Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have psoriasis all over my body. I have tried every medication that was prescribed by my dermatologist; none worked. I started going to a tanning booth about a year ago and my psoriasis is all but gone except a small patch on my knee. I use Vaseline every day to keep my skin from any itching.

Comment from: Psteven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

In the past 20 something years, I have got back and forth. I think I started with Selsun Blue shampoo and that seemed to work but my psoriasis was not bad back then. Then it stopped to work and my psoriasis got worse. I went to the doctor and he gave me steroids. They worked as well but it didn't last. I then started using Psoria Trax and it has worked ever since. I have gotten to the point where I use a 5% in the winter and a 3% in the summer.

Comment from: searcher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had dramatic results of improvement in psoriasis after going to Dead Sea spa last month. After research I found that it is possible that the body uses up minerals trying to fight gluten. So I am not eating gluten bread anymore. The sea salt baths help remove toxins and also absorb good minerals of which you may be lacking. I also used Melaleuca Renew intensive care therapy. Also you may be vitamin D deficient so you need sunlight. Possibly eating eggs may help as you may be sulfur deficient.

Comment from: Suresh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Turmeric is an effective medicine for psoriasis. Take 2 teaspoons of pure turmeric power (better to use homemade turmeric powder) and mix with half glass of water and drink early morning in empty stomach. It will cure your problem within a month. It's from my experience.

Comment from: kimber321, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm 46 years old and have had plaque psoriasis since age 15. I've been through the prescription topical creams, light treatments, Amevive, etc., I was 98% covered. Not a single doctor ever told me not to touch the beer. I stopped it and saw how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and affects the immune system. For topical relief I tried Boudreaux's Butt Paste, baby diaper rash cream. It may cause a burning sensation for some but for others it is like any other cream and it clears this stuff up. It is $6.99 at the drug store and far outshines Dovonex. For the scalp treatment, Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. I added zinc or zinc supplements to my daily routine, along with the above. I went from 98% covered for years to having only the smallest of spots in 2 or 3 places, all low cost and over the counter.

Comment from: pittypat1976, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have psoriasis mainly on my hands and inside my nose. I first got 6 injections in each hand and it cleared all of it up but after 2 months it all came back. My palms are raw. Dermatologist gave me ointments and more injections and oral pills. With this treatment 9 months ago, I started having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), atrial fibrillation, shortness of breath, heart failure with swelling and weight gain and ended up having a heart ablation with a LINQ monitor in my chest. I stopped the pills and injections and now all my heart problems are gone. Pay attention to the side effects. So now I am going to try some Ideas I have read here. The ointments don't work. Just cost a lot of money!

Comment from: rachael078, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I'm 19 and I have had psoriasis since I was 2 years old. It has always been all over my body but has recently gotten worse due to exam stress. I've tried so many different topical creams but nothing seems to do the trick! I've just started phototherapy again so hopefully that will clear it up!

Comment from: paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I use Nerisone fatty ointment on prescription very effectively for psoriasis.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?