Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with PMDD.

Comment from: Spencer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I am a boy with premenstrual dysphoric disorder, PMDD (I am a female to male transgender guy)! I was diagnosed when I was around 17, and Prozac is the only thing that keeps me from being suicidal and despondent every month. I have to take 40 mg because apparently lower doses don't do enough to quell my hormonal despair and I still want to die on a monthly basis if I'm only on 20 mg or 30 mg. My physical symptoms (cramps, bloating, sensitive chest which I once described as 'tingling with rage') are probably average, but the moods are awful and when I tried to wean myself off of the Prozac at one point it was a disaster. I couldn't drag my sorry backside out of bed for those few days to nearly two weeks every month because I was so depressed. My class attendance slipped greatly, I attempted suicide, and my eating and sleeping habits became really unhealthy. For me, PMDD also brings up urges to binge eat and increased gender dysphoria. Fun times. Someday, I'm getting a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Holly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). It's awful. I can get so angry that I can't catch my breath. I want to die, everything feels so hopeless. I lay around and cry and eat. I have self-harmed in the past and am being treated for that but during PMDD I sometimes lose the battle and the blade wins. The feelings of deep depression and hopelessness is just about unbearable. I am currently on 40 mg of Prozac and my doctor said to start taking birth control along with that. So after this period I will start the birth control. I hope that will help because this last spell just about did me in.

Comment from: CiCi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have dealt with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) for 15 years. I went to countless doctors, internists, obstetrician/gynecologists (too many to count), gastroenterologists, endocrinologists. That is when I learned what practicing medicine meant. They really didn't know what it was. Trial and error. Let's try this medicine and then we will try this. I lived it and still have trouble explaining it and people look at you like 'Oh you had PMS?' No! I lost so many jobs, I cannot tell you. You can get away with saying you have a stomach bug the first time even though they don't understand it lasting a week. But, when you have it again the next month they usually say this isn't working out. Very debilitating nausea, pain, fatigue like I had never had and have never experienced since, and sharp shooting pain. I have never had a baby but, I cannot imagine it being any worse pain. It felt like a knife being shoved up my bottom. I lost my home due to foreclosure. After I went through menopause I had something close to those feelings, but not totally debilitating a couple of times. Then none since, thank goodness. To know most likely you would be experiencing the same thing a month later, not only the symptoms but disrupting your life and your job. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. So, so hard to deal with. I would start on a medication and maybe not get sick for 2 months, sometimes 3, then boom, it is back. Three to eight percent of women get this! I wish more people knew about it because so many people think you are a hypochondriac or nuts. This is actually a recognized disorder in the AMA (American Medical Association) as a disability. You can get SSDI (social security disability insurance) for this now.

Comment from: Justme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

During my PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) I have the most difficult time! Tearing up over nothing, weight gain, over sleeping and irritability are just a few of the things I experienced. A couple of days after my period starts everything changes back and I feel like myself again! It's been tough on all of my family. So much so they keep up with my periods to gauge when it's okay to be around me. That changed once my doctor prescribed citalopram 10 mg. So though I hate the fact I take medicines, I do feel more like myself during the days leading up to my cycle.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?