Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

About 15 years ago I developed palmoplantar pustular psoriasis, what a nightmare, and definitely triggered by stress. At the time I had great medical insurance through work and went to the psoriasis clinic 3 times a week for PUVA therapy and after a year it cleared up; my hands first but my feet took twice as long. I left that job but stayed clear for a few years with no treatments. But then I began to get plaque psoriasis gradually spreading. I found that sunlight and bathing in the ocean cleared it up nicely but winter brought it back again even worse. I then found Roscara lotion, which is made from seaweed and slather that on every day after the shower and that was like bathing in the ocean every day and has kept me clear all this winter. I also notice an improvement when I cut back on sugar and starches.

Comment from: hawks, Female (Patient) Published: February 23

When I was about 12, I developed plaque psoriasis on my elbows, back of my knees, buttocks, and front ankle. It all went away after I dealt with my emotional issues. Many years later at age 45 it came back, again after a great turmoil. I know in my case it is related to my emotional wellbeing. Some foods do tend to aggravate, coffee, smoking, spicy foods, but I believe if you can take care of your emotional side it will go. It is definitely curable, I am a living proof!

Comment from: trig22, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

Both my son and my mother have eczema and a bit of psoriasis (i.e., persistent ongoing problem with dry flaky skin) on their hands. I bought the Lady Soma skin and nail cream for them and it cleared up within a week! Skin is now clear and healthy.

Comment from: foster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I start drinking coconut water and using coconut oil on my skin, hands, elbows, legs, and buttocks; amazing results in two months, skin started clearing up. I saw a dermatology doctor. I started taking sulfasalazine 500 mg 3 times a day, plus Tiamol emollient for 2 months and the psoriasis got worse again. Now I am off sulfasalazine, still used the Tiamol cream with oral Soriatane 25 mg once a day at supper plus UVB light 3 times a week, let's see if this works.

Comment from: daisym, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

My daughter used to have severe psoriasis, and when the outbreaks were really bad, we used the Somaluxe Argan oil directly on the outbreaks, and that made them heal faster for her. After using it for some time, her psoriasis became less. Good luck to you!

Comment from: irishgeoff, Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I tried Roscara psoriasis cream.

Comment from: Jay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I use Melaleuca shampoo and cleansers with Melaleuca oil for psoriasis. It stops itching and heals the dry skin and is taking the red out of it. It is on my face.

Comment from: vivi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I had psoriasis from a very young age like 3 or 4 and it has been so bad that it had affected my whole body. It had affected my toe and other fingers that it would be hard to walk and it got a lot worse with winter. I have tried all kind of medications but none provided good results. And then finally I turned to Ayurvedic treatment. The treatment took years and believe me, it's never easy to follow Ayurvedic medicines, they are so bitter and also you have to follow a very strict diet. But it really works, even though it took a couple of years it can be totally cured.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?