Patient Comments: Prolactinoma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your prolactinoma?

Comment from: DH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My blood test showed high levels of prolactin. So a MRI was done and showed nothing! My doctor wants to repeat in 6 weeks just to keep an eye on it. The more I read about this, the more I feel uneasy! I have All the symtoms, but they could be cause by my meds that I take already (I'm recovering from back surgery).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I went to the ER with a migraine and it was found on an MRI. The doctor said it did not cause the migraine but did increase the intensity of the headache. They are treating the tumor with drugs.

Comment from: Lu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I did not have any symptoms at all. The prolactinoma was discovered when I developed vertigo, and a CT scan was ordered. The dizziness I had with the vertigo was totally unrelated to the prolactinoma.

Comment from: just me, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

With my prolactinoma, I started to rapidly gain weight, felt very fatigued, lost my period, and had really bad headaches. Then after a little while, those symptoms increased to also lactating (as if my body was pregnant). When I went to the doctor they kept telling me that everything was alright. I was 22 years old then, and finally begged to see a specialist. The new doctor ordered an MRI and that's how they found it. Mine is a Macroadenoma 16 x 14 and unfortunately too large to try and remove. They put me on Dostinex and it has stopped the growth, but the hormone imbalance is still there.

Comment from: mrs. Rohl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

A blood test showed raised levels of prolactin. I had fluid in my breasts also. I did not do the MRI as my doctor asked. I had a CT scan done of the pituitary gland and this showed a pituitary microadenoma. I am taking Dostmex two times a week for one month. My doctor is only monitoring it now to see if it gets bigger.

Comment from: Davly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am taking Bromocriptine and I get tightness in my chest and sometime a faster heart rate. Also I had a nose cold before taking the medication and I still have a runny nose like I still have a cold but sometime my nose gets dry inside and I get watery discharge after.

Comment from: Stephanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I did not have a period for a year and a half. My ob/gyn said it was because I was overweight. I didn't believe that. Eventually, she did a blood test and found that my prolactin levels were high. After medication (bromocriptine), I started ovulating and having a period again, and got pregnant with my now, 7 month old, after having two other girls, 15 and 17 years old!

Comment from: maria, Male Published: March 07

My periods stopped that's how they found my tumor. I got the operation and then six weeks radiotherapy.

Prolactinoma - Share Your Experience Question: Has prolactinoma affected you or your family? Please share your experience.
Prolactinoma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for a pituitary tumor in you or someone you know?