- Take the Menopause Quiz
- Disease Prevention in Women Slideshow Pictures
- Surprising Health Benefits of Sex Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) facts
- What is premenstrual syndrome?
- How common is PMS?
- When was PMS discovered?
- What causes PMS?
- What are the symptoms of PMS?
- How is the diagnosis of PMS made?
- What conditions are like PMS?
- How is PMS distinguished from other conditions?
- What treatments are available for PMS?
- What medications are used to treat PMS?
- Are there herbal or natural remedies for PMS?
- Can exercise help relieve some of the symptoms of PMS?
- Is there a "cure" for PMS?
Quick GuidePremenstrual Syndrome Pictures Slideshow: A Visual Guide to PMS Symptoms, Causes and Treatments
Is there a "cure" for PMS?
Widespread recognition of PMS has attracted a broad range of research interest in the treatment and management of the symptoms of PMS. Although there is no "cure" for PMS at this time, there are many options for managing its signs and symptoms. The first priority is an accurate diagnosis. Other medical or psychological conditions should be identified and treated. Proper diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes can improve overall health and thereby lead to the reduction of symptoms. If these measures are not effective, over-the-counter or prescription medications may be indicated. Most women can control their PMS symptoms successfully and continue to lead healthy and productive lives.
Medically reviewed by Wayne Blocker, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology
MedscapeReference. Premenstrual Syndrome.