Patient Comments: Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Comment from: Sanya, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My family is prone with skin disease maybe because of hereditary reasons. When I saw my daughter with psoriasis, I consulted a known dermatologist in our place and here is what she gave my daughter for medication: I used Muporin Ointment for my daughter and after a month, with regular application (1 in the morning and 1 at bedtime after cleaning with soap and water), her feet were cured. Occasionally on cold weather it occurs but I just put on Muporin again and it works! As for my daughter and husband with psoriasis on scalp, I use Tricort cream every day after shower (once a day). I saw improvements after 2 days and after a week it was gone! And when it occurs I just put on Tricort cream and it also works!

Comment from: vingers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I have found that Bee Balm, an ointment consisting of beeswax, propolis, honey, papaya, and oils, seems to control the psoriasis on my legs.

Comment from: Elena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

They said there is no cure for psoriasis, but I had for years since I was 9 years old to 17 approximately. I don't have it any more, or at least it does not show on my skin. I spent years with the specialist, and got nowhere, so I sought advice and changed my diet 100 percent until today. I eat food that have properties, always looking for depurative products, so always detoxing my body. I use leeks, kiwi, prunes, beetroot, figs, etc. Some people don't believe what I am saying, but the proof is there. Also I don't eat anything fried or grilled, and no red meat. Not forever, just until your skin get better. Finally sea salt soap helps.

Comment from: Road Block, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Sun and more sun is the best for psoriasis. I have tried all the ointments, salves, etc., sun is the only answer.

Comment from: Tamarab, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

As someone who has suffered for over 20 years with several autoimmune diseases like diffuse connective tissue disease, lupus, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes, developing psoriasis came as no surprise to me. I've also had chronic pancreatitis (now calcific chronic pancreatitis) since I was 15 years old. I started getting a patch of psoriasis on my left elbow about 5 to 6 years ago, that usually got better during the warmer months when I was outside more, that just caused very dry scaly skin. In the last few months it has gotten much worse, even after the summer months, which usually seems to make it better, but I haven't been feeling well and haven't been outside much. I finally showed my doctor the spot and he put me on 2 weeks of prednisone (.05 a day), since it was red, swollen, and hurting really bad in the joint area now. It helped a little, but not much. I also used tea tree oil before I went to the doctor and after, that helped some. I think the best treatment so far has been the ocean water which I'm in a lot during the summer, and the sun, plus going to the tanning bed in the spring and summer months occasionally. Since I've had a bad summer health wise, I've only been in the salt water twice, very little sun and no tanning bed at all in almost 2 years! So, apparently they were helping more than I knew! I have been advised it's time to see a dermatologist, since it seems to be affecting my joints and getting worse. I was just wondering if this disease can affect your joints and cause pain, without having the scaly rash on them. I have a lot of pain in my joints and it seems when I'm in the sun a lot my symptoms get better. I'm curious if the widespread pain could be from arthritic type psoriasis and if it is possible to have severe joint/body pain with psoriatic arthritis, but not had the rash or scaling beforehand.

Comment from: robfrommd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

My dermatologist gave me Cloderm and Clobex, a spray and a cream. I have scalp psoriasis and plaque psoriasis. These medicines have worked great! However, I believe that my reel saving grace was to quit smoking cigarettes, when I did this the large scales seemed to drop off and vanish into thin air. I truly think that my change in habits had more to do with my scales going away than the medications, but I do think they helped break up the scales. Good luck!

Psoriasis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Diet Question: Do certain foods positively or negatively impact your psoriasis?