Patient Comments: Prolactinoma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your prolactinoma?

Comment from: von, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have all the symptoms of emphysema and chronic bronchitis; chest tightness and back pain, coughing blood, shortness of breath when I exercise, and always tired. Overinflated lungs is all that shows on x-ray but I cannot get diagnosed with anything, and cannot get the right medication. My symptoms get worse when I go the city with the smog and near the ocean and unflued gas heaters and cooking smells. So as you can imagine, everyone tells me it is in my head; definitely not. I have been perfectly fine up until 4 years ago when all this started. I don't know where to turn to next. I had bronchoscopy, CT chest scan, MRI of back (for the pain); my symptoms just are not getting better. I have seen 3 respiratory doctors and all say there is nothing and I cannot work out what's happening.

Comment from: Soran, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

It was spring 2010 when I took my child to a park to play and felt dizzy twice. Next day I went to the ENT suspecting I have some flu or virus, and the ENT sent me for MRI and we found pituitary tumor, type prolactinoma. My blood test shows over 250 prolactin. Since then I am under hormone therapy, and getting Dostinex, thyroxine, testosterone, plus vitamin B12 injection. Gradually I felt much better with regard to my movements! Memory, and sexual appetite were regained. After three years my doctor advised me to use Nolvadex 20 mg instead of testosterone injection, and I am little doubtful on that, but I just started use it and so far I want to see what kind of change it makes regarding pumping up my sexual power.

Comment from: ilovefreebies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had my obstetrician/gynecologist appointment last month and blood work done. My prolactin level is high so the obstetrician ordered another blood test, and it still came out the same. So she asked me to see an endocrinologist because she said it might me a prolactinoma. I had headaches and blurry vision, I had my eye checked also before my obstetrician appointment, and I have a little prescription. Now I am hoping for a good result on my next appointment with my endocrinologist.

Comment from: Buttercup, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Ever since I started with menses, I"ve been irregular, to the point of being anemic. When I was 25 I noticed I had a creamy discharge from my breast only during my period, which would be every month or every 3 to 6 months! Anyhow, I told my doctor and he said "don"t worry, this happens to some women, you"ll be fine and don"t squeeze!" I had a negative breast ultra sound and an ultrasound of my uterus, everything was normal so I didn"t worry until now 18 years later. My initial prolactin level was in the 50s, since my MRI was negative the endocrinologist asked me to be aware of other symptoms. Eight months later I now have headaches about 3 times a week. I"ve been juicing for about two years and trying to exercise though truthfully I think it"s only about 2 times a week but I believe all this helps. My last prolactin level was 74 last month now I"m waiting on another MRI. I hate being sick, but knowing me I won"t go gentle into the night! I appreciate everyone"s input.

Comment from: Mae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I"m 27, was diagnosed with a prolactinoma in February of last year (2013); it was roughly 9mm. I am on bromocriptine and the breast milk and headaches stopped in August 2013 but have started again. I don"t have a normal period, but I do have one now, whereas before I did not.

Comment from: STELLA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been unable to conceive after 2 years of marriage. I was diagnosed of uterine fibroid, I did a surgery and got it removed successfully. After three months I went for HSG (hysterosalpingogram) and my tubes were confirmed ok yet still not pregnant, a month later I went for hormonal profile and the result revealed very high prolactin and TSH but I have never noticed any negative symptom like breast secretion. I have been on Parlodel and clomiphene for almost two months still up till now I have not conceived. I am very worried about the whole situation.

Prolactinoma - Share Your Experience Question: Has prolactinoma affected you or your family? Please share your experience.
Prolactinoma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for a pituitary tumor in you or someone you know?