- Impotence Slideshow Pictures
- Sex Drive Killers: Causes of Low Libido Slideshow
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz
- Patient Comments: Prostatitis - Experience
- Patient Comments: Prostatitis - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Prostatitis - Treatment
- Find a local Urologist in your town
- Prostatitis facts
- Prostatitis definition
- What causes prostatitis?
- What are the risk factors for prostatitis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of prostatitis?
- When should I see my doctor for prostatitis?
- How is the diagnosis of prostatitis made?
- What is the treatment for prostatitis?
- What are the complications of prostatitis?
- What is the prognosis for prostatitis?
- Prostatitis conclusion
Quick GuideProstate Cancer Pictures Slideshow: Visual Guidelines to Symptoms, Tests and Treatment
What is the prognosis for prostatitis?
- Acute bacterial prostatitis can often be treated very successfully and has a very good prognosis.
- Chronic prostatitis, and especially chronic nonbacterial prostatitis, can often lead to long-term symptoms and discomfort if treatment is unsuccessful. It is important to have close follow-up and continued care by either your primary care physician or a urologist.
- Prostatitis does not to increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.
Prostatitis can be an acute bacterial illness that is often easily treated with antibiotics, or it can be a chronic condition that recurs and requires long-term medical attention.
Medically reviewed by Michael Wolff, MD; American Board of Urology
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine; 7th edition; Judith Tintinalli; McGrawHill 2011.