Preschoolers: Child Development (cont.)
Positive Parenting of Preschoolers 3-5 Years of Age
- Continue to read to your child. Nurture her love for books by taking her to
the library or bookstore.
- Let your child help with simple chores.
- Encourage your
child to play with other children. This helps him to learn the value of sharing
- Help your child's language by speaking to her in complete
sentences and in "adult" language. Help her to use the correct words and
- Be clear and consistent when disciplining your child. Model the
behavior that you expect from him.
Child Safety First (Preschoolers 3-5 Years of Age)
As your child becomes more independent and increases her interaction with the
outside world, it is important that you and your child are aware of ways to stay
safe. Here are a few ways to protect your child.
- Tell your child why it is important to stay out of traffic. Tell him not to
play in the street or run after stray balls.
- Be cautious when letting your child
ride her tricycle. Keep her on the sidewalk and away from the street.
outdoor playground equipment. Make sure there are no loose parts or sharp edges.
- When your child is playing outside, keep watch over him at all times.
water safety. Teach your child to swim.
- Teach your child how to interact with
strangers and how not to interact.
SOURCE:Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2009 3:54:19 PM
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention