Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 09

Same as for enlarged prostate.

Comment from: raymond, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been suffering since I was 21 with swollen tubes to the testicles and excruciating testicle pain. I am now 48 every time I open my bowels the swelling and the pain gets too much because I have suffered so long I now have calcifications. Sperm discharges sometimes when I open my bowels I have had prostatic massages too many antibiotics biopsy bladder stretched and now I have fibro myalgia ostio arthritis depression gout high blood pressure and I am very fatigued most days seen too many. Doctors and I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Habu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer but all of my check-ups were normal except my psa was a little above what is normal for me. My doctor sent me to a Urologist because I had just turned 60 and I'm African American. The Urologist decided to do a biopsy just to ease my concerns and found 4 out of 6 samples from the right are cancerous.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My husband had a fairly low PSA and was referred to a urologist which proceeded to biopsy. The next morning he awoke with a raging fever, chills and general weakness. As soon as the doctors office opened we went in and he was immediately admitted to the hospital with what was determined, 2 days later, E-Coli bacteria. He was one of the few who get it. He took the required, strong antibiotic the day before, but not a thorough cleaning like you take with a colonoscopy. He certainly doesn't plan to do that again, unless his PSA REALLY increases.

Published: June 14

I've been suffering from pains in the groin area as well as a very painful stabbing pain between my testicles and my bum. Also I need to urinate a dozen times a day (min) as well as needing to move my bowels on average 6/8 times a day. On top of this I also suffer from pains in my lower abdominal and lower back. Had tests to show a lump on my prostate which was said to be unknown.

Comment from: jnurse68, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My dad is 74 he had symptoms in 2003 and opted for surgery. In 2009 the symptoms returned with lower back pain and numbness in the leg. A CT scan and MRI revealed advanced prostate cancer. He is on pain meds for his back and hormone therapy I don't even know if it works. He has been in the hospital for a month and just wants to go home.

Comment from: Moke, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

In 2006 my PSA was 1.3 in 2007 it was up to 3.6 in December of 2008 it went up to 19. Early in 2009 I had my prostate remove 3 months after surgery my PSA was 19. It is now Dec.3 2009 and I am not being treated. I am on the watch and wait program. My last PSA score taken 2 months ago my PSA was 29. Bone scans, cat scans show no cancer yet. My doctor says he will not let my PSA score get above 60 and he will start treatment. I am 61 years old and I have never have any of the warning signals of prostate cancer it was found during a routine physical.

Comment from: dunion, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had been having my PSA tested for approximately 10 years and it always read 1.4. When I reached age 64 it read 2.2 and I was told it was normal. At age 65 it read 3.4 and the doctor's nurse called and said my reading was normal. Concerned about the PSA increasing, I called the doctors office and requested to speak with the doctor. When he called me back I asked about the PSA increasing and he decided to send me to a surgeon. The surgeon did a digit exam which was much more thorough than the previous doctor and he could feel a very small lump. A subsequent biopsy proved it to be cancer.

Prostate Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your prostate cancer?
Prostate Cancer - Evaluation and Diagnosis Question: How was your prostate cancer diagnosed?