Patient Comments: Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - Diagnosis

How was your primary biliary cirrhosis diagnosed?

Comment from: Betbryn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was diagnosed with PBC in February of 2009. It has taken me quite a while to get my head around and to accept that I have this horrible condition. I am 64 years old - still active and working part-time - and being a farmer's wife having to cook and look after two grown men. I have very good days and some not so good. I find myself not feeling too good for the first hour or so in the mornings. I get bouts of fatigue and just a little bit of itching from time to time. I take three Ursos a day {250} and I am sure they help. A little bit of depression sets in some days when I'm feeling negative. The magazines from the PBC Society always put me in a positive mood - God bless the editor and staff.

Comment from: :NCson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

My PBC was diagnosed during my yearly physical and blood work. An ultrasound, a multitude of blood tests and a liver biopsy as well as two CAT scans confirmed I have an overlap of PBC and immune hepatitis. I have a great doctor and he is following up with all the tests needed, and I feel great.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My primary biliary cirrhosis was diagnosed through routine blood tests and a liver biopsy.

Comment from: DeAnne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am a 46 year old female. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago. My doctor was watching my liver function for about 2 years, and then sent me for a liver biopsy. I had pbc. It was then confirmed by a blood test. I take 500 mg of unsocial twice a day. My liver function is now normal.

Comment from: LDM1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a 51 year old female, who has never had health issues. A routine blood work up showed high liver enzymes. Further blood work showed I had Lyme Disease. I was treated for that for three weeks with antibiotics. Aside from fatigue, I had no serious symptoms. My levels began to go down, but my doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist. That turned into further blood work, and a liver biopsy. Today I was told I have primary biliary cirrhosis. I am in utter shock and scared. My Doctor totally frightened me by saying I may need a liver transplant.

Comment from: katw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had a c scan on my lungs after shortness of breath, flu like symptoms. (early 2011) Was told I needed to have follow up on my liver because it looked large and swollen. Blood labs, more scans and then biopsy confirmed I have stage 1 PBC. I have lots of joint pain, exhaustion, and itching. I am on Actigall 900 mg daily, Also Cymbalta for depression.

Comment from: halo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am so glad I found this site it is hard talking to people about this disease when they have no idea what you are going through. The worst part for me is the pain. Hard to get going in the mourning's that is when it is the worst. I'm 37 and was just diagnosed 2 months ago still find it hard to believe I have this. Good luck to all of you and god bless.

Comment from: Tracy from Ontario, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) 8 years ago after I had my gallbladder removed as stones were suspected for severe abdominal pain. My liver enzymes were still high so a biopsy was performed. I have been taking 750 mg Urso daily and until recently experienced no symptoms. The last year I have had rheumatoid arthristis symptoms with no definite diagnosis. My immune system is wreaking havoc with my body. Recently I have been experiencing moderate itching mainly legs and arms. I am worried that the itching will get unbearable.

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PBC.
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with PBC?
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - Diagnosis Question: Please share your experience with the diagnosis of PBC.
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - Complications Question: What complications have you experienced with PBC?