Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

The best treatment I've had is cyclosporine. Unfortunately, when I wean off of the cyclosporine, I have a return of the symptoms.

Published: July 29

I have had psoriasis since I was 10 and it was not until I was in college that it started to get really bad. In addition to my scalp, I started to get patches on my arms, legs, back and stomach. With about a year to my wedding, I started to talk to my dermatologist about other treatments. I started light treatments (three times a week) in addition to creams and ointments. I did see some slight results, but I did not want to walk down the aisle with any patches. With about six months until the wedding, I went on Enbrel (two times a week). In a month, I started noticing dramatic results, and by the time I got married, I was practically psoriasis-free! That was three years ago, and I have been using Enbrel on and off since then. When I am off of it, the patches start up where it first began 18 years ago: on my scalp and elbows. Once I start back on the Enbrel, it does its job quickly and clears up the spots. When I first started on Enbrel, I did notice I had a harder time fighting colds and seemed to get sicker quicker. Now I do not feel I have any side effects, and I am so thankful to be lucky enough to have wonderful insurance that covers most of the medication.

Published: June 13

I have psoriasis on my scalp. I also have really dry skin on my arms. I know it's not dandruff because it is when I am stressed out. I begin to "pick" at the sores in my scalp. I have bought "T-GEL" and found quick relief for the itching and burning of the plaques. The shampoo stinks, but if you put it in your hair and get out of the shower and let it sit 10+ minutes, you get a soothing/tingling feeling. Great relief! Whatever you do, don't overuse the shampoo. It will dry out your hair! Also I've learned to skip other styling products or rinse out daily.

Published: June 12

I have tried all drugs in the books to no avail, until I tried Enbrel, but for about two years. Then we tried Humira and like magic all the patches disappeared, except for a few areas on my legs. Once again I can wear short sleeves and free of psoriatic arthritis as well.

Published: June 10

Well, I do know what DOESN'T work for my psoriasis. I have used steroid creams, with little improvement. Just when I think it's getting better, it flares up again. Also, I talked to my doctor and he said that you need to modify your treatments frequently because Psoriasis gets "Used to" the medicine, and the medicine becomes less effective. Also, I have never been "Clear" so I'm going to talk to my doctor soon about my condition.

Comment from: Nanny, Female Published: January 20

I had psoriasis in my elbows and scalp many years ago. I tried creams and ointments that doctors gave me. I used the coal tar ointment. I was using that when we drove from MD to Florida. I used it on my elbows. My right elbow was on the door where the window is and that elbow was exposed to more sun (and probably magnified by the window) and it disappeared from that arm. While in Florida I used the ointment on the left arm and made sure it was in the sun and it cleared up. I had a flare up later and was applying the creams and ointment the doctors gave me. We had a cabin in the mountains and we lived in the water. Swimming, boating and fishing. The river had a high sulfur content. One day after swimming for hours with my children my elbows were itching. I rubbed them and the patches of scales just peeled off. I have never had a break out of such magnitude again.

Comment from: nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had psoriasis since I was born. Both my parents have it, so they knew what it was when they saw it. I get it on my scalp really badly sometimes, and haven't found a shampoo that works yet, but I'm always trying. My mom and I have noticed that it tends to get worse with us when we are stressed out. It always gets worse at the end of the semester. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, I get psoriasis on my torso, especially on my stomach and up my spine, but I've never seen a website mention this.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?