Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: searcher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had dramatic results of improvement in psoriasis after going to Dead Sea spa last month. After research I found that it is possible that the body uses up minerals trying to fight gluten. So I am not eating gluten bread anymore. The sea salt baths help remove toxins and also absorb good minerals of which you may be lacking. I also used Melaleuca Renew intensive care therapy. Also you may be vitamin D deficient so you need sunlight. Possibly eating eggs may help as you may be sulfur deficient.

Comment from: Suresh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Turmeric is an effective medicine for psoriasis. Take 2 teaspoons of pure turmeric power (better to use homemade turmeric powder) and mix with half glass of water and drink early morning in empty stomach. It will cure your problem within a month. It's from my experience.

Comment from: kimber321, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm 46 years old and have had plaque psoriasis since age 15. I've been through the prescription topical creams, light treatments, Amevive, etc., I was 98% covered. Not a single doctor ever told me not to touch the beer. I stopped it and saw how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and affects the immune system. For topical relief I tried Boudreaux's Butt Paste, baby diaper rash cream. It may cause a burning sensation for some but for others it is like any other cream and it clears this stuff up. It is $6.99 at the drug store and far outshines Dovonex. For the scalp treatment, Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. I added zinc or zinc supplements to my daily routine, along with the above. I went from 98% covered for years to having only the smallest of spots in 2 or 3 places, all low cost and over the counter.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with psoriasis after being put on lithium for manic depression. I use Dovonex ointment, Advantim creams and antifungal creams. Have used coal tar creams, soaps and solutions in the past to no avail. I find a swim in salt water daily in summer and a bit of sun and regular exercise plus water all help the skin. Must keep skin moisturized and have found sorbelene with glycerine & Vit E to be a good basic cream.

Comment from: swtgretchen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I just got guttate psoriasis for the first time three months ago from getting strep throat. It took four doctors to figure out what I had. Everyone else thought it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin they gave me. I still have it. I read about the light therapy, but the doctor said for me not to go to the tanning salon because it's not good for me. I realize the risk, but I would rather take the risk than be itching from head to toe with this horrible thing!

Comment from: Sas, 25-34 Female Published: November 19

I never had any symptoms of psoriasis until a month or so into my first pregnancy. My scalp got flaky and I would wake each morning with white all over my pillow and then all my nails started lifting off the skin and patches appeared on my elbows, knees and arms. Once I finished breast feeding it all started clearing except for my scalp. My nails grew back and my skin cleared but then I got pregnant again and all the same areas came back. My second child is now 3 years old and apart from my nails being back to normal nothing else has cleared. I saw many doctors and have tried many creams, but now pretty much just live with it. What I hate most is when my lower legs flare up and I can't wear anything short in summer. My father has it in his scalp and both my mother and sister have different skin disorders so I'm guessing it's genetic. I just hope my boys don't end up with it!

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 19 years old and when I was 14 I got tons of red and scaly bumps on my whole body; my arms, stomach, chest, legs and then it started creeping to my face. Doctors, dermatologist etc. didn't know what was going on, and then I finally had tests done and I was diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis. None of the creams or treatment worked for me, and I got sick of applying them on my whole body 3 times a day. Then I resorted to tanning. It is not covered by my insurance or anywhere in doctor offices in my town so I went to the local tanning salon. Ever since then I have been able to control my Psoriasis. It's sad that I have to resort to it, because of skin cancer, melanoma etc., but it is the only thing that helps (for me) and it gets bad again when I don't tan.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?