Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Brad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had no physical symptoms at all. But my PSA began to rise a couple of years ago, from about 3.0 all the way up to 11.3. However, it was not in a directly upward rise, rather up then down, up again then down. First urologist thought "not cancer" but the second insisted on a biopsy. Biopsy showed one side had 95% cancer, the other side 30%, with a Gleason 10. Scans showed no metastases, but local involvement is likely. I'm just starting hormone treatment (lupron and casodex) and will start radiation (IMRT) in a couple of weeks.

Comment from: Clemphil, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My 85 year old father has been battling prostate cancer for a couple years now. He has gone through radiation and chemo treatments. We have been told the cancer has spread and his PSA is 1600. When he was doing the treatments they also had him on a number of meds from antidepressants to pain pills and many others. He was totally out of his mind and very abusive, wouldn't eat and they sent him home and we have been on Hospice for the last couple of months. Up until all the treatment and drugs, my father was very sharp and just last summer he was mowing his own 6.5 acres of grass. He is now bed ridden cannot support his own weight of 140 lbs. and he is 6' 3". Once we brought him home and stopped all the drugs he got his mind back and he started eating and getting better over all. Three times now he has been back to the hospital and into the same routine of being loaded up with drugs, losing his mind and then coming home. Just last week he started bleeding very bad through his catheter. The clots were so bad they plugged up his catheter and we ended up taking him back to the hospital. My wife has had a lot of bladder infections and this is what it looked like to us. The hospital put him on antibiotics and within hours the bleeding stopped which is how a bladder infection acts. They have kept him in the hospital and put him on pain killers and antidepressants again and they have given him blood transfusions of 4 pints. He has been in no pain at all, but they continue with the pain medications and he goes absolutely crazy. They have done no x rays, but the doctors say the bleeding is the cancer from the prostate.

Comment from: GeorgiaGirl, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 23

If you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, insist on the chest X-ray. My father had not smoked in more than 20 years when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His doctors decided that the X-ray was not needed. Two years later, we found out he had stage 4 lung cancer. He had the lower lobe of his lung removed and underwent some radiation but never was strong enough for chemo. He only lived six months after the lung cancer diagnosis. Please don't let your loved one or yourself be in this position. The earlier cancer is diagnosed, the better your chances are of beating it! God bless you!

Comment from: Max, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I have absolutely no symptoms! I am 67 years old and my doctor always ordered an annual PSA. This year it showed up elevated for the first time. A subsequent biopsy revealed a Gleason 9 tumor confined to the prostate gland. I had a bone scan which showed no evidence of spreading, so apparently it was caught early. I was then placed on Lupron injections which dropped my PSA from 6.5 to 0.4. Next week I start on radiation therapy with the very latest equipment which uses photon radiation rather than x-ray and it has an extremely accurate aiming system. I can't remember what the equipment is called, but it is the very latest-and expensive, I'm told. I am a strong supporter of PSA screening because I believe with the aggressiveness of my cancer I would not have had any symptoms until it had already spread.

Comment from: natural bodybuilder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee( about 8-12 cups)during the day and beer(4 cans)at night. I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee (about 8-12 cups) during the day and beer (4 cans) at night. My PSA number jumped 1+ points from a 3 to over a 4. Upon getting a biopsy in 12 sites, 3 sites came up with a Gleason score of 6 and 1 site with a 7. I had my prostate totally removed by robotic surgery. One week after the operation the catheter was removed and within a few minutes I had fairly good bladder control. After one more week, it appears I have full bladder control. I will have another PSA test in about 3 weeks and see the doctor a week after that. I am 64 and I exercise very strenuously 8-10hrs/week with weight. I am a lifetime natural bodybuilder who last competed in September. I taught the biological sciences (including human anatomy and physiology) and chemistry for 38 years at the high school level and I have a Masters' degree in human nutrition. By the way, even 15 days after the operation I am still urinating roughly the same amount of urine as before the operation.

Prostate Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your prostate cancer?
Prostate Cancer - Evaluation and Diagnosis Question: How was your prostate cancer diagnosed?