Patient Comments: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?

Comment from: carenna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am frustrated that I have suffered for over 20 years with bad premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and there is no cure. How can this be! I am in pain at least 1 week per month with painful breasts, cramps that make me stay home for 2 days per month. This is life debilitating.

Comment from: kdkd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

What really makes my PMS much worse is the physical tiredness (traveling, over exercising). Then the madness is really bad and uncontrollable! Now I am trying to have a little dark chocolate now and then to keep my serotonin higher and seems like it helps a bit. Also regular exercises.

Comment from: Angeli, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

Since the age of 30, I started having a lot of problems before my menstruation. I've noted that it occurs 10 days before the period. One of the most difficult symptoms I get is dizziness and lack of concentration. I get angry easily. I prefer not talking a lot then or even have a social life. Others won't understand me. I do have headaches also.

Comment from: PMS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I m 35 yes old going to be 36 soon. I have this PMS symptoms since I was 17-18 hours old. So far don't have any solution but exercise does help little bit. I hate to have these PMS symptoms every month and since last 3 months I'm having my periods every 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks. It's really hard to deal with these symptoms since I'm in a public dealing job.

Comment from: Not Alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

First of I should mention my symptoms...emotional, ridiculous irrational thoughts, bloating, cravings of caffeine, overeating, and of course good ol' acne. I have tried "the ring" which made me more depressed and emotional. I have tried antidepressant which just made me super tired. I don't do too well on birth control as the ones I have tried have given me more than one period a month and gosh, one is enough for me. I just have to say by reading other patients comments, I feel like I am not alone.

Comment from: pmssufferer, 45-54 Published: October 07

I wish there was a logical solution, because sometimes I fear I may not make it through the week prior to starting my period. My doctor put me on 5mg prozac for the week just prior to my period and am feeling some relief. But like the others I've read, the greatest relief is starting because then you know your good for at least 3 weeks. I wish I had a cure as I am 46 and have been dealing with this since 13 years of age. My mom said she knew there was a problem because my behavior changed drastically when my period started.

Comment from: Lika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

It took some time for me to realize that I actually have PMS. First, I thought these were the consequences of the miscarriage I had. It is so exhausting. I am tired of myself, even though I know it is PMS and it is all in my head. I can't fight the depression, the constant fear, sudden panic attacks, sudden tears. My poor husband has so much patience. Sometimes I just lock myself in the room so as not to annoy people. I am only 26. I tried vitamins, which were not really helpful.

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PMS.
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Natural Remedies Question: What natural or home remedies help soothe your PMS symptoms?
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Medications Question: What medications help soothe and relieve your PMS symptoms?