Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with PMDD.

Comment from: CiCi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have dealt with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) for 15 years. I went to countless doctors, internists, obstetrician/gynecologists (too many to count), gastroenterologists, endocrinologists. That is when I learned what practicing medicine meant. They really didn't know what it was. Trial and error. Let's try this medicine and then we will try this. I lived it and still have trouble explaining it and people look at you like 'Oh you had PMS?' No! I lost so many jobs, I cannot tell you. You can get away with saying you have a stomach bug the first time even though they don't understand it lasting a week. But, when you have it again the next month they usually say this isn't working out. Very debilitating nausea, pain, fatigue like I had never had and have never experienced since, and sharp shooting pain. I have never had a baby but, I cannot imagine it being any worse pain. It felt like a knife being shoved up my bottom. I lost my home due to foreclosure. After I went through menopause I had something close to those feelings, but not totally debilitating a couple of times. Then none since, thank goodness. To know most likely you would be experiencing the same thing a month later, not only the symptoms but disrupting your life and your job. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. So, so hard to deal with. I would start on a medication and maybe not get sick for 2 months, sometimes 3, then boom, it is back. Three to eight percent of women get this! I wish more people knew about it because so many people think you are a hypochondriac or nuts. This is actually a recognized disorder in the AMA (American Medical Association) as a disability. You can get SSDI (social security disability insurance) for this now.

Comment from: Justme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

During my PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) I have the most difficult time! Tearing up over nothing, weight gain, over sleeping and irritability are just a few of the things I experienced. A couple of days after my period starts everything changes back and I feel like myself again! It's been tough on all of my family. So much so they keep up with my periods to gauge when it's okay to be around me. That changed once my doctor prescribed citalopram 10 mg. So though I hate the fact I take medicines, I do feel more like myself during the days leading up to my cycle.

Comment from: yaya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am extremely confused with my PMDD. When the time is really near my periods (one week before and a few days after) I became aggressive, sensitive, crying a lot, hurting myself and the loved one, my chest feels like it wants to burst out, I only can think about the negative things. My husband doesn't really understand what I'm going through. He always said that I am a person with a lot of drama and a person that can't receive advice or criticism. But actually I'm not! I really suffer from my emotional disturbance.

Comment from: msmiller, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

My PMDD is horrible! I have all kinds of symptoms ranging from really bad cramps that feel like labor pains, to nausea, bloating, fatigue, joint pain, back pain, headaches, mood swings, depression, etc. My doctor prescribed Zoloft which was like a miracle drug for me at first. When I first started to take Zoloft I would literally have no symptoms, my period would just "show up" with no warning but it doesn't seem to work for me as well as it did when I first started taking it.

Comment from: patrina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It's awful, just awful. I have PMDD and it is so hard to cope each day. I have had PMS every day for almost a year. I was offered a procedure (my weight was too much for a hysterectomy). I cannot think of the name off hand, but it is when they scrape your uterus. That was done 3 weeks ago and the pains are even worse. I just can't take it much longer. I have just gone on to sertraline, but that takes about 14 days to kick in, that is, if it works. The depression is just out of this world and you have no control over it and of course the pain and the vomiting; having no life. Even one day once a week pain free would be nice.

Comment from: dar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) for a while but got really bad 4 years ago. I'm on bupropion 2 times a day and have a nerve pill if I need it. I still have bad cramps but my life is way better with this drug.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?