Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your PMDD?

Comment from: diane, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been diagnosed with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). I feel great usually the third day of my period. That usually lasts for about 10 to 12 days. I then get so depressed I don't want to be here anymore. I already suffered from depression and have been on many antidepressants. At first I would have two good weeks and then I would feel like I would lose something and gradually climb down to a deep depression for a couple of days and then slowly climb back up and get my period and feel great. I have tried so many antidepressants and still feel deeply depressed for about 16 days each month. Life is very bleak right now. I am trying oral contraceptives but am having severe stomach cramps, headaches, sinus burning and indigestion. I am trying a new oral contraceptive but am not feeling much better. I am not sure how much longer I can live this life; if you can even call it living. I wish my doctors had the answer. No fun.

Comment from: KAYLEE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started noticing the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) 1.5 years after the birth of my twins. I had intense mood swings, rage, frustration, swelling, bloating back to a pregnant state, migraines, depression, sadness, intense fatigue, I would burn food, disorientation, dizziness, impatience, outbursts, low energy, and low sex drive. Since second month I am taking natural bio-identical progesterone which helps symptoms. I was so grateful when I discovered it was PMDD, thought I was going dilly, people were saying it was in my head. When I started to calendar my symptoms it was a huge help to see exactly what was going on. Ovulation is also a tough time where the symptoms return. Supplementing and monitoring vitamin D levels also make a difference.

Comment from: Ollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) a year ago. But I knew something was wrong since my teen years. I get this uncontrollable anger, migraines, and feeling of hopelessness. Some months are ok and others are a struggle. First few days of my period are terrible, I just want to be alone. By the third day I'm fine. My boyfriend doesn't know how to deal with it, and I am not good with taking fluoxetine every day.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have shown symptoms of PMDD since my teen years but in retrospect they were nonexistent whenever I was using birth control pills. Now being over 35 and a smoker I'm unable to use the pill and the symptoms have been with me for years and growing steadily worse. I started taking an antidepressant 2 months ago which has helped and just a few days ago I had the IUD Mirena inserted. Since PMDD seems to be a condition which is related to the balance between hormones and brain chemicals, my doctor and I are hopeful that controlling the balance with both the progesterone and antidepressant will help treat my symptoms. My worst symptoms are crying jags with rapid mood swings into unjustifiable anger or rage, anxiety, depression, lethargy and confusion. My work relationships with coworkers has been severely affected by my PMDD.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I find citalopram works for me and I have been on it daily for the last 6 years. Sometimes I think I would like to try stopping it but my husband is too scared of the consequences. My husband took me to the doctors shortly after we were married for help. Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is so much worse than general premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and I can identify with all others on this site who have reported anger, rage, social isolation, suicidal urges and out of control impulsive behavior. We realized I didn't have clinical depression because of the same pattern each month of me being perfectly happy, calm and my normal self as soon as my period started.

Comment from: Nic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have different symptoms all month and have done since the age of 15 :/ I thought I was bi-polar because of the mood swings, but I do think it is more PMDD. I have not been diagnosed with either as I get palmed off and misdiagnosed with depression! Some symptoms ie mid cycle.. stabbing pains in ovary area (actually makes me stop and whince), headache, irritability, snapping, no patience, bitchy, hate people, uncontrollable crying and suddenly stopping, social withdrawal and suicidal thoughts coupled with extreme anger for no reason at all! I could bang my head on a wall! I am same just before the 'P' most months I have one week where I feel "ok" but its a living nightmare. Been on Prozac but doesn't relieve. Sometimes I am bed bound due to lack of energy and general fed up feelings, I cant say the words I want to say as someone will be offended!! trust me its bad! BUT when I finally have my "P" I feel great as soon as it arrives!! best day of the month!!!!!

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with PMDD.
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?