Patient Comments: Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: natural bodybuilder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee( about 8-12 cups)during the day and beer(4 cans)at night. I was asymptomatic except for difficulty maintaining an erection which I perceived as symptomatic of age related dwindling testosterone levels. I urinated frequently but this was mostly due to my consumption of coffee (about 8-12 cups) during the day and beer (4 cans) at night. My PSA number jumped 1+ points from a 3 to over a 4. Upon getting a biopsy in 12 sites, 3 sites came up with a Gleason score of 6 and 1 site with a 7. I had my prostate totally removed by robotic surgery. One week after the operation the catheter was removed and within a few minutes I had fairly good bladder control. After one more week, it appears I have full bladder control. I will have another PSA test in about 3 weeks and see the doctor a week after that. I am 64 and I exercise very strenuously 8-10hrs/week with weight. I am a lifetime natural bodybuilder who last competed in September. I taught the biological sciences (including human anatomy and physiology) and chemistry for 38 years at the high school level and I have a Masters' degree in human nutrition. By the way, even 15 days after the operation I am still urinating roughly the same amount of urine as before the operation.

Comment from: rob49, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 67 year old male. I just got back my results and there is a little bit of cancer in prostate, with a Gleason score of 6 which they say is not bad, but PSA is over 10.

Comment from: CARLS COLON, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I go to urinate 3 or 4 times at night. My PSA is over 6 per cent. I did a prostate biology and result is negative. I am concerned about prostate cancer now.

Comment from: Chuck, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My symptom of prostate cancer was difficulty urinating.

Comment from: just me sharing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My prostate cancer was caught during a biopsy. However, even with a biopsy, if there is not a cut with a cancer cell in it, you can still have cancer and not know it. This is a shame, and I think this is why so many men may die of prostate cancer. When the doctor asked if I wanted another biopsy, I said not for two years. I am lucky; I am in the three-to-five range and have chosen the newest radiation method.

Comment from: SoutheasternUS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had no real noticeable symptoms, other than maybe getting up more than once to urinate at night when drinking Powerade. I was better able to retain water or even beer. PSA 3.52 10/05/2006, 4.83 8/23/2007, 5.21 8/31/2007, 8.69 11/4/2009. DRE on 12/6/2009 indicated need for biopsies that found cancer in 1 of 12 cores, Gleason 6, less than 10% of right lobe, and possible 1 left lobe core. Choice of radical open surgery performed on March 8, 2010. I am age 58, a non-smoker (tobacco). The pathology of removed prostate showed left lobe cells had advanced to cancerous. I am very satisfied with my treatment choice. Note gap in PSA test result dates from 8/31/2007 to 11/4/2009. The time for action was in 2007 and 2008 was skipped. I got lucky.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

There were no symptoms to show I had prostate cancer. During a colonoscopy, they found a lump, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was started with a radical prostatectomy, then hormone therapy, and then radiation therapy. On the Gleason score, I was 11 out of 12, and after surgery, they found 9 out of 10 in surrounding tissue. That was more than a year ago. I am cancer-free now, which is great, but I will still get my needle every three months.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I had absolutely no symptoms. The local hospital offered a PSA test and rectal exam for $10, and the doctor who did the rectal exam told me he felt abnormalities. He said I should have my regular doctor refer me to an oncologist. After the biopsy came back positive, I waited and tested again and then opted for removal. My initial PSA was 14 and now it is .02. In hindsight, I should have waited and tested as now I understand this cancer is slow in growing.

Prostate Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your prostate cancer?
Prostate Cancer - Evaluation and Diagnosis Question: How was your prostate cancer diagnosed?