Patient Comments: Prolactinoma - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for a pituitary tumor in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Miracle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I stopped having periods when I was about 19 years old. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. I was prescribed some hormones which would helped temporarily. When I was taking it my periods were regular, when I stopped, they also stopped. Then I came to US. Here I finally was diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. It was 20 years ago. Then the tumor was more than a 1 cm large. I was prescribed bromocriptine. I hardly tolerated it, but it worked. The tumor shrank almost in half. My periods came back to normal. Also my weight came back to normal. I was pretty overweight before. I got pregnant and stopped taking pills. I breast fed for 5 months. The tumor started growing again. I went back to Dostinex and the tumor shrank again. After 2 years I got pregnant again. Two weeks before the due date my I started experiencing blurry vision and had an MRI done. The tumor was more than 2 cm. I started Dostinex immediately. I gave birth to a healthy baby, but couldn"t breast feed. Two weeks after C-section, I had my tumor removed. The surgery was very successful. But 8 years after the surgery I started having irregular periods. I went back to Dostinex for 2 years. My periods went back to normal, but prolactin level stayed high (65 - minimum). Now my periods are regular, prolactin is 165, have milk and tumor more than a cm. I am going back to see my endocrinologist next week.

Prolactinoma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your prolactinoma?
Prolactinoma - Share Your Experience Question: Has prolactinoma affected you or your family? Please share your experience.