Patient Comments: Pseudotumor Cerebri - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)?

Comment from: Dawnmm02, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had pseudotumor cerebri since I was in high school from an antibiotic I took for acne. I have had four rounds with this condition and my symptoms each time have varied. The first time, my version turned to double vision with a severe headache. The second round was just an overwhelming headache and my blind spot would grow and expand for hours on end and relax after I lay horizontal for an hour or so. The third time I had the pulsating sound in my left ear constantly for 2 months, along with the headache. Finally, my fourth round with the condition has brought a constant headache and vomiting. I would be wary of any or all symptoms and they do change from episode to episode.

Comment from: Jess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had extreme head pains. They were not headaches. It was this terrible stabbing pain in the back of my head that would move to the front. I would black out from time to time due to the high pressures and the doctors believe I had a mini stroke all due to the pressures, and I had a LP (lumbar puncture) done and my opening pressures were over 50 both times. I went 6 years with this pain and blackouts before the doctors finally found the pseudotumor when everyone else had given up!

Comment from: chickapain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Well, I started having the pain and issues with pseudotumor cerebri at the age of 8. Sadly it happened around the time my parents were divorcing, so they just wrote it off as emotional pain from that. Then in my teens they said it was my body adjusting to all the stress, then as I got older my vision got worse. I had all the signs but they still kept writing it off. Finally only when I looked for a second opinion did I get someone to believe me and boy, did they scare me! When someone says you have a tumor even if it's a false one, your body goes through a little shock. Then the talk of surgeries just made me more scared. I finally had two spinal taps during which both times I got infection into my spinal cord; the second time I had nerve damage also. But once it was confirmed I felt a tad bit better but this happened at the same time I got told I have fibromyalgia, so I was a little overstressed. Now it's been over four years since I got it confirmed and now I know I am not crazy and I am slowly learning to live with it.

Pseudotumor Cerebri - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)?