Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes

What caused your PMDD?

Comment from: Annie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 33, married and have a 2 year old. I finally spoke to my doctor about my severe mood changes during what I thought was PMS premenstrual syndrome). She prescribed fluoxetine. Once I started researching the drug and PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder), it was like someone put what I was feeling on paper. Almost every symptom was present and I was lashing out at my husband and daughter, followed by periods of deep guilt. I am normally overly laid back and very outgoing and upbeat, so the severe switch takes my life by storm. Mental illness does run in my family along with Crohn"s disease (I also have this) and I have very, very low blood pressure, even while I was pregnant. This is a new diagnosis for me and scary, but now I know and can help my family understand and take action against it.

Comment from: nesreen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

PMDD happened to me just after marriage. I have food craving, palpitation, low blood pressure all the time except for the menstruation period. Life is so difficult to me.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with PMDD.
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?