Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: Elena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

They said there is no cure for psoriasis, but I had for years since I was 9 years old to 17 approximately. I don't have it any more, or at least it does not show on my skin. I spent years with the specialist, and got nowhere, so I sought advice and changed my diet 100 percent until today. I eat food that have properties, always looking for depurative products, so always detoxing my body. I use leeks, kiwi, prunes, beetroot, figs, etc. Some people don't believe what I am saying, but the proof is there. Also I don't eat anything fried or grilled, and no red meat. Not forever, just until your skin get better. Finally sea salt soap helps.

Comment from: Road Block, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Sun and more sun is the best for psoriasis. I have tried all the ointments, salves, etc., sun is the only answer.

Comment from: Tamarab, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

As someone who has suffered for over 20 years with several autoimmune diseases like diffuse connective tissue disease, lupus, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes, developing psoriasis came as no surprise to me. I've also had chronic pancreatitis (now calcific chronic pancreatitis) since I was 15 years old. I started getting a patch of psoriasis on my left elbow about 5 to 6 years ago, that usually got better during the warmer months when I was outside more, that just caused very dry scaly skin. In the last few months it has gotten much worse, even after the summer months, which usually seems to make it better, but I haven't been feeling well and haven't been outside much. I finally showed my doctor the spot and he put me on 2 weeks of prednisone (.05 a day), since it was red, swollen, and hurting really bad in the joint area now. It helped a little, but not much. I also used tea tree oil before I went to the doctor and after, that helped some. I think the best treatment so far has been the ocean water which I'm in a lot during the summer, and the sun, plus going to the tanning bed in the spring and summer months occasionally. Since I've had a bad summer health wise, I've only been in the salt water twice, very little sun and no tanning bed at all in almost 2 years! So, apparently they were helping more than I knew! I have been advised it's time to see a dermatologist, since it seems to be affecting my joints and getting worse. I was just wondering if this disease can affect your joints and cause pain, without having the scaly rash on them. I have a lot of pain in my joints and it seems when I'm in the sun a lot my symptoms get better. I'm curious if the widespread pain could be from arthritic type psoriasis and if it is possible to have severe joint/body pain with psoriatic arthritis, but not had the rash or scaling beforehand.

Comment from: robfrommd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

My dermatologist gave me Cloderm and Clobex, a spray and a cream. I have scalp psoriasis and plaque psoriasis. These medicines have worked great! However, I believe that my reel saving grace was to quit smoking cigarettes, when I did this the large scales seemed to drop off and vanish into thin air. I truly think that my change in habits had more to do with my scales going away than the medications, but I do think they helped break up the scales. Good luck!

Comment from: aish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had psoriasis since I was 19, I am almost 20 now. I got it mainly because of stress, severe stress. I was in depression for months so patches started in my elbow, then grew to my toes and finger joints. I am using mustard oil and moisturizing creams, it works. Please don't take steroids at all. They are very harmful and act for a short time only. I also use a propyl salicylate ointment. It helps greatly.

Comment from: mama4ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I experienced my first bout of psoriasis when just 8 years old and it had only gotten worse, patches on knees, scalp that never stopped itching, eyebrows that were always itchy and flaky, until I tried Wen hair cleansing products. The tea tree conditioning cleanser has worked miracles for me. I use it on my hair, elbows and eyebrows (carefully!) and after one wash the results were dramatic. I have tried the coal-tar and other shampoos and never had good results. I believe the sulfates in most of the OTC shampoos were just making things worse.

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?