Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with psoriasis after being put on lithium for manic depression. I use Dovonex ointment, Advantim creams and antifungal creams. Have used coal tar creams, soaps and solutions in the past to no avail. I find a swim in salt water daily in summer and a bit of sun and regular exercise plus water all help the skin. Must keep skin moisturized and have found sorbelene with glycerine & Vit E to be a good basic cream.

Comment from: swtgretchen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I just got guttate psoriasis for the first time three months ago from getting strep throat. It took four doctors to figure out what I had. Everyone else thought it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin they gave me. I still have it. I read about the light therapy, but the doctor said for me not to go to the tanning salon because it's not good for me. I realize the risk, but I would rather take the risk than be itching from head to toe with this horrible thing!

Comment from: Sas, 25-34 Female Published: November 19

I never had any symptoms of psoriasis until a month or so into my first pregnancy. My scalp got flaky and I would wake each morning with white all over my pillow and then all my nails started lifting off the skin and patches appeared on my elbows, knees and arms. Once I finished breast feeding it all started clearing except for my scalp. My nails grew back and my skin cleared but then I got pregnant again and all the same areas came back. My second child is now 3 years old and apart from my nails being back to normal nothing else has cleared. I saw many doctors and have tried many creams, but now pretty much just live with it. What I hate most is when my lower legs flare up and I can't wear anything short in summer. My father has it in his scalp and both my mother and sister have different skin disorders so I'm guessing it's genetic. I just hope my boys don't end up with it!

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 19 years old and when I was 14 I got tons of red and scaly bumps on my whole body; my arms, stomach, chest, legs and then it started creeping to my face. Doctors, dermatologist etc. didn't know what was going on, and then I finally had tests done and I was diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis. None of the creams or treatment worked for me, and I got sick of applying them on my whole body 3 times a day. Then I resorted to tanning. It is not covered by my insurance or anywhere in doctor offices in my town so I went to the local tanning salon. Ever since then I have been able to control my Psoriasis. It's sad that I have to resort to it, because of skin cancer, melanoma etc., but it is the only thing that helps (for me) and it gets bad again when I don't tan.

Comment from: maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am italian. I have suffered from a heavy form of psoriasis for 30 years. Once, upon suggestion of a friend I tried PH-21 Psoriasis bath and cream and after one month I saw a miracle. My skin is regenerated and now I live much better.

Comment from: ahmed mahrous, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had these patches for as long as I can remember. They are small and migrate. For the past three years, they have been on my hands. After what seems like a life-long search for the perfect cure, I finally found Elocon (mometasone furoate cream). It's a very effective treatment. Also, swimming in the salt water of the sea is a miracle, and I have found that controlling emotional stress, avoiding injury of my hands, and keeping them constantly moisturized is a good way to avoid psoriasis.

Comment from: RavenMadd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

For those looking for stuff with coal tar in it, Neutrogena has the shampoo T-Gel. It is coal tar shampoo. There was someone who was looking for products with it, so here you go.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?