Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your PMDD?

Comment from: KAYLEE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started noticing the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) 1.5 years after the birth of my twins. I had intense mood swings, rage, frustration, swelling, bloating back to a pregnant state, migraines, depression, sadness, intense fatigue, I would burn food, disorientation, dizziness, impatience, outbursts, low energy, and low sex drive. Since second month I am taking natural bio-identical progesterone which helps symptoms. I was so grateful when I discovered it was PMDD, thought I was going dilly, people were saying it was in my head. When I started to calendar my symptoms it was a huge help to see exactly what was going on. Ovulation is also a tough time where the symptoms return. Supplementing and monitoring vitamin D levels also make a difference.

Comment from: Ollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) a year ago. But I knew something was wrong since my teen years. I get this uncontrollable anger, migraines, and feeling of hopelessness. Some months are ok and others are a struggle. First few days of my period are terrible, I just want to be alone. By the third day I'm fine. My boyfriend doesn't know how to deal with it, and I am not good with taking fluoxetine every day.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have shown symptoms of PMDD since my teen years but in retrospect they were nonexistent whenever I was using birth control pills. Now being over 35 and a smoker I'm unable to use the pill and the symptoms have been with me for years and growing steadily worse. I started taking an antidepressant 2 months ago which has helped and just a few days ago I had the IUD Mirena inserted. Since PMDD seems to be a condition which is related to the balance between hormones and brain chemicals, my doctor and I are hopeful that controlling the balance with both the progesterone and antidepressant will help treat my symptoms. My worst symptoms are crying jags with rapid mood swings into unjustifiable anger or rage, anxiety, depression, lethargy and confusion. My work relationships with coworkers has been severely affected by my PMDD.

Comment from: Nic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have different symptoms all month and have done since the age of 15 :/ I thought I was bi-polar because of the mood swings, but I do think it is more PMDD. I have not been diagnosed with either as I get palmed off and misdiagnosed with depression! Some symptoms ie mid cycle.. stabbing pains in ovary area (actually makes me stop and whince), headache, irritability, snapping, no patience, bitchy, hate people, uncontrollable crying and suddenly stopping, social withdrawal and suicidal thoughts coupled with extreme anger for no reason at all! I could bang my head on a wall! I am same just before the 'P' most months I have one week where I feel "ok" but its a living nightmare. Been on Prozac but doesn't relieve. Sometimes I am bed bound due to lack of energy and general fed up feelings, I cant say the words I want to say as someone will be offended!! trust me its bad! BUT when I finally have my "P" I feel great as soon as it arrives!! best day of the month!!!!!

Comment from: sufferinghusband, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My wife has PMDD. She frequently resorts to physical abuse, destruction of property, and threats of suicide as a result of the condition.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with PMDD.
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?