Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: fayetta, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor prescribed Enbrel, but then my psoriasis flared to encompass my entire body. Now, I have been given a prescription for methotrexate, which I have not started yet. I pray that I will get some relief from this ugly and miserable disease that keeps me awake at night with the itching.

Comment from: reddog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have tried everything from coal tar baths to injectables. Enbrel was really helping to clear my psoriasis, but my insurance doesn't want to pay. So today, I returned to the doctor. We are going to start on Soriatane and see. I have 40% body coverage and it seems to be progressing. I have had this for 25 years and have gotten little relief.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I'm 54 and have had the common form of psoriasis for 8-9 yrs. It started under my fingernails, then my shins, then the sides of my palms, and just lately - under both big toenails! Probably hereditary from my grandmother. Nothing worked until I tried Relieva. My docotr tossed me a trial tube of this cream one day and it started working. Almost immediately the itching stopped, then the plaques started disappearing. My shins are completely clear now for over 1 year. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for nails. You don't need a prescription, it's 100% drug-free (highly concentrated banana peel oil!), and it works for 50% of cases. Thank God it works for me! I woulld crawl over broken glass to get some! Hopefully it will work for some of you as well. Good Luck!

Comment from: jenniferg, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 15 years old and I've had slight psoriasis on my scalp, forehead, back, and chest since kindergarten. I went to a homeopath doctor and a chiropractor in first grade, and it went away. It came back this year, and in the early months I put loads of moisturizing cream-such as Jason's- on it every night, and it went away. it came back about a week ago and I'm starting to put cream on it again, and hopefully it will work!

Comment from: Moragmc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had psoriasis on the soles of my feet for several years. This summer it seemed to be clearing up, maybe because I wore open sandals. A few weeks ago, when the weather got a little colder, I wore socks, and within days, I had excruciating itching and the psoriasis had come back with a vengeance. Creams only seem to make the itching worse.

Comment from: MT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I've suffered with psoriasis for 22 years. When my doctor told me that I had psoriasis, I was just 12 years old. I had no idea what it was, but his clear and short explanation made me understand it straight away. “You have psoriasis. You will see this plagues your skin very often. It won't kill you, it will not reduce your life time, not even a second, but you have to get used to living with your creams maybe until you die (Hopefully not).” For the first few years, I was just trying to understand what made it better or worse. My best treatments have been steroid creams or ointments (they are seriously strong stuff, but at least they work quickly and you don't have to use them too much).

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

The best treatment I've had is cyclosporine. Unfortunately, when I wean off of the cyclosporine, I have a return of the symptoms.

Published: July 29

I have had psoriasis since I was 10 and it was not until I was in college that it started to get really bad. In addition to my scalp, I started to get patches on my arms, legs, back and stomach. With about a year to my wedding, I started to talk to my dermatologist about other treatments. I started light treatments (three times a week) in addition to creams and ointments. I did see some slight results, but I did not want to walk down the aisle with any patches. With about six months until the wedding, I went on Enbrel (two times a week). In a month, I started noticing dramatic results, and by the time I got married, I was practically psoriasis-free! That was three years ago, and I have been using Enbrel on and off since then. When I am off of it, the patches start up where it first began 18 years ago: on my scalp and elbows. Once I start back on the Enbrel, it does its job quickly and clears up the spots. When I first started on Enbrel, I did notice I had a harder time fighting colds and seemed to get sicker quicker. Now I do not feel I have any side effects, and I am so thankful to be lucky enough to have wonderful insurance that covers most of the medication.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?