Patient Comments: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments

Question:What kinds of treatments have been effective for your premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?

Comment from: PMS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I m 35 yes old going to be 36 soon. I have this PMS symptoms since I was 17-18 hours old. So far don't have any solution but exercise does help little bit. I hate to have these PMS symptoms every month and since last 3 months I'm having my periods every 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks. It's really hard to deal with these symptoms since I'm in a public dealing job.

Comment from: Not Alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

First of I should mention my symptoms...emotional, ridiculous irrational thoughts, bloating, cravings of caffeine, overeating, and of course good ol' acne. I have tried "the ring" which made me more depressed and emotional. I have tried antidepressant which just made me super tired. I don't do too well on birth control as the ones I have tried have given me more than one period a month and gosh, one is enough for me. I just have to say by reading other patients comments, I feel like I am not alone.

Comment from: pmssufferer, 45-54 Published: October 07

I wish there was a logical solution, because sometimes I fear I may not make it through the week prior to starting my period. My doctor put me on 5mg prozac for the week just prior to my period and am feeling some relief. But like the others I've read, the greatest relief is starting because then you know your good for at least 3 weeks. I wish I had a cure as I am 46 and have been dealing with this since 13 years of age. My mom said she knew there was a problem because my behavior changed drastically when my period started.

Comment from: Lika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

It took some time for me to realize that I actually have PMS. First, I thought these were the consequences of the miscarriage I had. It is so exhausting. I am tired of myself, even though I know it is PMS and it is all in my head. I can't fight the depression, the constant fear, sudden panic attacks, sudden tears. My poor husband has so much patience. Sometimes I just lock myself in the room so as not to annoy people. I am only 26. I tried vitamins, which were not really helpful.

Comment from: aussielover03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My life was a cycle of mood swings and tears before I would get my period. I was one of the few women that would actually cry in relief when my period started because then the end was in sight. My family was walking on eggshells around me and unable to adapt to the two totally different women I was, depending on where I was in my cycle. I saw my doctor and she put me on Prozac. The difference is amazing. I still have mood swings, but now I can control them. They no longer control me! I have also started a low-salt diet and mild exercise program. They may or may not have helped. Each month is different, but with Prozac I am able to have a life again, all month long, not just two weeks of the month!

Comment from: LaLa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I just got of off taking Lexapro for anxiety because I felt strong enough to do so after at least 2 years on it. Wow - am I noticing what seems to be PMS symptoms. I get bouts of anxiety, depression and nausea. I'm glad others have posted their experiences. Thank you - it helps! I'm keeping a diary via an iPhone app and about ready to make an appointment with my doctor to verify that this is indeed what is going on. Look forward to all your comments/feedback.

Comment from: Mimi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been feeling symptoms of pms since I was 14 years old, two weeks before my period, I changed, I can't focus on what I'm doing, cry a lot, and then laugh very hard that is helping me to manage my schedule, since I had my baby. I tried every pain medicine over the counter, now he is 3 years old, and what I'm doing to take control of pms, is try to exercise 3 or 5 days a week, now I just feel the symptoms of PMS 3 days before my period, so for those 3 days I have chocolates in my bedroom, ice cream in my freezer, and take hot bath before bed, ahhh also a heat pad helps me a lot and a hot chamomile tea, believe me I had tried everything.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am like a woman possessed for at least 10 days before my period. I regularly say I'm leaving home and at the time could just walk away from everyone. I will argue with anyone and really shouldn't drive a car! I've been prescibed a contraceptive pill but I put weight on with that (thus making me feel more upset). Antidepressants make me feel like a drugged up zombie, not quite firing on all four cylinders and people noticed as I'm very quick and always up for a laugh at other times. Just about to try evening primrose.