Mumps immunization: The standard MMR vaccine
is given to prevent measles, mumps and rubella (German measles). The MMR
vaccine is now given in
two dosages. The first should be given at 12-15 months of age. The
should be given at 4-6 years. Most children
should receive MMR vaccinations. Exceptions may include children born
with an inability to
fight off infection, some children with cancer, on treatment with
radiation or drugs for
cancer, on long term steroids (cortisone). People with severe
allergic reactions to eggs
or the drug neomycin should probably avoid the MMR vaccine. Pregnant
women should wait
until after delivery before being immunized with MMR. People with HIV
or AIDS should
normally receive MMR vaccine. Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines
may be administered as
individual shots, if necessary, or as a measles-rubella combination.
Villaseñor-Park, Jennifer, David Wheeler, and Lisa Grandinetti. "Psoriasis: Evolving Treatment for a Complex Disease." Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 79.6 June 2012: 413-423.
1. MedicineNet / iStock/ Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine Klaus Wolff, Lowell A. Goldsmith, Stephen I. Katz, Barbara A Gilchrest, Amy S. Paller, David J. Leffell Seventh Edition Copyright 2008, 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved. Pg 169.
2. Getty Images/Photodisc (elbows), Interactive Medical Media LLC (fingers), iStock (knees), iStock (scalp)
3. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
4. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
6. National Psoriasis Foundation
10. Getty Images / Digital Vision
12. Image included with permission and copyrighted by First DataBank, Inc.
13. Image courtesy of National Biological Corporation
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/2/2014
Viewers share their comments
Psoriasis - Effective Treatments
Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?
Psoriasis - Symptoms
Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Creams and Lotions
Question: Which creams or lotions (topical medications) have helped you treat scalp psoriasis?