What other names is Progesterone known by?
Corpus Luteum Hormone, Hormone de Grossesse, Hormone du Corps Jaune, Hormone Lutéale, Hormone Progestative, Luteal Hormone, Luteohormone, Lutine, NSC-9704, Pregnancy
Hormone, Pregnanedione, Prégnanedione, Progestational Hormone, Progesterona, Progestérone, Progesteronum, 4-Pregnene-3; 20-Dione.
What is Progesterone?
Progesterone is a hormone that occurs naturally in the body. It can also be made in a laboratory. People use it for medicine.
Likely Effective for...
- Use with estrogen as hormone replacement therapy.
- Absence of menstrual periods.
- Infertility when used as a vaginal cream.
Possibly Effective for...
- Breast pain.
- Abnormal thickening of the lining of the uterus.
- Menopausal symptoms.
- Infertility when used as an injection.
Possibly Ineffective for...
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Treating or preventing hormone-mediated allergies, bloating, decreased sex drive, depression, fatigue, headaches, low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), increased blood clotting, irritability, memory loss, miscarriages, thyroid dysfunction, unclear thinking, uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, water retention, weight gain, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).