Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes

What caused your PMDD?

Comment from: Ania, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have every symptom of PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder). I have battled with myself and this all my life. I thought it was me, my fault, me being a horrible, vile, bipolar person. Doctors to quickly give us anti-depressants, I absolutely have so little respect for doctors. I've tried all my life to help myself through diet and exercise, read all the self-help books on how to be a better person. It has taken me this long to figure out it is PMDD. I am angry and upset that my whole life has been dictated by this. I have left jobs, relationships, had arguments with family, if I had charted it all my life all of the above would have been in my last two weeks of my cycle. As soon as my period or the second half is over, I am like a different person, I look different, and the dark cloud ascends. It is the most debilitating condition. I have absolutely no control over my thoughts, miserable thoughts, and angry, pessimistic, and suicidal thoughts. I am now 48 and peri menopausal/menopausal and I don't know if it will get better or worse. I am now on day 20, I have about 10 days more of this hideous condition, this month the negative thoughts/feelings/symptoms started on the 12th, so now I have approximately 8 to 10 days of being ok.

Comment from: Annie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 33, married and have a 2 year old. I finally spoke to my doctor about my severe mood changes during what I thought was PMS premenstrual syndrome). She prescribed fluoxetine. Once I started researching the drug and PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder), it was like someone put what I was feeling on paper. Almost every symptom was present and I was lashing out at my husband and daughter, followed by periods of deep guilt. I am normally overly laid back and very outgoing and upbeat, so the severe switch takes my life by storm. Mental illness does run in my family along with Crohn"s disease (I also have this) and I have very, very low blood pressure, even while I was pregnant. This is a new diagnosis for me and scary, but now I know and can help my family understand and take action against it.

Comment from: Sue, Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been living my life without knowing this PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) exists. I usually feel horrible a week before my period starts. Usually I get in fights with my husband, my son's behavior irritates me, everything is dark, and I tend to get very depressed. I also get very scared, but I spoke to my primary doctor and explain to her what happens to me every month, and she prescribed me sertraline hydrochloride. I hope I feel better, because it is horrible to live like this every month.

Comment from: nesreen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

PMDD happened to me just after marriage. I have food craving, palpitation, low blood pressure all the time except for the menstruation period. Life is so difficult to me.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with PMDD.
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?