Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Chuck, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My symptom of prostate cancer was difficulty urinating.

Comment from: Joe Lishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

By my PSA count was 6.05 and on antibiotic treatment 1 month later was 6.75. Biopsy was done and I am told it must be removed asap. NO other symptoms. Doc did say biopsy also showed slight size increase. I do not feel any of the symptoms and am 61 years old and never smoked or drink and play golf 3 days a week walking each round and in good health. Need to go for operation in 3 days time.

Comment from: Michael Vee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I was 47 years old and had no symptoms at all. My Prostate wasn't enlarged; I had no problem with urination. It could not be detected by a rectal exam. My M.D. decided to do a PSA test because I was over 45 years old. My cancer was just about to leave my nerve endings and enter my bones. I was afraid and bewildered. They removed my Prostate, nerve endings and all on August 11, 1999; declared me cancer free in January of 2000. It was back by July of 2000 and I began radiation treatments. Today I am cancer free going on 11 years.

Comment from: just me sharing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My prostate cancer was caught during a biopsy. However, even with a biopsy, if there is not a cut with a cancer cell in it, you can still have cancer and not know it. This is a shame, and I think this is why so many men may die of prostate cancer. When the doctor asked if I wanted another biopsy, I said not for two years. I am lucky; I am in the three-to-five range and have chosen the newest radiation method.

Comment from: SoutheasternUS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had no real noticeable symptoms, other than maybe getting up more than once to urinate at night when drinking Powerade. I was better able to retain water or even beer. PSA 3.52 10/05/2006, 4.83 8/23/2007, 5.21 8/31/2007, 8.69 11/4/2009. DRE on 12/6/2009 indicated need for biopsies that found cancer in 1 of 12 cores, Gleason 6, less than 10% of right lobe, and possible 1 left lobe core. Choice of radical open surgery performed on March 8, 2010. I am age 58, a non-smoker (tobacco). The pathology of removed prostate showed left lobe cells had advanced to cancerous. I am very satisfied with my treatment choice. Note gap in PSA test result dates from 8/31/2007 to 11/4/2009. The time for action was in 2007 and 2008 was skipped. I got lucky.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

There were no symptoms to show I had prostate cancer. During a colonoscopy, they found a lump, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was started with a radical prostatectomy, then hormone therapy, and then radiation therapy. On the Gleason score, I was 11 out of 12, and after surgery, they found 9 out of 10 in surrounding tissue. That was more than a year ago. I am cancer-free now, which is great, but I will still get my needle every three months.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I had absolutely no symptoms. The local hospital offered a PSA test and rectal exam for $10, and the doctor who did the rectal exam told me he felt abnormalities. He said I should have my regular doctor refer me to an oncologist. After the biopsy came back positive, I waited and tested again and then opted for removal. My initial PSA was 14 and now it is .02. In hindsight, I should have waited and tested as now I understand this cancer is slow in growing.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

The first symptom I noticed with my prostate cancer was changes in my urinary habits. I was having to go at night and not was unable to empty my bladder completely. I have a family history also, and that prompted me to get a PSA test and ultimately a biopsy that showed my Gleason # to be 6. I am currently going to the hospital to see if brachytherapy will be an option. I do not know yet if it is because I had breast cancer surgery, chemo and radiation treatments last year.

Prostate Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your prostate cancer?
Prostate Cancer - Evaluation and Diagnosis Question: How was your prostate cancer diagnosed?