Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with PMDD.

Comment from: yaya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am extremely confused with my PMDD. When the time is really near my periods (one week before and a few days after) I became aggressive, sensitive, crying a lot, hurting myself and the loved one, my chest feels like it wants to burst out, I only can think about the negative things. My husband doesn't really understand what I'm going through. He always said that I am a person with a lot of drama and a person that can't receive advice or criticism. But actually I'm not! I really suffer from my emotional disturbance.

Comment from: msmiller, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

My PMDD is horrible! I have all kinds of symptoms ranging from really bad cramps that feel like labor pains, to nausea, bloating, fatigue, joint pain, back pain, headaches, mood swings, depression, etc. My doctor prescribed Zoloft which was like a miracle drug for me at first. When I first started to take Zoloft I would literally have no symptoms, my period would just "show up" with no warning but it doesn't seem to work for me as well as it did when I first started taking it.

Comment from: patrina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It's awful, just awful. I have PMDD and it is so hard to cope each day. I have had PMS every day for almost a year. I was offered a procedure (my weight was too much for a hysterectomy). I cannot think of the name off hand, but it is when they scrape your uterus. That was done 3 weeks ago and the pains are even worse. I just can't take it much longer. I have just gone on to sertraline, but that takes about 14 days to kick in, that is, if it works. The depression is just out of this world and you have no control over it and of course the pain and the vomiting; having no life. Even one day once a week pain free would be nice.

Comment from: Andrea Wiles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

In 2008, I was originally diagnosed with PMDD. I would have two periods a month, for a week each time. The pain was unbearable. I could be sitting down and get a sharp, stabbing pain that was worse than a contraction, and it would take my breath away. I would get pains that doubled me over and made me crawl because they hurt so badly. I have had the mood swings, the depression, the anxiety, debilitating pain, etc. It has been so bad that in the late part of 2011 I was sent to an OB/GYN to have a hysterectomy done because of my severe PMDD. I ended up having a hysterectomy in February 2012, but the doctor left my ovaries because I was 33 years old at the time. I still had the symptoms, except now they were 10 times worse than before. I am seeing another OB/GYN, and he says the only thing left to do is remove my ovaries because the medication didn't work on me. I know having my ovaries removed means that I am going to need the extra hormones, but maybe I will feel better. PMDD is nothing to brush off.

Comment from: dar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) for a while but got really bad 4 years ago. I'm on bupropion 2 times a day and have a nerve pill if I need it. I still have bad cramps but my life is way better with this drug.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?