oil - mix and apply to the body in the shower after you have used soap (not before as the soap will remove all of the oils). This has worked for me, a guy that went through every form of treatment out there. Oh, and yes, sunlight and saltwater are miracle cures; I just live too far from the sea.

Comment from: Lillypad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am living with psoriasis for about 10 years now. I use Dovobet ointment, however it never made it go away... at all. Recently I cut out all sugar from my diet. I sometimes eat fruit (low in sugar) and cut out alcohol. I noticed my skin get better within a week. It's almost been two weeks and it is almost gone. I had it all over my lower legs, buttocks and arms. It"s a hard thing to do. But since I am seeing results. I can never go back.

Comment from: KC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

One year ago, I went to the doctor because I had flakes in my both hands. At first, the doctor told me that it was unspecified dermatitis but after a month it was getting worse. I already had flakes in my elbows. The doctor prescribe me with steroid but it was still the same, the psoriasis was getting worse. I started to research about my case then I saw this Wassen Zinc-ACE. This is not a medicine, this is a supplements which is good for our immune system. I started to take 1 tablet per day as per instruction then after 2 weeks the flakes in both my elbows and hands are gone. Now I am not ashamed anymore because of my ugly hands as before.

Comment from: Flygrrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I developed severe psoriasis all over my body as a child. I think the stress of moving to a new state and away from my childhood friends triggered it. Doctors had me try tar shampoo and oil on my scalp to loosen the scales, which just made me a smelly, oily outcast. Finally I saw a specialist at age 16 who prescribed light box treatment. That did the trick. Now I make sure I get a little sun exposure and salt water (ocean, pool) regularly and use baby oil after my shower while skin is still damp and basic moisturizer on my face. I still have some on my scalp because it doesn"t see the sun, but no worries. Sun and salt are very healing; no medications.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have psoriasis all over my body. I have tried every medication that was prescribed by my dermatologist; none worked. I started going to a tanning booth about a year ago and my psoriasis is all but gone except a small patch on my knee. I use Vaseline every day to keep my skin from any itching.

Comment from: Psteven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

In the past 20 something years, I have got back and forth. I think I started with Selsun Blue shampoo and that seemed to work but my psoriasis was not bad back then. Then it stopped to work and my psoriasis got worse. I went to the doctor and he gave me steroids. They worked as well but it didn't last. I then started using Psoria Trax and it has worked ever since. I have gotten to the point where I use a 5% in the winter and a 3% in the summer.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?