Patient Comments: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments

Question:What kinds of treatments have been effective for your premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?

Comment from: Lou, 19-24 Female Published: August 31

About 10 days before my period starts I have all kinds of symptoms, bloating, nonstop crying, feeling sick, and getting angry. A friend told me about Angus Castus! I have started to take them this is the first month so far no bloating or mood swings, still feeling a tiny bit sick and frustrated at times but nowhere near as bad. Apparently it will take 3 months to notice a change but so far so good! :)

Comment from: Lizz, 13-18 Published: June 14

Since I started getting my period (11), I've always had a little worse set of mood swings and acne the 3-4 days before it started. And, as I've been getting older (18 now) I'm finding my mood swings to be almost hazardous to me and my family's health. In the span of 30 minutes, I got so mad I almost hit my grandmother with the stick for the vacuum, seriously contemplated running away from home, broke down into a crying fit, stopped crying to start yelling, cried some more, then started laughing. Not a good day. It's been good reading how other people deal with their problems. The only other female in my house is my grandmother who swears that when she grew up she was "not allowed" to have mood swings from PMS, so she claims she just didn't because her parents told her not to. I know it's a load of bull (my dad and grandfather both remember how bad her PMS used to be and tell me stories all the time), but it's not a really good example of how to handle them ("just don't get emotional" is really bad advice).

Comment from: Over.it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My symptoms became extreme after my 3-year-old daughter was born. Two weeks to the day, I know my period is on its way. It's as if a light switch turns on, and here comes the monster! My family also walks on egg shells. I absolutely hate myself during those two weeks. I have tried different birth controls, and they just seem to make me worse. I just stopped taking Loestrin 24 a few days ago. I've been on estrogen patches, and that didn't work. Now I am on to the vitamins. I am going to try primrose also. I have done research and am considering the whole hormonal imbalance stuff thyroid and adrenal glands, but what is there to help after being diagnosed? This stinks! I'm over it. And I think my family is, too.

Comment from: Seonie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I went to a Naturopath out of shear frustration due to dealing with PMS symptoms every month (mood swings anger to tears, bloating, cramps, super sensitive, irrational, depression and extreme tiredness).He gave me Leugolds drops for an under active thyroid, rescue remedy drops, colostrums capsules and silica for my hair and nails. I didn't have to take them all every day, but I did for the first month and wow what a difference. I was and am on The Pill. Started on Levlen (awful for me), then Norinen (or something similar - no good) and onto Trifeme which was perfect for me but the NZ Govt have just taken it off the market!!!! I went back onto Levlen with disastrous results - instant mood swings, depression and fatigue, not to mention the headaches that put me to bed even with Ibuprofen every four hours for a week (that can't be good for your system!). Now I'm trialing Yaz and so far 'things' seem to have settled somewhat. Unfortunately for me, Yaz isn't Govt funded so costs $50 for three months but if I don't experience the abovementioned symptoms while on Yaz, it has to be worth it.

Comment from: AllBummedOut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

To be honest, I don't think there is any guaranteed solution to PMS. I take Midol PMS Extra Strength for a few days before menstruating when I feel most irritable, and the result is a sort of numbness and overall "blah" feeling. I feel like my reactions are dull to say the least, and actually quite depressing because I'm a rather outgoing, loud, and in-your-face kind of person normally. It must also be noted that I am currently on birth control (Tricycline 28)and have been for eight years.

Comment from: kdkd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

What really makes my PMS much worse is the physical tiredness (traveling, over exercising). Then the madness is really bad and uncontrollable! Now I am trying to have a little dark chocolate now and then to keep my serotonin higher and seems like it helps a bit. Also regular exercises.

Comment from: Angeli, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

Since the age of 30, I started having a lot of problems before my menstruation. I've noted that it occurs 10 days before the period. One of the most difficult symptoms I get is dizziness and lack of concentration. I get angry easily. I prefer not talking a lot then or even have a social life. Others won't understand me. I do have headaches also.